Dalton Released

whodey365

6 hours ago, crazycat said:

Hopefully they 1) either resign him at a lower cost, 2) find a quality veteran QB to be the backup. I do not want to go into the season with the garbage we have for backup QBs.

1. Sign a reasonable veteran backup for a year

2. Eventually include Finley in final

3. Groom Dolegala to be the primary backup for 2021-22

What are the cap ramifications in cutting Dalton?

6 minutes ago, snarkster said:

1. Sign a reasonable veteran backup for a year

2. Eventually include Finley in final

3. Groom Dolegala to be the primary backup for 2021-22

What are the cap ramifications in cutting Dalton?

I take it they gain 17.7 on their cap space.

Still have vets to sign..

William Jackson..Mixon maybe. 

Jason Peters should be equated in there.

Can save more cutting Shaun Williams

Gio Bernard and Alex Errickson (who's due allmost 2mil. this season!)....

Changes keep coming...

Just now, UncleEarl said:

It wouldn't be so bad.  When he pisses down his leg in the playoffs again we can all have a big laugh at the Stealers expense.

I believe Dalton wouldnt sign with Shittsburgh out of loyalty and much respect for the old man.. 

46 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Andy was what he was...no more no less.  But I have thought for a long time, earlier in his career the Bengals should have given him more competition for the QB spot.  I thought they coddled him a bit and it showed in his lack of progression.  

I dont think it was competition..

Hell he had a competitive nature to his game...

Bottom line was athleticism ...he was Just Average...

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

That source: Numbers.    😎

I still have sources but this one is a little common sense.  Jay Gruden knows Andy Dalton and has worked with him since before the draft and before the holdout ended.  Actually I would be wrong because it was Jon Gruden working him out during the holdout brought on by the Collective Bargaining Agreement issue (I think that was the issue).  Jay needs a QB for his system and will most likely go back to a familiar face.

I'd go as far to say that Dalton will not miss a beat and have a better season than he would have here.  He's a class act and deserves a better chance than we gave him.

13 minutes ago, Numbers said:

I still have sources but this one is a little common sense.  Jay Gruden knows Andy Dalton and has worked with him since before the draft and before the holdout ended.  Actually I would be wrong because it was Jon Gruden working him out during the holdout brought on by the Collective Bargaining Agreement issue (I think that was the issue).  Jay needs a QB for his system and will most likely go back to a familiar face.

I'd go as far to say that Dalton will not miss a beat and have a better season than he would have here.  He's a class act and deserves a better chance than we gave him.

Good comment...

Yes hed fit into their system from jump..

Jax is looking to go for Trevor Laewrence in 2021...no mistake about that..

If Dalton can keep them looking competitive to bring in the fans yet go 2-14 they'd have played it right..

2yrs 26mil..8mil guaranteed.. 500k roster bonus  each yr..

Salary 8.5mil a year..

Hell he went 2-12 last yr ..might as well 

do it in Jax now...

26 minutes ago, Numbers said:

He's a class act and deserves a better chance than we gave him.

Comments like this are just ridiculous

They gave him 9 years

They gave him AJ, Jones, Sanu, Eifert

They gave him Whitworth

The defense he played with was far better than the mid 2000s that Carson played for (starting safeties Ohehateme and Wasteverharn)

Almost every other team in the league would have drafted a QB in the first round prior to this one. 

They gave a him a second chance after 2016...and he failed. 

3 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

They gave him 9 years

They gave him Whitworth

The defense he played with was far better than the mid 2000s that Carson played for (starting safeties Ohehateme and Wasteverharn)

Almost every other team in the league would have drafted a QB in the first round prior to this one. 

Yeah, I gotta agree with this.  After the San Diego playoff disaster the team had to start looking.  Passing on Mahomes for Ross was really the move that made NO sense.  Actually, taking Ross over any decent o lineman was a bigger crime.  

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, I gotta agree with this.  After the San Diego playoff disaster the team had to start looking.  Passing on Mahomes for Ross was really the move that made NO sense.  Actually, taking Ross over any decent o lineman was a bigger crime.  

The thumb injury really hurt.  That was his best year.  And if he failed again, the team could have said, yep, he's done. 

Instead he got hurt, so the team could think: the jury is still out, hey maybe he can pull a Flacco.

Of course, after the Stiller playoff meltdown, any normal owner/GM would have gotten rid of Marvin, PacMan, Burfict. 

That was the time to get rid of the Marvin/Dalton pairing.  Instead they wasted the last 3 years. 

11 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

The thumb injury really hurt.  That was his best year.  And if he failed again, the team could have said, yep, he's done. 

Instead he got hurt, so the team could think: the jury is still out, hey maybe he can pull a Flacco.

Of course, after the Stiller playoff meltdown, any normal owner/GM would have gotten rid of Marvin, PacMan, Burfict. 

In Burfict's defense, he had one of the greatest games ever played by a Bengal's defensive player.  He almost single handily won the game by forcing a fumble we recovered, killing Big Jen and picking off Landry Jones with the lead and only 1:43 left in the game.   In fact Rey Mag,  Burfict  and the defensive line had huge games, perhaps one of the best defensive games the team ever played.    

Fuck Jeremy Hill. 

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

In Burfict's defense, he had one of the greatest games ever played by a Bengal's defensive player.  He almost single handily won the game by forcing a fumble we recovered, killing Big Jen and picking off Landry Jones with the lead and only 1:43 left in the game.   In fact Rey Mag,  Burfict  and the defensive line had huge games, perhaps the best defensive game they ever played.    

Fuck Jeremy Hill. 

It's hard to top Burfirt's season that year.

Leveon Bell?  Check

Big Jen?  Check

Antonio Brown?  Check

If you aren't going to win it all, at least destroy your rival.  Brilliant.

20 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

It's hard to top Burfirt's season that year.

Leveon Bell?  Check

Big Jen?  Check

Antonio Brown?  Check

If you aren't going to win it all, at least destroy your rival.  Brilliant.

Well he did that on the way to losing what could have been an historic pass and catch by McCarren and A.J..

Winning a playoff game in come from behind fashion against our hated rivals...oh Lord..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

I dont think it was competition..

Hell he had a competitive nature to his game...

Bottom line was athleticism ...he was Just Average...

I guess I wasn't clear.  I meant that Andy never really had any competition for his QB job.  I think he would have been mentally tougher if he had.

40 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

They gave him 9 years

They gave him Whitworth

Chad, Owens, Housh, Henry... etc...

Whitworth was with both.  Didn't help much when he was with the Rams...

The defense was about the same when you average it all out.  

He never created a controversy that took away from the team.  

The only thing ridiculous is when people don't give him the credit due over a quitter.  Statistically he's ahead in most categories that matter with a comparable supporting cast.

Archived