Your grade for the 2020 Bengals Draft ? (+ media grades)

GRADE THE BENGALS 2020 NFL DRAFT  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What grade does the 2020 Bengals NFL draft get from you ?

• A+
    • A
    • A -
    • B+
    • B
    • B -
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. What most closely sums up your outlook at the moment?

• I keep thinking I am dreaming. The last 3 days were Bonertastic!
    • I've already googled Tampa hotel rooms around next year's Super Bowl time.
    • I am irrationally optimistic and don't care. Burrow will win a playoff game this year! Who Fucking Dey!
    • I'm pretty happy, but tempered, just because I know how the universe treats Bengals fans.
    • I am feeling ok. But right now all of this is just talk. I will wait to be excited until I see some wins.
    • I'm feeling a little bummed. I wanted other players. I think that not enough has changed. #GrumpyQuarantine
  3. 3. Grade just the JOE BURROW pick?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F
  4. 4. Grade just the TEE HIGGINS pick?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F

New York Post gave the Bengals the 3rd best draft overall ... 

3) Cincinnati Bengals

Grade: A

Key Picks: Joe Burrow (QB, LSU), Tee Higgins (WR, Clemson), Logan Wilson (ILB, Wyoming), Akeem Davis-Gaither (OLB, Appalachian State)

Analysis: Each of those players was the first pick in a round. It’s difficult to screw up a draft that way. Native son Burrow brings badly needed franchise-changing swagger.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/2020-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

SB Nation gives the Bengals an A- ...

Cincinnati Bengals

As expected for months, the Bengals got things started in the 2020 draft with quarterback Joe Burrow of LSU. After several years of middling play by Andy Dalton, the Bengals now have a quarterback to build their franchise around. Burrow should quickly assert himself as the team’s leader thanks to his toughness and moxie. On the field, Burrow excels at exploiting the weaknesses in a defense and maneuvering around the pocket.

In the second round, the Bengals got Burrow a weapon in Clemson wide receiver Tee Higgins. He gives the Bengals a wide receiver who excels at high-pointing the ball and getting physical with defensive backs. He’s not a speed receiver, but he fits nicely with the type of throws Burrow can make.

Cincinnati’s linebacker play has been suspect for years, so it makes sense that the team would take two in Logan Wilson of Wyoming and Akeem Davis-Gaither of Appalachian State with back-to-back picks. Davis-Gaither is the model of a current linebacker who has speed and athleticism to burn. Wilson is a good three-down inside linebacker who should quickly assume a starting job.

Notre Dame pass rusher Khalid Kareem should provide good depth and Kansas offensive tackle Hakeem Adeniji has nice developmental potential.

Grade: A-

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/25/21235709/nfl-draft-grades-2020-winners-losers-final

Bleacher Report ...

Cincinnati Bengals: B+ 

Cincinnati kicked off Friday by adding Clemson's Tee Higgins to a crowded wide receiver room. Higgins should be a strong complement to A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd in an offense that can also hurt defenses through Joe Mixon in the ground game.

In Zac Taylor's final year on the Los Angeles Rams staff, he got to work with Jared Goff, who had a pair of 1,000-yard receivers in Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods. No. 1 overall selection joe Burrow is used to thriving in an offense with multiple star receivers, as he had Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson at his disposal at LSU. 

The pieces are in place for offensive success, but the Bengals still have a steep climb ahead in the AFC North. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888565-nfl-draft-grades-2020-team-by-team-list-of-scores-and-overall-analysis

Sporting News (pick by pick on first 3) ... 

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB, Bengals

• Grade: A

Burrow (6-3, 221 pounds) cemented his status as an elite QB prospect by posting the best passing season in college football history, showing strong NFL qualities with his arm, accuracy, decision-making and leadership. Offensive-minded coach Zac Taylor gets his high-floor option to replace Andy Dalton, and Burrow should tap into some of his high ceiling starting immediately as a rookie.

33. Cincinnati Bengals: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

• Grade: A

After getting QB Joe Burrow in the first round, the Bengals get some big-time help for him while also complementing A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd. Higgins is a dangerous, all-around playmaker who can be a force in the red zone at 6-4, 216 pounds. He posted 59 receptions for 1,167 yards and 13 TDs in 15 games last season. He also rushed for a 36-yard score against LSU in the College Football Playoff national championship game.

