<b>"Bengals Rout Winless Colts" -NFL.com</b>

Bengals rout winless Colts 38-0

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (Sept. 2, 2005) -- Peyton Manning warmed up, then headed to midfield for the pregame coin toss, politely shaking the hands of five Cincinnati Bengals along the way.

Coach Tony Dungy made sure the Bengals wouldn't touch him again.

The winless Colts rested their entire starting offense and all but two players on defense. The Bengals took advantage of the mismatch, rolling to a 38-0 victory in the final preseason game.

Carson Palmer led the Bengals (2-2) to touchdowns on their first two drives, going 6-of-7 for 107 yards before calling it a night. Cincinnati scored on its first three possessions, piling up a 256-16 advantage in yards.

How easy was it? The Bengals had 346 yards at halftime, setting up their most lopsided preseason victory since a 45-0 drubbing of Tampa Bay in 1977.

The Colts (0-5) finished their first winless preseason since 1990, but Dungy didn't seem to mind. When Indianapolis introduced its offense before the game, not one starter ran out from the tunnel. Only two defensive starters took the field -- middle linebacker Gary Brackett and cornerback Nick Harper -- for the opening series.

The backups had a tough time against a Bengals offense that was at full strength and eager to flex some muscle. Cincinnati's first team had failed to get into the end zone in two preseason games, prompting coach Marvin Lewis to turn up the intensity.

The stars were aligned -- sitting all in a row on the Colts' bench -- for the Bengals' breakout night in front of a big crowd. Cincinnati sold 59,781 tickets, the most ever for one of its preseason games.

Rudi Johnson's 3-yard touchdown run completed a 75-yard drive that opened the game. The Bengals then went 91 yards, with T.J. Houshmandzadeh catching a 14-yard pass from Palmer for the score. When Jeremi Johnson went into the end zone standing up for a 5-yard score, the fans gave a halfhearted ovation.

"I was pleased with our execution," Lewis said. "Guys went out there and carried out their assignments the way they're supposed to."

The talent mismatch made it tough for the Bengals to gauge themselves. They'll open the season next Sunday in Cleveland hoping they've worked out the kinks, but not knowing for sure.

By contrast, Dungy knows what he's got and wasn't about to jeopardize it at the conclusion of a brutal preseason. The Colts opened in Tokyo against Atlanta, absorbed some injuries and returned jet-lagged from the trip.

They finally looked in sync last week against Denver, where Manning bruised his left shoulder in the third quarter. Manning looked fine in practice and would have played had the game mattered.

It was only the second time in his career that he missed a game. Manning also sat out a preseason game against the Bengals in 2001 because of a sprained knee.

The loss concluded a chaotic week for Indianapolis, which opens the season in Baltimore. Linebacker Kendyll Pope got a season-long suspension Aug. 31 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, and defensive tackle Corey Simon signed on Thursday.

Simon, who missed the entire preseason in a contract dispute with Philadelphia, didn't accompany the team to Cincinnati.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:18 AM']Nice read. Now if we can turn this kind of game in every Sunday, we'll be in line for playoff tickets come Jan 1.
[right][post="141169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

im not waiting in any line.. i will just call my ticket man or fill out the form i get in the mail.... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angel.gif[/img]

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:29 AM']the only starters they seem to be playing is their damn kickers. Nothin to get excited about.
[right][post="141180"][/post][/right][/quote]

And the homer killer brings me back to earth... :D

Im always excited about a Bengals victory though....

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:29 AM']the only starters they seem to be playing is their damn kickers. Nothin to get excited about.
[right][post="141180"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
really? so our offense and defense doing exactly what its suppose to be doing means nothing? we destroyed them in every way... and we should have, if it was 14-6 i would be worried, but i think killing them means something indeed, it means a light at the end of the dipshit tunnel of people thinking the world is ending because of some preseason games...

i mean if losing a game and looking bad against mostly 2nd stringers means total team distruction, how does killing someone completely, not mean something positive for the team?

this is also the first game madieu williams played, pollack has had time to see game speed, amd make practice adjustments, we have a safety in ohalate who say the playbook 2 days ago who played god damned well for barely getting his name stitched on his jersey, there are lots of positives about this game, it takes a foolish person to overlook team chemistry, growing together, working together, and playing the game together in thinking these games mean nothing.

