The time has come to talk about what to do with A.J. Green. He's a marvelous talent when healthy and young but is soon-to-be 32 and coming off an injury year where he did not play 1 snap. The word is he's looking for a long-term deal with Cincy but management is not eager to do a contract for the length and money he's likely looking for, and I tend to agree with management. We now have Tee Higgins who looks to be an A.J. clone so his loss could be overcome if Higgins lives up to his rep.

Let A.J. play this year under the Franchise Tag....he'll be motivated to perform, and if Higgins bombs there's still the possibility of re-signing Green. And it will be fun for 1 year to have them both on the field with Joe Burrow slingin' deep missiles to 'em.

There is NO reason to sign him long term right now - need to know he is 100% healthy and the cap situation for the league has some open questions which makes signing any long term deals questionable until that is resolved. If the cap flat lines for several years that will put downward pressure on salaries. 

I am 100 % against loyalty to a player just because he's been a good employee. Let him play out this year and see what happens. If he gets hurt again, which odds are in that corner, let him walk. If you have to get into a bidding war next year because he managed to stay healthy, let him walk. Higgins is the future for this team at that spot now. Move on. Loyalty to old players at the end of their careers gets you exactly nada. 

A.J. Green: “If you’re not committed to me long-term, I understand. There are no hard feelings. You have a business to run. All great businesses face difficult decisions. I understand that. For me, I have to make a big decision as well.”

5 hours ago, Passepartout said:

He needs to realize there is no I in team at all!

The guy has done a lot for the Bengals.  He doesn't owe them anything.  If he can get big money, he owes it to his family.  On the other hand the Bengals don't owe Green anything either.  They have paid him well. 

Tag him and let him move on after the season.  If he would rather sit out, fine.  It's business.

Out of the last 72 games AJ has played 43. In the last 32, he's played 9. He's had one 1,000 yard season in the past four years and hasn't caught 80+ passes since 2015. I have a ton of respect for him as a professional and as a player but there is very little ammunition in his contract gun right now. 

With it looking more and more likely that 2020 will not have a season id try and find some suckers to trade him to right now. 

By far one my top 5 all time favorite bengals but its over. With no season id just part ways now while maybe still some value. 

17 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

With it looking more and more likely that 2020 will not have a season id try and find some suckers to trade him to right now. 

By far one my top 5 all time favorite bengals but its over. With no season id just part ways now while maybe still some value. 

Agree on all counts. :good:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/will-bengals-remove-franchise-tender-from-a-j-green/

Will Bengals remove franchise tender from A.J. Green?

With no long-term deal between the Bengals and receiver A.J. Green, the 10th-year veteran remains eligible to earn $17.865 million under the one-year franchise tender in 2020. Because he has yet to sign the tender, he can withhold services from training camp and the preseason (if there is one), showing up just before the start of the regular season and earning the full amount of his franchise-player pay.

But there’s an important wrinkle, one that rarely has been an issue since the launch of the franchise tag 27 years ago. Unless and until Green accepts the tender, the Bengals can rescind it.

Rescinding the tender would save $17.865 million in cash and cap space for the Bengals. Given the anticipated lost revenue resulting from football games without fans, Bengals owner Mike Brown surely has at least pondered the possibility of making a move that would result in Green not playing for the Bengals in 2020 — especially since a training-camp injury resulted in him not playing for the Bengals in 2019.

The cash savings would apply this year, and the cap space could be carried over into 2021. If the cap drops dramatically due to the lost revenue in 2020, that extra space could make it much easier for the team to operate next season.

A franchise tender has been rescinded only three times. Philadelphia did it to linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in 2002, the Eagles did it three years later to defensive tackle Corey Simon, and the Panthers did it in 2016 to cornerback Josh Norman. It’s a rare move, but this is a rare season. Money will be lost. The Bengals can save a large chunk of that lost money simply be bidding farewell to Green, seven months or so before they likely otherwise will.

They also could try to trade Green. But which team is in a position to absorb that much of a cash and cap obligation for a guy who turns 32 in 16 days and who didn’t play at all last year due to injury, especially when he can’t be signed to a long-term deal until after the 2020 season ends?

That’s the best argument in favor of Green signing the tender ASAP. If the tender were to be rescinded, would another team pay him $17.865 million this year? And if he were to get $17.865 million for 2020, how many more years would he have to commit to on the back end?

Rescinding the tender definitely would be an unprecedented move. But in an unprecedented year, it’s impossible to rule anything out. Given the amount of uncertainty currently percolating through the football world and the country at large, the $17.865 million becomes a bird in the hand that Green may want to take to the bank, while he can.

4 hours ago, Griever said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/will-bengals-remove-franchise-tender-from-a-j-green/

Will Bengals remove franchise tender from A.J. Green?

