A moment of levity...

Homer_Rice

...in these troubled times.

About a year ago I connected up with one of my best buds from my Navy days. We had been trying to reach out to each other for a long time but we both have very common names, so when this finally happened we were pleased as punch. We email each other from time to time now and we mostly talk about families, some nostalgia, etc... But, and this'll be no surprise to folks who know me, we occasionally talk politics.

Today we had an exchange and naturally recent events came up. Talked about our views about the military potentially being called up. He said to me: "Yeah, the Navy will show up when they call 'sweepers.'"

I thought the squids and jarheads here might get a chuckle out of that. Thank you for your service!

On 6/3/2020 at 10:20 PM, Homer_Rice said:

...in these troubled times.

About a year ago I connected up with one of my best buds from my Navy days. We had been trying to reach out to each other for a long time but we both have very common names, so when this finally happened we were pleased as punch. We email each other from time to time now and we mostly talk about families, some nostalgia, etc... But, and this'll be no surprise to folks who know me, we occasionally talk politics.

Today we had an exchange and naturally recent events came up. Talked about our views about the military potentially being called up. He said to me: "Yeah, the Navy will show up when they call 'sweepers.'"

I thought the squids and jarheads here might get a chuckle out of that. Thank you for your service!

Lol.  Some will miss sweepers but rarely will they miss Mess Call.  Out to sea sweepers, to me, had very little meaning.  In port, sweepers meant end of work day. 

I think if you want them to show up, tell them the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are coming for a USO show and the HTs have set up a hidden camera in their dressing room...  A joke only someone from the mid to late 80s on the USS Saratoga would understand.

Peace and happiness.

Archived