what a dousche.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:36 AM']really? so our offense and defense doing exactly what its suppose to be doing means nothing? we destroyed them in every way... and we should have, if it was 14-6 i would be worried, but i think killing them means something indeed, it means a light at the end of the dipshit tunnel of people thinking the world is ending because of some preseason games...

i mean if losing a game and looking bad against mostly 2nd stringers means total team distruction, how does killing someone completely, not mean something positive for the team?

this is also the first game madieu williams played, pollack has had time to see game speed, amd make practice adjustments, we have a safety in ohalate who say the playbook 2 days ago who played god damned well for barely getting his name stitched on his jersey, there are lots of positives about this game, it takes a foolish person to overlook team chemistry, growing together, working together, and playing the game together in thinking these games mean nothing.

what a dousche.
[right][post="141191"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

Well said.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:36 AM']really? so our offense and defense doing exactly what its suppose to be doing means nothing? we destroyed them in every way... and we should have, if it was 14-6 i would be worried, but i think killing them means something indeed, it means a light at the end of the dipshit tunnel of people thinking the world is ending because of some preseason games...

what a dousche.
[right][post="141191"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

it was a preseason game. Nothing to get excited about. sorry, but I dont have my homer goggles on right now. you can say all that "growing together, working together" bullshit for the games that we lost too. Why not say them about the games in which we actually played against good players? you're still practicing together, playing together, working together, and growing together, just against the type of talent that you're actually gonna play, not scout team pussies. cause they killed us, possibly? Yea. thats why. until I see them play well on 9-11, i dont give a fuck how they do now. its PRESEASON. it dont mean shit.

what a dousche.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:40 AM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img]
Well said.
[right][post="141193"][/post][/right][/quote]

^^^

8===========D :o

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:48 AM'][img]http://www.fakerock.com/images/FRP%20MOTOR%20ROCK.jpg[/img] > Badass's opinion.
[right][post="141203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Eh, sorry. I'm not in a very good mood now. Mah HS football team kinda got murdered today. OJ style.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:44 AM']it was a preseason game. Nothing to get excited about. sorry, but I dont have my homer goggles on right now. you can say all that "growing together, working together" bullshit for the games that we lost too. Why not say them about the games in which we actually played against good players? you're still practicing together, playing together, working together, and growing together, just against the type of talent that you're actually gonna play, not scout team pussies. cause they killed us, possibly? Yea. thats why. until I see them play well on 9-11, i dont give a fuck how they do now. its PRESEASON. it dont mean shit.

what a dousche.
[right][post="141199"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

how did pollack do in those games? did thurman not get better over the last 3 games? how did herring do tonight? how many tackles did madieu have in the first three games? a agme where you force feed almost 80 players into a game to see who keeps a job and one when nearly 25% are gone and your picking your starters, your sub-in releaf players, and who will no longer be with the team mean more and more each week, frankly the first game is pretty tough to gauge how anyone will play, especially if 25% of your starting defense is not playing, ... not to mention a 1st overall pick who has been nagged with inuries for over a year, getting into game action, getting into game shape, and playing with his teammates, blocking real players and not tackling dummies, this game doesnt prove we are going to tear it up this year anymore than the bad games prove we are going to fail, what DOES mean something about this game is that everyone did what they were supposed to and the team kicked the 2nd team colts asses, no pro team should be beat like this, especially a team almost guaranteed deep playoofwins by most of you... how are they going to win anytihng with a garbage 2nd team like this? better hope they dont get 15+ players ont he season ending injured reserve...you know, like we did last year...

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:52 AM']how did pollack do in those games? did thurman not get better over the last 3 games? how did herring do tonight? how many tackles did madieu have in the first three games? a agme where you force feed almost 80 players into a game to see who keeps a job and one when nearly 25% are gone and your picking your starters, your sub-in releaf players, and who will no longer be with the team mean more and more each week, frankly the first game is pretty tough to gauge how anyone will play, especially if 25% of your starting defense is not playing, ... not to mention a 1st overall pick who has been nagged with inuries for over a year, getting into game action, getting into game shape, and playing with his teammates, blocking real players and not tackling dummies, this game doesnt prove we are going to tear it up this year anymore than the bad games prove we are going to fail, what DOES mean something about this game is that everyone did what they were supposed to and the team kicked the 2nd team colts asses, no pro team should be beat like this, especially a team almost guaranteed deep playoofwins by most of you...  how are they going to win anytihng with a garbage 2nd team like this?  better hope they dont get 15+ players ont he season ending injured reserve...you know, like we did last year...
[right][post="141209"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img]

Guest oldschooler
Bengals have way vs. Colts' backups
Game morale booster for Cincinnati

By Mark Curnutte
Enquirer staff writer

The Bengals' first-team offense needed a little self-esteem boost Friday night in the team's preseason finale, and Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy was happy to oblige.

