Coronavirus waiver to attend games.

Highly doubtful it will come to this, as at the least, the NFL cannot make a blanket waiver which would apply to every state where they have franchises. Even if they tried, the best they could do is to make it so the NFL itself could not be sued, however the team/city/state/county/vendors/everyone/everything else, could. 

The Ohio General Assembly is also working on Covid-specific immunity legislation as we speak for business and public entities. Should it pass, it will render waivers as moot anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Harvard canceled all in person classes for the fall semester.

I really dont see the season happening unless they test as much as MLB is, and especially dont think there will be fans in the stadiums

Why would the season be cancelled?

Why would the NFL walk away from their TV contracts?

Why would the players walk away from paychecks they desperately need?

Notice that Harvard didn't reduce their tuition in light of cancelling in-person classes. It's easy to cancel in-person classes when you can keep your tuition constant and you have billions in endowment. Less education -> Same cost for education. Nice business model.

Just now, Madieu Superstar said:

Notice that Harvard didn't reduce their tuition in light of cancelling in-person classes. It's easy to cancel in-person classes when you can keep your tuition constant and you have billions in endowment. Less education -> Same cost for education. Nice business model.

I can't imagine the PR nightmare that would happen if there was a outbreak.

It may happen but they will have testing all the time, and there will not be any fans in the stadiums because how do you prevent an outbreak on that?

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I can't imagine the PR nightmare that would happen if there was a outbreak.

It may happen but they will have testing all the time, and there will not be any fans in the stadiums because how do you prevent an outbreak on that?

An outbreak of what? At the same time we see positive cases skyrocketing, we're seeing the number of deaths per day remain flat (and in some cases plummet). How many baseball players who are testing positive are asymptomatic? How many would ever require hospitalization? It's one thing to test positive, it's another to actually feel any effects from the illness. 

22 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

An outbreak of what? At the same time we see positive cases skyrocketing, we're seeing the number of deaths per day remain flat (and in some cases plummet). How many baseball players who are testing positive are asymptomatic? How many would ever require hospitalization? It's one thing to test positive, it's another to actually feel any effects from the illness. 

Couldn't agree more.  Football is happening.  It continues to all be a media induced panic to redirect from the fact that the weekly death rates are now under the CDC's epidemic threshold 7.2% of weekly deaths.  It's been under that rate for weeks now and currently sits at 3.4% in the 44 states that did not force nursing homes to accept COVID-19 positive patients (IL, MA, MI, NJ, NY, PA).  Even those states as of this past week are under the epidemic threshold (5%).  Any more these days it's hard to sift through the BS to get to that kind of data.  The epidemic has turned the corner to a flu-like season that will run it's course through herd immunity.  Play ball.

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

The English Premier League, for example, has gone forward towards completing their season--specifically to honor TV contracts (a massive amount of money). Several players did refuse to participate, and the teams involved did make salary modifications. I suspect the NFL will put pressure on franchises to make similar contract adjustments for those refusing to play. 

Harvard is also mandating that 40% of their students still be on campus--while only doing online classes? Very odd, but it would allow them to field a football team per NCAA regs, if they are so inclined. 

Highly doubtful--based on the way the NFL is slow-walking concrete decision making--that there will be fans allowed inside and it will be TV only. This is best-case scenario in all likelihood--as individual state and local government mandates may not allow games to take place at all in their jurisdictions.   

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I agree and I do not know anyone who has gotten it and hope it stays that way.

I have two friends who have gotten it, one is a flight attendant for Delta who got it when she was repatriating people to Isreal and taking some Americans back home. Her's was the last flight out of the country allowed at that time before everything went into lockdown. She is "recovered" that is to say she still has good and bad days, and may have perminate lung damage, that hasn't come back yet to know.

The other many here may remember when he was on this site is Onyx. He's still in quarantine and on medical leave from work, he's starting to come out of the tunnel, but is not remotely healthy yet and unknown what if any long term effects he will have had.

Having heard first hand from both of them how bad it is and how both said it's they symptoms are so bad they thought they might die. I think alot of folks as Homer said making this political, is depressing to me. The virus doesn't care if you are a D, R, or an I.

22 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say anyone who calls it a media induced panic, doesn't know anyone who has gotten it.

False assumption.  But then again, statistically speaking, there's probably not many on this board who do.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Anyway discussing the rise in cases but decrease in deaths. This is known as Simpson's Paradox.

Thread here explaining it...

That guy's an idiot if he really believes we're about to have dozens of cities experiencing what NYC went through in March/April.  It's not paradoxical that deaths are falling while case counts rise. The newly infected are much younger than the people previously infected, on average. They have much lower rates of hospitalization and death. 

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That guy's an idiot if he really believes we're about to have dozens of cities experiencing what NYC went through in March/April.  It's not paradoxical that deaths are falling while case counts rise. The newly infected are much younger than the people previously infected, on average. They have much lower rates of hospitalization and death. 

Did you read the whole thread? If not you may have missed this...

Or this....

Yes NATIONALLY the death rate is down, but in the areas that we have seen a rise in case numbers the rise in deaths have come right along with it.

My friend's daughter, 19,  lives in an  apartment with 3 other girls at near their college.   They went to a bar 3 weeks ago that was pretty crowded.   I guess some guys who had attended a big party were there and had it.   Needless to say, all of them got it.   Only one girl showed any symptoms which was loss of taste and smell for a few days.    Cases are going up dramatically among the youth but few if any of them show much in the way of symptoms. 

I have my doubts about NCAA football happening to be honest but the NFL will probably play. 

23 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Did you read the whole thread? If not you may have missed this...

Or this....

Yes NATIONALLY the death rate is down, but in the areas that we have seen a rise in case numbers the rise in deaths have come right along with it.

I did read the whole thread which is why I'm confident the guy is an idiot.  The large majority of the increase in cases is due to increased testing (which other things equal will find more positive results). The increase in hospitalizations is driven by hospitals trying to maximize their occupancy numbers. They also test everyone admitted and if that person tests positive for covid, it's considered a covid hospitalization, even if they are there for something else. We're not close to having hospitals overrun. The army will set up field hospitals again before that happens. See this piece from some hospital CEOs in Houston as to why things aren't nearly as bad as the media is portraying.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/texas-government-counting-every-covid-positive-hospital-case

Big 10 just announced cancellation of all out of conference football games.

People are delusional if they think they will have crowds at games in the fall.  It's just ignorant thinking at this point.

NFL should hope to have games.  If that. 

Archived