Who is primarily at fault for the Dying and Chaos

Guest BlackJesus

Who is primarily at fault for the Dying and Chaos in New Orleans ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who is primarily at fault for the Dying and Chaos in New Orleans ?

• PRESIDENT BUSH & HIS ADMINISTRATION
    • THE MAYOR, GOVERNOR, or SENATORS of LOUISIANA

The focus of flood control in NO has been the Mississippi river and not storm surges ...

i hope for your sake that whatever is going to kill you happens in the next couple of years cause if you have to die under a Democratic adminsistration you wouldn't have anyone to blame.

Politicians sell us shit and we get to choose between brands that many times both stink... this is an imperfect world, but it will be a better world once we out extremists of every stripe for exactly what they are ...
over egotisticaly emotional she bitches with more venom than real compassion , driven by a desire to prove that their own fears are justified to the point of overwhelming all logic and reducing progress to a journey that begins and ends with a whine.

Theres room for finding the balance of cost and benefit

I distrust a lot of people that claim to dislike sports.. then use the same attitudes familiar to sports fans in other arenas, its a mistake... common and little noticed by those lacking self awareness

Politics and governing for the betterment of our species in every sense, shouldnt be a sport .... stop rooting for a home team.... and you'll never lose

insist on winning this contest at any cost ... and we all lose

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 3 2005, 11:02 AM'][img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/06/elec04.prez.bush.fundraising.ap/vert.bush.kids.ap.jpg[/img]
[b]Bush:[/b][i] "Better learn how to swim fast, shakazulu...."[/i]
[b]Shanae:[/b] [i]"It's Shanae" [/i]
[b]Bush:[/b] [i]"Whatever" (texas chuckle) [/i]
[right][post="141467"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Guest BlackJesus
[b]it should be no coincidence that the man who was Awol for the Alabama National Guard, was Awol when the guard was in need.[/b]

[img]http://www.awolbush.com/images/ShowedUp.jpg[/img]

[color="red"]I think the Alabama Natl Guard should call him up now [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/color]

Guest BlackJesus

[u]Time running out for survivors
Rescuers: Not enough resources to save all in New Orleans
Sunday, September 4, 2005
CNN
[/u]

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Time is running out for thousands of people awaiting rescue six days after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, rescuers say.

Officials say they do not have the manpower, the resources or enough time to save everyone.

[b]"My guys are coming back and telling me, 'Sir, I went into a house, and there are three elderly people in their beds, and they're gasping, and they're dying,' [/b]" Coast Guard Capt. Bruce Jones said.

"And we got calls today, 'We need you ... to go to a place in St. Bernard Parish. It's a hospice, ... and there are 10 dead and there are 10 dying.' But those people were probably alive yesterday or the day before."

Though pilots, rescue crew members and maintenance workers are red-eyed and exhausted, they're refusing to rest, CNN's Karl Penhaul reported.

For every person plucked from the flood, there are hundreds still waiting, rescuers say.

[b]"There's simply not enough resources[/b] <_< ," Jones said.

"It's an awful feeling to know you've not got everybody in time," rescue swimmer Chris Monville said. "You're trying to get everybody out. But in these temperatures the weak and the sick expire first, and it tears at your heart."

Monville said he has rescued 126 people in a single day.

As of Sunday morning, the Coast Guard reported it rescued more than 17,000 people via helicopter, boat, cutter and ferry -- almost twice the number of lives it has saved in the past 50 years.

The Coast Guard is asking anyone trapped in their homes or in buildings in New Orleans "to hang brightly colored or white sheets, towels or anything else" to help rescuers locate them.

More than 1,300 Coast Guard personnel are involved in the effort around New Orleans, and more are on the way, it said. Meanwhile, Army helicopters dropped boxes of food and water to survivors waiting for rescue.

The Coast Guard says it has delivered thousands of bottles of water to victims in the New Orleans area, is monitoring hundreds of pollution cases, and coordinating the salvage of more than 100 vessels.

