Day 3 Draft Thread

I'm still mystified by this draft.  How do you not select help for the OL when it's a huge question mark.  Even if Jonah is good that still only leaves 1 NFL caliber tackle on the team.  LG is a question mark with Jordan and RG is a gaping hole.  God forbid if there is an injury.  Burrow will be running for his life if he is capable of running after being behind this line.

6 minutes ago, Jet23 said:

Am I missing something here?  Is our OL much better than we thought it was???????

No its not...

I think there's something goong on we aren't privy to with oline..

Could it br they're hoping to sign or trade for a solid vet this year and hit it hard in 2021??

7 minutes ago, IsaacCurtis:TheReal#85 said:

Well, some boards had Kareem as a top 100 guy.

Listed as a DE. Wonder if they see him as a edge guy when we play a 3 man front?

Don't know much. Writeup seems to say better vs the run. 

Still, we only had 4 edge guys on the roster: Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, and Brown.

And Brown isn't really an edge guy. Much better inside.

Anyone who watched our run D last year know we sucked on the edges.

2 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

I'm still mystified by this draft.  How do you not select help for the OL when it's a huge question mark.  Even if Jonah is good that still only leaves 1 NFL caliber tackle on the team.  LG is a question mark with Jordan and RG is a gaping hole.  God forbid if there is an injury.  Burrow will be running for his life if he is capable of running after being behind this line.

You realize LB was a bigger need, right?

Exactly when would you have drafted one and who?

It cracks me up when people get mad we didn't take some guy in round 5 who isn't better than what we already have

1 minute ago, BengalMobster said:

And Brown isn't really an edge guy. Much better inside.

Anyone who watched our run D last year know we sucked on the edges.

I dont care for Brown much..

4 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

Somethings in the works on this..

Trade or FA signing??

14 minutes ago, BengalMobster said:

It cracks me up when people get mad we didn't take some guy in round 5 who isn't better than what we already have

Why is it a bigger need.  Protecting Burrow should be their #1 priority. Sorry This team needs 2-3 starters on the oline. I hope we see a trade for Thurney or Jackson 

3 minutes ago, BengalMobster said:

They're not going to come out and say their guys suck. Of course they would've upgraded the offensive line if things fell right.

Taylor actually talked about this in his press conference this morning.  They asked him about OL and he said "we like who we have in the building but we obviously have to improve a lot there, we're not running away from that"

16 minutes ago, bengals7833 said:

Why is it a bigger need.  Protecting Burrow should be their #1 priority. Sorry This team needs 2-3 starters on the oline. I hope we see a trade for Thurney or Jackson 

Umm... because we had like 2 LBs on the entire roster. At least we have guys we can line up and play with on the line.

Again, who did you want us to draft and when?

Watching video on Kareem he seems to be too slow to be an Edge in the NFL... they'll have to use him as a contain/setter in the run game because he does at least seem pretty strong and technically sound.  There is one video of just his plays against Georgia last season and that's facing two first round tackles... he is mostly erased in passing downs but he does ok holding up against the run and forcing the play into tight gaps.  Against weaker tackles in  other videos he can throw some of them aside and he is relentless so he has a chance to at least be part of the rotation.

3 minutes ago, BengalMobster said:

LB was a big need for sure and I dont mind the picks but it wasnt the biggest need ahead of OL.  You have to protect your franchise QB or you will end up with another Klingler.  

Higgins is a luxury pick they didnt have to make and could have traded down to grab an offensive lineman.

13 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

LB was a big need for sure and I dont mind the picks but it wasnt the biggest need ahead of OL.  You have to protect your franchise QB or you will end up with another Klingler.  

Higgins is a luxury pick they didnt have to make and could have traded down to grab an offensive lineman.

How is that a luxury pick? We were starting guys like Damion Willis, Stanley Morgan, and Alex Erickson last year. 

And again, who did you want to take at 33 instead?

19 minutes ago, BengalMobster said:

Umm... because we had like 2 LBs on the entire roster. At least we have guys we can line up and play with on the line.

Again, who did you want us to draft and when?

First all I would have used our second round pick on the line. Secondly just because they have guys to line up doesn’t mean their worth a shit.  He could sign the same quality shit lbs right now 

46 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

They have said for a while they feel good about the OL.  This draft is proving that, for better or worse.

1 minute ago, bengals7833 said:

First all I would have used our second round pick on the line. Secondly just because they have guys to line up doesn’t mean their worth a shit.  He could sign the same quality shit lbs right now 

You would've just turned in a pick that says "random offensive lineman?" 

9 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They have Mixon Gio (for now) plus Treveon Williams....and Anderson if healthy...

Just sayin..

Like I said, nobody.

Gio brings nothing to the table any more- an undersized RB who lacks speed and can't make people miss. Anderson is a walking MASH unit. I like Trayveon but not sure he's a guy who can carry the load.

1 hour ago, soundstreamer said:

Well, I get where you are coming from, but a couple points.

1) Though they may struggle at times, at least we have guys with NFL experience (starting) on the Oline. Hopkins, Hart, XSF, & Jordan all have starting experience. Hell, so do Price & Redmond. Add in Jonah and Johnson. That is 8 guys.

At LB, we basically had 2 guys: Bynes and Pratt. No problem with adding 2 LBs. 

At edge, we basically had 3 guys. 

And Kareem can help a bit at DT.

Bottom line, we needed sone bodies on D. At least we have offensive lineman.

2) RG is not a gaping hole, we got XSF to play RG.

3) Is your main beef not taking Jones? I mean, Burrow had to be first. WR is a need, with AJs health & Ross' struggles. Plus it gives Joe another weapon.

And we needed bodies on D. We got 3 captains. Coaches sons.

4) We had a ton of holes. QB, LB, WR, TE, RT, OG, edge, DT depth. No way we could fill them all with 5 picks.

We have gotten 4 guys who will either start or play a lot of snaps (Burrow, Higgins, L. Wilson, Davis-Gaither). Plus a guy who should be a solid situational guy (Kareem).

Have heard the staff say we wanted to reduce Gino's snaps, and that Hubbard & Dunlap played too much when Lawson got hurt. We needed bodies.

Edit: When we dump Andy, we will have cash. Can sign FAs or get cap casualties.

1 minute ago, BengalMobster said:

Like I said, nobody.

Gio brings nothing to the table any more- an undersized RB who lacks speed and can't make people miss. Anderson is a walking MASH unit. I like Trayveon but not sure he's a guy who can carry the load.

I'd spend a 7th on Warren, but that's being a bearcat homer. but I love how he wears down defenders and gets stronger with more carries.

Archived