Indianapolis started just two of its 11 defensive starters - and none of its offensive starters, for the record - and the Bengals' starting offense rolled to two touchdowns in two possessions behind quarterback Carson Palmer.

The Bengals won 38-0, their first preseason shutout since 1992 and the second-most lopsided preseason victory in franchise history.

The Bengals led 28-0 at halftime against the Colts' backups and third-stringers. The game was reminiscent of the Bengals' last game of the 2004-05 regular season at Philadelphia, in which the Eagles rested at least half their starters because they already had clinched home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

The Bengals finish the preseason 2-2. The Colts, favorites to win the AFC, went 0-5.

A franchise-record preseason crowd of 59,781 donated more than $62,000 to the Salvation Army for Hurricane Katrina relief.

Bengals linebacker Larry Stevens intercepted a Jim Sorgi pass early in the third quarter and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown. The Bengals led 35-0 with 11:38 left in the third quarter.

"You've got to go do what you're supposed to do," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "The good thing that we accomplished tonight was taking care of the football."

The Bengals committed no turnovers, and their defense had four takeaways.

With Palmer and two starting linemen, center Rich Braham and left tackle Levi Jones, out of the game, backup quarterback Jon Kitna led an eight-play, 89-yard touchdown drive that gave the Bengals a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter.

"We wanted to come out and be crisp," Palmer said. "It was kind of a tuneup."

Some first-team Bengals offensive highlights:

Rudi Johnson ran seven times for 40 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown run. He also had a 26-yard reception on a screen pass.

Palmer was 6-for-7 passing for 107 yards, including a 14-yard touchdown pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Palmer had a perfect passer rating of 158.3.

Houshmandzadeh had two receptions for 62 yards and one rush for 9 yards.

Running back Chris Perry had 57 rushing yards, including a 24-yard touchdown run that gave the Bengals a 28-0 lead with 6:37 left in the second quarter. He also had 34 yards on two receptions.

Starting right tackle Willie Anderson and starting tight end Reggie Kelly made their preseason debuts and played the first three series.

Kicker Shayne Graham, in his first appearance since the preseason opener three weeks ago, made all five of his extra-point attempts in the first half. He suffered a groin injury early in training camp.

Starting free safety Madieu Williams also made his first preseason appearance after dealing with hamstring and back injuries.

The Bengals' defense allowed one first down in the first three Indianapolis possessions. Of course, Sorgi played quarterback, not Peyton Manning. Manning, in full uniform, led his team off the field at halftime.

At least eight Bengals roster spots were up for grabs Friday.

The Bengals will cut the roster to the mandatory 53 players today.

Craig Krenzel got the first look in the battle for the third quarterback job with Casey Bramlet. He was 2-for-7 passing for 18 yards. Bramlet was 5-for-9 for 42 yards.

Cornerback Brandon Williams made an open-field tackle on a punt return but was beaten for a 41-yard Colts pass completion.

Rookie wide receiver Tab Perry returned on kickoff for 20 yards but couldn't pull in an off-target Kitna pass in the second quarter.

Safety Ifeanyi Ohalete, signed Tuesday, made a good impression in his first Bengals appearance and made a bigger impression on Sorgi. Ohalete sacked Sorgi in the second quarter, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Wilkins to snuff a Colts drive.

Wide receiver Kevin Walter left in the second quarter after stretching high for a Krenzel pass. Walter, who suffered a mild concussion, wobbled as he jogged off the field.

The Bengals had the ball for 19:53 in the first half and gained 346 yards to 113 for the Colts.

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050903/SPT02/509030427/1066"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../509030427/1066[/url]

• 4 months later...
Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='141211' date='Sep 2 2005, 11:57 PM']Ohalate murdered Sorgi. [b]That's a muh-fuckin tackler.[/b] I like that.[/quote]

:lmao:

It's fun looking back at past posts, and compare them to the way we feel now.

Archived