65. Cincinnati Bengals: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

• Grade: B+

The Bengals got the new leader for their offense in Burrow. Wilson can potentially give them the same thing for a defense where the linebacker corps has been an issue for a few years. Wilson (6-2, 241 pounds) is a savvy athlete with a great combination of toughness and agility.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2020-live-picks-results/1u86adwa8sx4s14uhvepxtxuwe

A.

The first three or four rounds are really all you can ever evaluate.

Burrow was a no-brainer.

Tee Higgins? I know he slipped a little bit in the draft process, but a year ago, he was considered a lock to be a Top Ten pick. It’s hard not to be excited about getting him at 33. AND he’s coming into a position group where he doesn’t have to be the first option any time soon. I like it a lot.

Before yesterday, I had never heard of Logan Wilson. I now have a full-on man crush. I believe he’s a Day 1 starter. What I SEE is everything I HEARD about Nick Vigil. Fluid athlete that can RUN; wrap up tackler; good ball skills.

ADG - He can play situationally. If we’re lucky he can do more. His floor is safe, though, because - at worst - he’s a core special teamer.

The rest? Maybe there’s a gem. Maybe they’re all camp fodder. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1.1 Joe Burrow: A.  This was a great pick for all of the reasons we've all discussed for months.  It will be nice to have a QB that has some moxie after both Carson and Andy were more "California cool".  We should see Mixon involved in the passing game more as Burrow used CEH as a check down receiver a lot at LSU. 

2.1 Tee Higgins: B+.  Tee Higgins is a good receiver.  He's been compared to AJ Green, but he's a couple of levels below that.  Tee's going to make the contested catches as it looks like he's got a crazy wingspan and strong hands.  It looks like he needs to do a better job of creating separation, but if he and Joe can get the back shoulder fade timing down that will will a dangerous weapon for the next 10+ years.  I don't think he'll scare teams deep, but he can get over the top, stack the CB and give the QB a nice window to drop the ball into.  I would think he'll do most of his damage in that 10-20 yard part of the field.  AJ, Tee, Tyler and J. Ross should all see the field a lot if we play to Burrow's strengths.  Even Auden Tate and CJ should get some nice run.  The redzone will be interesting with all of those big targets then throw in Ross' quicks and it should make for a lot of options.

3.1 Logan Wilson: B-.  Admittedly I didn't know a ton about Logan Wilson until maybe a week before the draft when his name was rising.  He seems like a jack of all trades, master of none.  He's good/solid at everything, but not really going to wow you.  He seems to be a solid tackler and smart in coverage.  He's got good acceleration and good size for the position.  He should immediately be able to contribute on D and by the end of the year hopefully he outplays Bynes.  He also seems to be a pretty good blitzer which will be nice to help put pressure on the QB.  Looking at our division I don't think he's the type of LB to really affect Larmar Jackson in the open field, but really, who is?

4.1 Akeem Davis-Gaither (ADG): B+.  ADG is like a hybrid LB, Edge, Safety.  He's under 230 lbs, quick and does everything on the field.  He's got a better chance against quick players in the open field, but I think you can get creative with him in different blitz packages.  He should be OK in coverage and do decent against the run if he's not in there for 50+ snaps.  He played all of last year with a stress fracture in his ankle or foot and still looks super quick on tape.  There are rumors about a bone on bone knee issue, but I don't think that's been confirmed anywhere.  

5.1 Khalid Kareem: C.  Kareem is a player you need on your team.  He's going to set the edge in the running game, get a few coverage sacks and provide rest for players like Dunlap, Hubbard and Lawson on 1st and 2nd down.  He's a guy that I don't think you'll notice when he's out there for good reasons.  I guess you could slide him inside on passing downs every once in a while, but I'm not sure how effective he'd be.  At 260 lbs, I don't think he's quick enough to get around the interior linemen.  Good, solid pick, should also play on special teams.

