Compensation Picks

Did they forget to consider the overall increase in salaries as they slotted the comp picks for this year?

In past years, it seemed like there would be three or four comp picks in round three, and maybe five or six picks in round four.  This year, there were TEN comp picks in Round 3 and EIGHT comp picks in Round 4.  Doesn’t that seems out of whack? 

:shrug:  

I am shocked we did not have any this year.  Did I miss something?  We picked up Free Agents last year compared to ones we lost?  I haven’t been paying attention closely anymore.  I am sure someone on here could explain it to me.  Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

Did they forget to consider the overall increase in salaries as they slotted the comp picks for this year?

In past years, it seemed like there would be three or four comp picks in round three, and maybe five or six picks in round four.  This year, there were TEN comp picks in Round 3 and EIGHT comp picks in Round 4.  Doesn’t that seems out of whack? 

:shrug:  

No comments on this?  Am I the only one that thinks that there were too many comp picks in rounds one and two?  :shrug: 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/29/how-the-nfl-drafts-compensatory-pick-formula-works/

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents (“CFA”) than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.  The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.  Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.  No club may receive more than four compensatory picks in any one year.  If a club qualifies for more than four compensatory picks after offsetting each CFA lost by each CFA gained of an equal or higher value, the four highest remaining selections will be awarded to the club.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement limits the number of compensatory selections to the number of clubs then in the League (32).

Translation: the NFL will grant 32 compensatory picks based on the top 32 conditions met with the most picks a single team can be awarded being four. How they rank those picks are still debatable.

Here’s how I interpret it. The league looks at each team’s performance in free agency, with free agents being defined as players whose contracts have expired and have signed on with a new team. It does not include players who were waived, released, cut, chucked or whatever. It also does not take into account players that sign back with their old teams.

The league then calculates each team’s net gains versus their net losses and compares them to the rest of the league in a pool of scenarios ranking them 1-32. Then they weed out any fifth-pick possibilities and move the next picks up accordingly.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/29/how-the-nfl-drafts-compensatory-pick-formula-works/

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents (“CFA”) than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.  The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.  Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.  No club may receive more than four compensatory picks in any one year.  If a club qualifies for more than four compensatory picks after offsetting each CFA lost by each CFA gained of an equal or higher value, the four highest remaining selections will be awarded to the club.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement limits the number of compensatory selections to the number of clubs then in the League (32).

Translation: the NFL will grant 32 compensatory picks based on the top 32 conditions met with the most picks a single team can be awarded being four. How they rank those picks are still debatable.

Here’s how I interpret it. The league looks at each team’s performance in free agency, with free agents being defined as players whose contracts have expired and have signed on with a new team. It does not include players who were waived, released, cut, chucked or whatever. It also does not take into account players that sign back with their old teams.

The league then calculates each team’s net gains versus their net losses and compares them to the rest of the league in a pool of scenarios ranking them 1-32. Then they weed out any fifth-pick possibilities and move the next picks up accordingly.

Yes, I know all of that (well, most of that).  My question was in reference to the number of comp picks awarded in rounds three and four, as it seemed to me to be more than usual in those two rounds...and I was wondering if the committee had not been taking into account the overall increase in contracts through the years (thus, more and more comp pics in earlier rounds).

I did my own research. From 2014, the total number of comp picks in rounds 3 AND 4:

2014-4

2015-8

2016-13

2017-17

2018-9

2019-11

2020-18

So, 2017 also had a large number (11 in 3rd and 6 in 4th). 

Seems like a lot of EARLY comp pics.

21 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

offtopic, so with all the signings we wont get shit next year either?

Its not who we sign rather who we lose.  We haven't been lighting the league on fire recently so our losses are not considered high round.

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its not who we sign rather who we lose.  We haven't been lighting the league on fire recently so our losses are not considered high round.

The first thing considered is how many free agents you lost minus how many you signed...regardless of contract size. If you signed more (or just as many) than you lost, you don’t get any comp picks.  

1 hour ago, BBR said:

As far as which round the compensatory pick is in, the main factor that determines that is the dollar amounts for the contract.  They try and find cut-off points to separate the groups of contracts.

Yes.  My initial question was whether they were taking into account that salaries have risen year after year, since TEN third-round comp picks seemed excessive when my memories were that there were typically only three or four third-round comps.  

Obviously I hadn’t been paying too much attention to comp picks, as there were ELEVEN third-round comp picks in 2017.

IMO, having ten or eleven third-round comp picks is excessive, and the “dividing lines” should be adjusted a bit.

Archived