Who Do You Want in Round 2?

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

There's really no difference in the hype between the two when they got here. Palmer was going to win us multiple Super Bowls. And you have no idea if he will quit or not. Nobody thought Palmer would. You're totally missing the point.

Bullshit.  The quitter was supposed to be this Greek God at QB, but was the Reserved type, and a Lead by Example guy. Hell, the Quitter made Andy look aggressive.  Burrow is the Fiery, get in your face kinda guy, the guy that everyone is willing to play all out for.  I'll take 1 Burrow over Ten Quitters!!

3 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Bullshit.  The quitter was supposed to be this Greek God at QB, but was the Reserved type, and a Lead by Example guy. Hell, the Quitter made Andy look aggressive.  Burrow is the Fiery, get in your face kinda guy, the guy that everyone is willing to play all out for.  I'll take 1 Burrow over Ten Quitters!!

I dont think hes a get in your face type..

Hes cool calm and exudes confidence that his teammates pick up on..

But yes theyll play hard under his guidance....

New era..

I remember after he was drafted there was some psychoanalyst who said Palmer didn't have the natural leadership qualities you would want in a QB.  We hated it at the time, but it turned out to be right.  Burrow has all the field general tools you could want.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I remember after he was drafted there was some psychoanalyst who said Palmer didn't have the natural leadership qualities you would want in a QB.  We hated it at the time, but it turned out to be right.  Burrow has all the field general tools you could want.

I remember that report as well and allways stuck in my mind about Palmer..

Yes it turned out that way..

Your right about JB..

He has that IT factor in all facets of 

a true leader and abilities..

Josh Jones could be part of that protection he ll need..

16 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

If you read my post, I wasn't saying that there was no difference between the QBs. I said that the hype and expectations are the same. Palmer was going to be the saviour of the franchise based on ridiculous numbers in one good year at USC.

I am a full believer in intangibles.

More important for some positions than others. To some degree, we attribute the positive intangibles AFTER a guy has won, and ding the guys who don't win for not having them.

However, I think we are getting better a measuring the intangibles, to the degree possible. I mean, if they were measurable, they'd be tangible, not intangible.

Leadership, toughness, inspiration, overcoming adversity, clutch performance. Some of those do have metrics associated with them. Burrow being the top rated passer (by a wide margin) under pressure (and against the blitz, IIRC) is one. Watching his pocket presence and willingness to take a hit is another.

Yes, we need to improve the Oline and get more reliable WRs, and the D lacks depth beyond the starters. But I would take care of Joe first.

21 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

So what was your honest expectations, overall success wise, of Palmer. People say he's a piece of shit quitter now, but if you were to go back and read what people posted about him when he started, it won't look much different than the hoopla now.

9 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

I am a full believer in intangibles.

More important for some positions than others. To some degree, we attribute the positive intangibles AFTER a guy has won, and ding the guys who don't win for not having them.

However, I think we are getting better a measuring the intangibles, to the degree possible. I mean, if they were measurable, they'd be tangible, not intangible.

Leadership, toughness, inspiration, overcoming adversity, clutch performance. Some of those do have metrics associated with them. Burrow being the top rated passer (by a wide margin) under pressure (and against the blitz, IIRC) is one. Watching his pocket presence and willingness to take a hit is another.

Yes, we need to improve the Oline and get more reliable WRs, and the D lacks depth beyond the starters. But I would take care of Joe first.

"But I would take care of Joe First"..

That...

His name is Josh Jones..

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Rappoport tweeted earlier that Mims and Blacklock were on the short list at #33.

I saw that..

Blacklock combine 6'3 290lbs..

Some have him at 6'4 and 305 to 329..

Wtf??

Hes worthy..

Mims ..meh...

Josh Jones fell to us because Titans took Isaiah..bastards..

Its a gift for Joe..

Take the Gift!!

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

So what was your honest expectations, overall success wise, of Palmer. People say he's a piece of shit quitter now, but if you were to go back and read what people posted about him when he started, it won't look much different than the hoopla now.