Missions are being staged from Belle Chasse, Bucktown and the New Orleans Sains Training Facility, and from five cutters along the Mississippi River.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='knomage' date='Sep 4 2005, 04:37 AM']The focus of flood control in NO has been the Mississippi river  and not storm surges ...

i hope for your sake that whatever is going to kill you happens in the next couple of years  cause if you have to die under a Democratic adminsistration you wouldn't have anyone to blame.

Politicians sell us shit and we get to choose between brands that many times both stink... this is an imperfect world,  but it will be a better world once we out extremists of every stripe  for exactly what they are ... 
over egotisticaly emotional she bitches with more venom than real compassion , driven by a desire to prove that their own fears are justified to the point of overwhelming all logic and reducing progress to a journey that begins and ends with a whine.

Theres room for finding the balance of cost and benefit

I distrust a lot of people that claim to dislike sports..    then use the same attitudes familiar to sports fans in other arenas,    its a mistake...  common and little noticed by those lacking self awareness
Politics and governing for the betterment of our species in every sense,  shouldnt be a sport ....    stop rooting for a home team....      and you'll never lose

insist on winning this contest at any cost ...  and we all lose
[right][post="141963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[i]stop rooting for a home team.... and you'll never lose[/i]

great post all around, but excellent saying...

you should post in this section much more....

Guest steggyD
From the Washington Post
[quote]...Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said...[/quote]

Another thought. I don't have many sources on it, but it seems that many Presidents before Bush, and including Bush have cut the funding on the levees in New Orleans. Also, in order to build the levees up to withstand category 5 hurricanes would take 10 to 15 years.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Guest bengalrick

[url="http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/091904ccktWWLIvanFlaws.132602486.html"]click here[/url]

[i][b]Ivan exposes flaws in N.O.'s disaster plans[/b]

05:09 PM CDT on Sunday, September 19, 2004

By KEVIN McGILL
Associated Press

Those who had the money to flee Hurricane Ivan ran into hours-long traffic jams. Those too poor to leave the city had to find their own shelter - a policy that was eventually reversed, but only a few hours before the deadly storm struck land.

[b]New Orleans dodged the knockout punch many feared from the hurricane, but the storm exposed what some say are significant flaws in the Big Easy's civil disaster plans.[/b]

[b]Much of New Orleans is below sea level, kept dry by a system of pumps and levees. As Ivan charged through the Gulf of Mexico, more than a million people were urged to flee. Forecasters warned that a direct hit on the city could send torrents of Mississippi River backwash over the city's levees, creating a 20-foot-deep cesspool of human and industrial waste.[/b]

Residents with cars took to the highways. Others wondered what to do.

[b]"They say evacuate, but they don't say how I'm supposed to do that," Latonya Hill, 57, said at the time. "If I can't walk it or get there on the bus, I don't go. I don't got a car. My daughter don't either."[/b]

Advocates for the poor were indignant.
[b]
"If the government asks people to evacuate, the government has some responsibility to provide an option for those people who can't evacuate and are at the whim of Mother Nature," said Joe Cook of the New Orleans ACLU.[/b]

It's always been a problem, but the situation is worse now that the Red Cross has stopped providing shelters in New Orleans for hurricanes rated above Category 2. Stronger hurricanes are too dangerous, and Ivan was a much more powerful Category 4.

In this case, city officials first said they would provide no shelter, then agreed that the state-owned Louisiana Superdome would open to those with special medical needs. Only Wednesday afternoon, with Ivan just hours away, did the city open the 20-story-high domed stadium to the public.

Mayor Ray Nagin's spokeswoman, Tanzie Jones, insisted that there was no reluctance at City Hall to open the Superdome, but said the evacuation was the top priority.

"Our main focus is to get the people out of the city," she said.

[b]Callers to talk radio complained about the late decision to open up the dome, but the mayor said he would do nothing different.[/b]

[b]"We did the compassionate thing by opening the shelter," Nagin said. "We wanted to make sure we didn't have a repeat performance of what happened before. We didn't want to see people cooped up in the Superdome for days."[/b] :huh:

[b]When another dangerous hurricane, Georges, appeared headed for the city in 1998, the Superdome was opened as a shelter and an estimated 14,000 people poured in. But there were problems, including theft and vandalism.[/b]

This time far fewer took refuge from the storm - an estimated 1,100 - at the Superdome and there was far greater security: 300 National Guardsmen.