6.1 Hakeem Adeniji: C.  For the 6th round I guess this is a solid pick.  I don't think I watched one Kansas game, but it looks like he's got the athleticism to succeed, but maybe not the technique or consistency.  We had to bring another body in to compete and I'd rather take a chance late on a guy with the athleticism/body for it.  I would guess he'll make the team and backup both tackle positions and maybe even both guard positions.  He might develop into a starter in a few years, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make it to a 2nd contract. 

7.1 Markus Bailey: B+.  Easily my favorite day 3 pick.  If not for ACL injuries in both knees, he would have gone a lot higher.  He's like diet-Logan Wilson.  He does everything well.  I think Wilson may be a little stronger at the point of attack, but Bailey may be a little better in coverage.  If he can stay healthy this will be the steal of the draft.  Great time to take a chance in the 7th round. 

Overall I'd give this draft a solid "B".  I think I would have rather had M. Pittman Jr. or Denzel Mims over Higgins, but it depends on what you want in a WR.  I like that Higgins is so much younger than Mims (and Pittman I think) and he still has room to grow.  I love the focus on LB, but not addressing the O-line until the 6th round doesn't sit well with me.  Passing on Josh Jones twice wasn't smart, IMO.  Jones may turn out to be a bad OT, but it looks like he was worth the risk.  If we know ADG and Bailey would be there that may have changed their thought process in that 3rd round, but there's no way to tell. 

I go A at this point.

Every player drafted was a team captain except Tee Hig and he was only a junior.  In other words, looked

for leadership and self motivation.  

Looks like they pretty much went with best player available in each round while holding on to the first pick

of course bypassing quarterbacks after drafting The Tiger King in the first round as well as running backs

(the XFL pick up lessened the need there) and tight ends.  Would have liked to seen them get Moss in free

agency but...

Like all the linebackers selected including the one in free agency.  Extra credit here with being able to finally

flush Hardy Nickerson once and for all.

Offensive line is still a work in progress.  Wait to see who gets cut elsewhere or catch a team trying to fly under

the radar sneaking a good prospect on to their practice squad.

Not downing their grade for this but it would be nice to see a kicker or two come in for at least competition if

not upgrade over Round Randolph.  

We know we are getting an extra first round pick this year when the IR whale spits out Jonah.

How about the much maligned Drew Sample?  Isn't he supposed to be a good blocking tight end?

Can't recall, actually, but I am not writing him off.  I'm thinking good addition to the line as a blocker

or snatch a short pass or two as an outlet or by design.  I think he could be the breakout player of the year.

Best overall draft in years.  

10 hours ago, gupps said:

Solid B.

Sorry, I  just don't like the Higgens pick so I'm docking them 1 letter grade.

Same, but I'm hoping they know something about the health & status of Jonah Williams that we don't.  My concern is that it's more of the "think happy thoughts" decision making that made them stick with Ogbuehi & Glenn (& so many others) when everyone else could tell at a glance they weren't up to it.

That being said, I don't think Higgins is a bad pick in his own right & fan favorite AJ Green is another guy they haven't been able to count on recently. The last big draft pick at WR is a bust (& another one they just can't quit), so I don't mind building some depth there.  

Draft grades before anyone steps on the field are pretty silly but I went ahead and gave it an A- .

34 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Same, but I'm hoping they know something about the health & status of Jonah Williams that we don't.  My concern is that it's more of the "think happy thoughts" decision making that made them stick with Ogbuehi & Glenn (& so many others) when everyone else could tell at a glance they weren't up to it.

That being said, I don't think Higgins is a bad pick in his own right & fan favorite AJ Green is another guy they haven't been able to count on recently. The last big draft pick at WR is a bust (& another one they just can't quit), so I don't mind building some depth there.  

Draft grades before anyone steps on the field are pretty silly but I went ahead and gave it an A- .

Williams was cleared to play late last season, health should not be an issue at all. 

With having about 18 hours before our 2nd-round pick and about 12 hours before our 4th-round pick, I fully expected that we would be trading back once (or twice) and picking up an extra pick (or two).  I imagine that teams came calling, but the Bengals fell in love with picking up a “falling” player at a position of need (despite some fans here claiming WR wasn’t a need — the team apparently thought it was) and stayed put for Higgins and ADG in rounds 2 and 4, respectively.