I liked Palmer when we drafted him, he was an Incredible athlete, and I would respect him today if he hadn't quit. I know all the "Mike Brown" crap, but I also know he went out of his way to get TO on the team in '10, and then to quit afterwards was like a kid getting mad about playing with the toy he picked out.

4 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

I liked Palmer when we drafted him, he was an Incredible athlete, and I would respect him today if he hadn't quit. I know all the "Mike Brown" crap, but I also know he went out of his way to get TO on the team in '10, and then to quit afterwards was like a kid getting mad about playing with the toy he picked out.

Same.  He was one of my favorites all time until he quit.  And that's why I despise him now.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

If I am the Bengals, I am taking Zack Baun. The defense was fucking awful last year and a big part was the LB group and their inability to cover. To win, the whole team needs to improve. I totally get the concerns about the offensive line and I'm way cool with a player here in the second round but, Baun has the biggest need/value for me. I personally see no point of taking a lesser player for the line who isn't even going to play this year.

I also find players like Delpit, McKinney, Epenesa, Higgins, Gross-Matos and Sheault Jr. interesting. I definitely think there's enough players of solid value and need to drop back and get a great player.

I really, really just hope they don't make some stupid fucking reach on a project player.   

I really like Zach Baun too, but your reasoning seems rather flawed. Zach Baun is NOT going to help your pass coverage concerns with the LB corps. If you want that and that's what's most important to you, go for a cover backer type, not Zach Baun. 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I was on board with Palmer...

But not like JB..

Difference...leadership..

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

Jones is not coming in as a day one starter. He's a developmental player. He would have went much higher if he wasn't. Unfortunately Hart is the likely 2020 starter at RT no matter what OT they might take in R2. 

Josh Jones is a 4 year starter in college. He's both polished and athletic. He's an upgrade from Hart today. We can cut Hart and go with Johnson as the backup right away. 

8 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Zach Baun is NOT going to help your pass coverage concerns with the LB corps.

No but he is a guy that makes the QB get rid of the ball faster. Which certainly makes it easier for guys to cover. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Josh Jones is a 4 year starter in college. He's both polished and athletic. He's an upgrade from Hart today. We can cut Hart and go with Johnson as the backup right away. 

I’ll bet a ham sandwich they won’t cut Hart no matter who they draft. He might play a little less as part of a rotation but I guarantee he still plays. 
And I promise ya Jones wouldn’t still be on the board if teams thought he would be a day one plug and play starter.
Doesn’t make him a bad pick though.

I’m fine with him being the guy....I just don’t think he starts right away unless it’s at RG. 

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Same.  He was one of my favorites all time until he quit.  And that's why I despise him now.

After watching the Football Life episode about CP , I felt better about why he quite but it seemed like other team mates sent him up to Mikey to convince him to change. What CP should have done, perhaps after the initial meeting with Mikey, was to bring up 10 key guys and have another meeting. He alone could not force Mikey's hand and then he quit. I feel for him being the scapegoat but he took the wrong tactic. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’ll bet a ham sandwich they won’t cut Hart no matter who they draft. He might play a little less as part of a rotation but I guarantee he still plays. 
And I promise ya Jones wouldn’t still be on the board if teams thought he would be a day one plug and play starter.
Doesn’t make him a bad pick though.

I’m fine with him being the guy....I just don’t think he starts right away unless it’s at RG. 

Whit was

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No but he is a guy that makes the QB get rid of the ball faster. Which certainly makes it easier for guys to cover. 

I want a player that gives JB time to throw..

Thats not Baun..

His name is Josh Jones..

And yes he could play like a rook at times And Still provide better protection than Hart...run game too..

Harts contract is cheap..keep as a reserve this yr..

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

If you read my post, I wasn't saying that there was no difference between the QBs. I said that the hype and expectations are the same. Palmer was going to be the saviour of the franchise based on ridiculous numbers in one good year at USC.

Let me share something with you regarding that one year wonder stuff. While everyone admits Joe was a much better QB in 1019, take a guess what major college team led the country in dropped balls in 2018?  Yep, that very same, awesome receiving corps of the LSU Tigers!

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

This is irrelevant. Why do you keep talking about it? Fans on message boards can "hype" all they like; it has no bearing on anything.

Archived