The main safety measure - getting people out of town - raised its own problems.

[b]More than 1 million people tried to leave the city and surrounding suburbs on Tuesday, creating a traffic jam as bad as or worse than the evacuation that followed Georges. In the afternoon, state police took action, reversing inbound lanes on southeastern Louisiana interstates to provide more escape routes. Bottlenecks persisted, however.[/b]

Col. Henry Whitehorn, head of state police, said he believes his agency acted appropriately, but also acknowledged he never expected a seven-hour-long crawl for the 60 miles between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

It was so bad that some broadcasters were telling people to stay home, that they had missed their window of opportunity to leave. They claimed the interstates had turned into parking lots where trapped people could die in a storm surge.
[b]
Gov. Kathleen Blanco and Nagin both acknowledged the need to improve traffic flow and said state police should consider reversing highway lanes earlier. They also promised meetings with governments in neighboring localities and state transportation officials to improve evacuation plans.[/b]

But Blanco and other state officials stressed that, while irritating, the clogged escape routes got people out of the most vulnerable areas.

"We were able to get people out," state Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc said. "It was successful. There was frustration, yes. But we got people out of harm's way."

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
[/i]

very interesting... i will let you decide what to take out of this article....

Thanks SteggyD and Bengalrick,

[quote]Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said...[/quote]

unlike Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, who immediately declared a state of emergency

Interesting to note that Nagin was a former Republican who switched Parties with hopes of winning the 2002 Mayor race in predominatly Democratic New Orleans.

Shortly after taking office, Nagin launched an anti-corruption campaign within city government, which included crackdowns on the city's Taxicab Bureau and Utilities Department. Nagin also made [color="blue"][u]a controversial endorsement [/color][/u]of current Republican U.S. Representative Bobby Jindal in the 2003 Louisiana Gubernatorial Runoff over current Democratic Governor Kathleen Blanco, and [color="blue"][u]only reluctantly [/u][/color]endorsed U.S. Senator John Kerry in the 2004 Presidential race. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]

Initially I blasted the Mayor and I still believe there is enough evidence to show he holds a degree of accountability, however I am seeing some internal strife with the Mayor and the Governor. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]

Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore :headbang:

On Scarborough Country, Sep 1, 2005 - Personnal belief
SIDNEY BARTHELEMY, FORMER MAYOR OF NEW ORLEANS: I really believe that the governor and the mayor of the city were overwhelmed. I don't think they had any idea this hurricane was going to do what it did.

And I don't believe the administration really understood the nature of what was going on in the city, and finally, I am happy to say that they finally realized that this was a national emergency, this was a national disaster, not just a city disaster, and started to take action. We should have known. Everybody should have known when we saw the nature of that hurricane taking up almost the whole Gulf, that it was something that had never happened before, in our lifetime, anyway, and that it was going to be a monumental disaster and begin to...

Tonight on CNN, Sep 4, 2005 - After told to toe the party line.
Blames the Federal Government, but gives the Governor and Mayor a pass.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

Guest steggyD
That does appear to be funny. The mayor and governor were overwhelmed, we excuse them, but the administration should've known... Wow, that's like me complaining that my house is caught on fire, I call noone, but then complain about the fire department not knowing. I was overwhelmed by the fire, sorry.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Sep 6 2005, 11:24 PM']the police, i think theyre over in aisle 3

[url="http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm"]http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm[/url]
[right][post="143560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

that is flat out sad.....

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]the police, i think theyre over in aisle 3

[url="http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm"]http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm[/url][/quote]

[i][b]Both women should be fired, arrested, and never allowed to work for the govt again.

I could see if a Cop was there to get supplies and stock up, but these cunts were obviously going on a shopping spree[/b][/i]

Archived