Bengals, Burrow, Coach get somewhat of a pass this year?

Typically I give a coach 3 years anyway, 1 year to see what you got, 1 year to shed guys yu dont want and second draft, and third year you have 3 drafts, two years of your guys in tow, etc.

So i wasnt going to panic if this year was mediocre.  I think the talent on the team is a roughly .500 team.

But now, with rookie camp, offseason workouts, mini camp, all being flushed down the toilet, a rookie starting qb (which already worries me) the fact that we are going to have 11-12 new starters on the team, and losing all of the valuable offseason benefits i think sets us back a bit further than most teams. 

The AJ greens of the world arent going to suffer, but losing time with burrow is a loss, the all rookie linebackers will, the several free agents will, I just am not sure how much, or if theyll be making up the lost time once offseason does kick off.

thoughts?

I was not expecting much this year just due to having a  rookie QB, the missing offseason stuff puts him back further so I dont expect this year to be a good one.

Next year they better be a playoff team though.

I'm expecting the team will win 5 to 7 games this year if the defense improves even marginally. With that said, this is no ordinary off-season. I know us fans are so sick of saying "ok, next year" but I feel like you sort of have to give the team a pass due to the extenuating circumstances. I think the results of year 3 will tell us a lot about what direction the team is trending. If we are seeing continual improvement year over year I suppose we could see a 4th year for Boy Wonder. I feel like Mikey doesn't typically like having lame duck coaches so maybe you see a two year extension or something.

All the teams will be in the same boat as the Bengals with lack of workouts, camps and other stuff so certain things are going to be equal in that regard.  But teams with established QB's and who are just filling in some gaps with players should be OK maybe even better, but rebuilding teams like the Bengals will likely struggle for awhile.  Win and losses will depend on the schedule, what ever that might be.

For the Bengals most of their new guys coming in have been team captains or leaders along the way with good work ethic so that will be a plus.

A pass?  No.  All need to show something. 

The coaching staff has to show they are smart enough to deal with the hand they are dealt.  With no OTAs, new players, etc. the coaches need to simplify.  If they try to jam too much down their throats they will fail spectacularly.  The best teams will keep it simple and execute.  Honestly, execution beats scheme almost every time.  I think bad coaches will be exposed even more this season.

If the coaching staff screws up you could give Burrow a pass, but let's hope that's not the case.  You still want to see Burrow make good decisions and show a spark even if the Ws don't pile up. 

Dalton's rookie training camp was impacted by the strike IIRC and lingering controversy over Tin Man quitting.  If the worst QB in recorded history can overcome that and reach the postseason 5 years straight, why does the greatest QB in recorded history get an out?

Don't be moving the goalposts now.  Anything less than 3 SB appearances in the next 5 years and he's a bust.

no pass .  they are supposed to be professionals are they not?

especially  if andy dalton was the problem and now we have the next goat of the game that everyone claimed was worth not trading down for 2-3 1st round picks? hell no ! 

sure there will be mistakes made by new players, injuries that will be devistating and players/coaches and management that fail too live up to average expediencies but absolutely no free rides or passes offered or given here.  win or lose i fully expect to see a team that shows they belong in the nfl . 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Given a normal off season I would have expected 6-8 wins this season, if the key players stayed relatively healthy.  But what I'll be looking for now is progress.

So basically we are back to mid 90s Bengals.  Just hope to see some progress.  I was hoping to see progress last year but it never happened.  Boy wonder’s offense managed 89 less points than miserable Marvin. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

So basically we are back to mid 90s Bengals.  Just hope to see some progress.  I was hoping to see progress last year but it never happened.  Boy wonder’s offense managed 89 less points than miserable Marvin. 

Man I hear ya, he took over a 6-10 team and took them to 2-14.  I don't want to hear about how "guys are buying in to his system!"   His  system so far has sucked.   They never quit, but they were tanking so 2 wins is ok...  The mental gymnastics are too much for me to follow.   Too much talk & very little to show for it.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

No. I still want to see them win. But we will have a ton of new starters and a rookie QB with essentially no offseason on field work. That needs to be accounted for in your expectations. I expect them to be better than last season, but I care more that the team gets better over the course of the season than I do a raw win number. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

No. I still want to see them win. But we will have a ton of new starters and a rookie QB with essentially no offseason on field work. That needs to be accounted for in your expectations. I expect them to be better than last season, but I care more that the team gets better over the course of the season than I do a raw win number. 

Same, still waiting to see a prepared team that can compete at this level with any consistency.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, claptonrocks said:

9 wins...

Baltimore is a top two team..

Pittsburgh is rusting out..

Mayfield will find the right time for interceptions to keep Cleveland from improving..

Gonna be magical!

Yep, I'm thinkin' 8, 9, 10 wins range with Joltin' Joe Burrow making a splash his rookie year and inspiring his teammates to keep up with him. It's gonna be a fun season.....if there is one.

Don't worry. I highly doubt that there will be a football season this year. Or at least a meaningful one with more than a few completed games.

The media going above and beyond to promote "the 2nd wave" and the need lock down the country.  Since 99% of Americans believe everything they see on network television they will all fall in line again.

1 hour ago, Catfish Bob said:

Don't worry. I highly doubt that there will be a football season this year. Or at least a meaningful one with more than a few completed games.

The media going above and beyond to promote "the 2nd wave" and the need lock down the country.  Since 99% of Americans believe everything they see on network television they will all fall in line again.

They may play to empty or half capacity stadiums (I'm guessing they'll spread out the season ticket holders) but they're gonna play.  Waaaay too much money at stake.  

C.R.E.A.M.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

They may play to empty or half capacity stadiums (I'm guessing they'll spread out the season ticket holders) but they're gonna play.  Waaaay too much money at stake.  

C.R.E.A.M.

They won't play if the Governors of some states don't let them.  New York's Cuomo is already threatening to lock it back down due to everybody blowing off the rules for re-opening.  I would call him a blow hard but I was at Indian Lake and a few local pubs in Dayton this weekend and almost NOBODY was wearing a mask and the social distancing has been thrown out the window. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

They won't play if the Governors of some states don't let them.  New York's Cuomo is already threatening to lock it back down due to everybody blowing off the rules for re-opening.  I would call him a blow hard but I was at Indian Lake and a few local pubs in Dayton this weekend and almost NOBODY was wearing a mask and the social distancing has been thrown out the window. 

That kind of illustrates my point.  There's no fuckin way a bar should be opened in a pandemic but too much money was being lost.

Obviously you can't drink through a mask but I don't understand the resistance to wearing one in other crowded places.  Most of us ain't that pretty anyhow :D

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Same stuff going on here in NC.  The biggest crowds are actually the lines to get in the "restaurants" that are open.  I use the quotations because these spots are mainly bars that serve some food.  Bars are still closed here.

Archived