Like others, I was hoping to see them address the offensive line sooner (with a better player).  For years, “we” (go-bengals “we”) have recognized the offensive line as a weakness...and like most of “us”, I don’t understand how the coaching staff can’t see it.  Hopefully, with the addition of Jonah, Xavier, and Hakeem, the team is able to prove “us” wrong (The OL staying healthy will be key.).

I give our draft a B based upon what I thought the team’s priorities/focus should have been...but I’m no football expert (however, I did once stay at a Holiday Inn Express). 😎

🦗

I went A-. But what do I know?

Individually: Burrow (A+), Higgins (B), Wilson (A), Davis-Gaither (A-), Kareem (B-), Adeniji (B), Bailey (B+). Early picks get more weight.

Burrow is a franchise QB with Pro-Bowl, All-Pro, HOF, and all-timer potential in my view. Accuracy, poise, pocket presence, competitor, leader, captain, willing to take a hit, can make plays out of pocket.

A tad more concerned about Higgins. No issue going WR over OT, as I do not think any of the OT options would have helped this year anyway. I prefer to get some FA/cut help & draft a plug & play stud next year. I preferred Pittman as a possession guy who can help immediately (bigger, stronger) and some of the rawer guys had more burst. Have concerns about Tee getting separation. Still, has has positional flexibility (wide/slot) that that the other options did not & allows him to play with any 2 of AJ, Ross, Boyd, and Tate. And just turned 21, so still could get stronger. Bengal fan. Modeled game on AJ.

Love the Wilson pick. Outside of the LBs we were considering at 33 (Murray, Queen, Brooks), he was the best option. They all went R1 & we got Wilson top 3rd. Played DB in high school. 10 picks. Can play either inside LB spot. Coverage guy next to Bynes or better run stuffer with Pratt/ADG.

Also love the ADG pick. He played edge/S/OLB/nickel in college. Versatile piece. Better vs blocks than size suggests. Captain. Coach's son. Could see him as a WILL in 3-4 or 4-3 sets, inside in a nickel.

Like the Kareem pick. Steady Eddie. Effort guy. Captain. Smart. Good vs the run. Think he can play rotation snaps at DE or end in a 3 man front, and maybe some DT on passing downs. Think he probably beats out Brown for DE4.

Adeniji is a solid project pick. 4 year starter. Captain. Can play either tackle spot. Played guard at Senior Bowl. Should displace Redmond on the roster by next year. Or Price if we get another C.

Really like the Bailey pick. Like a Jr version on Wilson. Little smaller. Co-captain. Only downside is the injuries, without them, he'd have been gone long before. If healthy, he is ahead of Evans for the #5 LB spot.

Collectively: 6 captains. 2 sons of coaches. Every guy is an experienced, productive, smart, team oriented guy. I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which are pretty darn good. I think 5 play significant snaps this year, and if Bailey is healthy, it could be 6. Adeniji will take some development.

We should be a lot better, but still have a way to go. Mostly at Oline, TE, DE, and DT depth. But we collected a lot of contributors this off-season. 

Guys who did not play for us last year:

Starter/stars: Green, Reader.

Starter/star potential: Burrow, Williams.

Starters: Bell, Waynes, Bynes, Alexander, Su'a-Filo.

Potential starter/star: Higgins, Wilson.

Rotation guy/starter potential: ADG

Rotation guys: Kareen, Bailey

That is 9 immediate starters with the potential for 2-3 more pkus 2 rotation guys. 14 guys. 25% of the roster.

Plus Sims, and Thomas as depth/ST guys and Adeniji for development. 

And we may not be done yet.

Like others have mentioned, I am happy with nearly all of the picks but I wished we had done more to help the o-line.  The bottom line is if Burrow develops into what we all hope he can be, then almost nothing else about this draft will be remembered.  The Higgins pick was a BPA move and I understand why they did it.  I'm optimistic about the linebackers we took and it checked a major need.  As expected, many of the players taken were at the Senior Bowl and we got a close look at them. Hopefully that advantage plays to our benefit.

Archived