With no long-term deal between the Bengals and receiver A.J. Green, the 10th-year veteran remains eligible to earn $17.865 million under the one-year franchise tender in 2020. Because he has yet to sign the tender, he can withhold services from training camp and the preseason (if there is one), showing up just before the start of the regular season and earning the full amount of his franchise-player pay.

But there’s an important wrinkle, one that rarely has been an issue since the launch of the franchise tag 27 years ago. Unless and until Green accepts the tender, the Bengals can rescind it.

Rescinding the tender would save $17.865 million in cash and cap space for the Bengals. Given the anticipated lost revenue resulting from football games without fans, Bengals owner Mike Brown surely has at least pondered the possibility of making a move that would result in Green not playing for the Bengals in 2020 — especially since a training-camp injury resulted in him not playing for the Bengals in 2019.

The cash savings would apply this year, and the cap space could be carried over into 2021. If the cap drops dramatically due to the lost revenue in 2020, that extra space could make it much easier for the team to operate next season.

A franchise tender has been rescinded only three times. Philadelphia did it to linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in 2002, the Eagles did it three years later to defensive tackle Corey Simon, and the Panthers did it in 2016 to cornerback Josh Norman. It’s a rare move, but this is a rare season. Money will be lost. The Bengals can save a large chunk of that lost money simply be bidding farewell to Green, seven months or so before they likely otherwise will.

They also could try to trade Green. But which team is in a position to absorb that much of a cash and cap obligation for a guy who turns 32 in 16 days and who didn’t play at all last year due to injury, especially when he can’t be signed to a long-term deal until after the 2020 season ends?

That’s the best argument in favor of Green signing the tender ASAP. If the tender were to be rescinded, would another team pay him $17.865 million this year? And if he were to get $17.865 million for 2020, how many more years would he have to commit to on the back end?

Rescinding the tender definitely would be an unprecedented move. But in an unprecedented year, it’s impossible to rule anything out. Given the amount of uncertainty currently percolating through the football world and the country at large, the $17.865 million becomes a bird in the hand that Green may want to take to the bank, while he can.

tumblr_nk1fwiE8yS1tkahdeo1_250.gif

The NFL is slow-walking real commitments to having any preseason games—and they really can’t, given the present landscape. Then there is the season itself—just as as big a question mark. 

Let’s just say there is no season. You will have next season, a 33-year old WR—but with no additional wear, and likely in better shape than he might be even now. Want to dice the Tag on him again? 

(I will confess I do not know how the present Tag applies if a player can’t play, should there be no games to play in)

Some other team would be happy to blame his lack of production on the Bengals ineptitude (rightfully to some extent tbf) and overpay for him.   He also tends to lose focus in crunch time.  Dude was great for a few years but I would have no problem leaving him in 2015 nostalgia if they can get something for him.

I like AJ just like everyone else.  But with the tag he will be the ~4th or 5th highest paid receiver in 2020.  Looking at the top 20 highest paid receivers Green will be 2nd oldest next to Larry Fitzgerald.

I really think it is time for the Bengals to move on now.  If the 2121 salary cap is going to be lower like many expect the saved $18 million could be used for some FA bargains that will be there.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I like AJ just like everyone else.  But with the tag he will be the ~4th or 5th highest paid receiver in 2020.  Looking at the top 20 highest paid receivers Green will be 2nd oldest next to Larry Fitzgerald.

I really think it is time for the Bengals to move on now.  If the 2121 salary cap is going to be lower like many expect the saved $18 million could be used for some FA bargains that will be there.

Depends upon how close to the floor the Bengals are.  I would rather pay AJ for a year to see if he can get his game back than sign a bunch of second tier free agents.  If they have to spend the $$....

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Depends upon how close to the floor the Bengals are.  I would rather pay AJ for a year to see if he can get his game back than sign a bunch of second tier free agents.  If they have to spend the $$....

No one knows for sure, but if the Bengals tag AJ this year and the season craps out completely or even after a few games what happens next year?  Do you tag him again?

And if the 2121 cap drops I wouldn't expect only 2nd tier players to be available, there will be teams that will have to let some good players go to get under the cap.

Of course it has not been established what the cap rules are going to be moving forward but I would think it would make good business sense to free up cash and be prepared. 

8 hours ago, westside bengal said:

No one knows for sure, but if the Bengals tag AJ this year and the season craps out completely or even after a few games what happens next year?  Do you tag him again?

And if the 2121 cap drops I wouldn't expect only 2nd tier players to be available, there will be teams that will have to let some good players go to get under the cap.

Of course it has not been established what the cap rules are going to be moving forward but I would think it would make good business sense to free up cash and be prepared. 

Reasonable thinking.  Not sure about the rules for tags if they don't play.  I wouldn't pay the guy tag money if he hasn't played for three years.

Regardless of how many years that revenue drop in 2020 is allocated to, it is a drop so the cap number for x years gets affected and it will likely change a lot of teams thinking about the cap- the “it goes up every year” thinking may very well wane and that will put downward pressure on salaries. 

Archived