Pre Season Cancelled

The next time the Bengals play will be Week 1 in September.

By John Sheeran@John__Sheeran  Jul 20, 2020, 8:40pm EDT

The NFLPA wanted it, and the NFL finally made it happen.

Late Monday evening, the NFL agreed to the NFLPA’s request to nix the entire preseason schedule.

At the beginning of July, the NFL cut the preseason down from the original four-week slate to two, including cancelling the Hall of Fame game that traditionally kicks off the preseason. 

The players union stood their ground in their demands for zero preseason games, resulting in the NFL eventually agreeing to one preseason week. The union didn’t waver, and thus, here we are.

With training camps not officially beginning until next week, this gives the players a longer acclimation period from entering team facilities and playing actual games. 

The difference between two exhibition games and none would decrease the potential spread of the coronavirus before the start of the regular season. It also would keep players from risking their health while playing in, largely, meaningless games.

The preseason isn’t totally meaningless, especially to undrafted free agents and veterans fighting for a roster spot, but this move will greatly help the regular season to start. 

That is something that everyone wants, and the NFL ultimately had little choice but to give into the players’ demands.

Those players that had roster spots locked up did not want preseason games for sure which means the league stars, etc.  But there was some scuttlebutt about those marginal players, players returning from injury, undrafted rookies or anyone fighting for a place on the roster were still wanting at least 1 preseason game to make their case.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

Those players that had roster spots locked up did not want preseason games for sure which means the league stars, etc.  But there was some scuttlebutt about those marginal players, players returning from injury, undrafted rookies or anyone fighting for a place on the roster were still wanting at least 1 preseason game to make their case.

This.  The NFLPA is there to protect NFL players, not people who want to play in the NFL. 

Colleges do just fine evaluating players in practice and scrimmages. I see no reason why the NFL would be any different. Let's be real here,the reason for preseason games is to gouge season ticket holders for two more games.

45 minutes ago, Sox said:

Colleges do just fine evaluating players in practice and scrimmages. I see no reason why the NFL would be any different. Let's be real here,the reason for preseason games is to gouge season ticket holders for two more games.

It is true that many believe that preseason games are just for the money,

However,  NCAA Div 1 football rosters can give 85 scholarships and dress up to 125 in season.  If they screw up and make a bad evaluation on a player they probably have another 10 or more from the same position to pick another.

I was sitting at the bar at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants over the weekend having my first ice cold beer in many months. 

On the main tv behind the bar was the Home Shopping Network. I was just thinking to myself man 2020 is lame as f. 

5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I was sitting at the bar at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants over the weekend having my first ice cold beer in many months. 

On the main tv behind the bar was the Home Shopping Network. I was just thinking to myself man 2020 is lame as f. 

I totally agree, dude. This year is lame as f. I mean, crap, I spent almost 50 years of suppressing my freedom, paying taxes and shit, so I could finally retire--and all this stuff happens. Well, I ain't taking that lying down. People know me and know I'm politically-wise and an activist and shit. But for some reason I can't get people excited about my latest issue: "Homer Rice's Life Matters!" They, like, laugh at me and stuff. I don't know why all the bulletheads and libtards treat me this way. Lame as f. And, sad, too. To top it all off, the GoFundMe I set up to raise money to buy a refrigerator so I could have a nice, cold beer from time to time hasn't raised a dime.

2020 def sucks, man.

14 hours ago, Sox said:

Yeah but most major programs start off with a cupcake out of conference game(s)  that is basically a pre season game.  OSU played Florida Atlantic first game last year. 

On 7/21/2020 at 2:46 PM, sparky151 said:

With no preseason, Burrow will have to learn in games that count. We should probably temper our expectations for 2020 and expect another high draft slot in 2021.

Dalton didnt have a preseason as a rook..

He led them to 9 wins and a playoff game no?

I've only seen mention of preseason being cancelled once on the article I copy and pasted from (Bengals Wire? Cinci Jungle?)

Wonder if its fake news and I'm passing along a rumor.

Would like it to be true because I wasn't planning on going, anyway, and would like the extortion tickets (buy preseason tix or no regular game tix)  refunded.

Anyone else seen it anywhere?

On 7/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, SF2 said:

Yeah but most major programs start off with a cupcake out of conference game(s)  that is basically a pre season game.  OSU played Florida Atlantic first game last year. 

Not always,but no matter.

Do the starters play one or two series then sit while the 2nd and 3rd stringers go out because THE SCORE DOESN'T MATTER?  Nope. Barring something out of the ordinary,those decisions have already been made,in practice and scrimmages.

I really don't think preseason really helps. You only see vanilla defenses. This year coaches can experiment with throwing their rookies some exotic looks on D,something they won't see in a preseason game.

This is of course,just mho. You could well be correct.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, Sox said:

meeehhh.... the teams make jack shit off ticket sales in the scheme of things, even if, IF the team was sold out to season ticket holders, thats about 5 million in ticket revenue and the concessions are shit, merch is shit, cause no one comes, while 5 mil is a pile of cash to us all, its less than a single percent of the revenue brought in by the teams on average. 

the value for teams to not just evaluate talent, which hard knocks has shown some of that goes on, but honestly it seems teams know aside from 3-5 guys whos making it..but the team chemistry and trial and error of plays, formations, i notice QBs try to make certain throws and see if itll work, lots of starters look like dick in preseason, they are testing their limits, or plays, or throws, etc. not to mention the injury trial run, guys coming from small school or older guys, its tough to find out week 1 their body cant take it when you could ahve found out preseason week 1.

tons of value for the teams, if the teams were banking on the preseason they wouldnt have been pushing for more regular season games, but the revenue difference is INSANE. 

also the TV revenue for a preseason game is shit, local networks, bengals get CBS or FOX or NBA cincinnati money, not CBS money. they dont even bother paying real announcers, you get the local scrubs. 

22 hours ago, GoBengals said:

meeehhh.... the teams make jack shit off ticket sales in the scheme of things, even if, IF the team was sold out to season ticket holders, thats about 5 million in ticket revenue and the concessions are shit, merch is shit, cause no one comes, while 5 mil is a pile of cash to us all, its less than a single percent of the revenue brought in by the teams on average. 

the value for teams to not just evaluate talent, which hard knocks has shown some of that goes on, but honestly it seems teams know aside from 3-5 guys whos making it..but the team chemistry and trial and error of plays, formations, i notice QBs try to make certain throws and see if itll work, lots of starters look like dick in preseason, they are testing their limits, or plays, or throws, etc. not to mention the injury trial run, guys coming from small school or older guys, its tough to find out week 1 their body cant take it when you could ahve found out preseason week 1.

tons of value for the teams, if the teams were banking on the preseason they wouldnt have been pushing for more regular season games, but the revenue difference is INSANE. 

also the TV revenue for a preseason game is shit, local networks, bengals get CBS or FOX or NBA cincinnati money, not CBS money. they dont even bother paying real announcers, you get the local scrubs. 

NFL teams average about 7 mil PER GAME in ticket sales alone or almost 15% of their revenue.  That does NOT include concessions, parking and luxury boxes which they keep 100% of.  15% is not jack shit and is only part of the in stadium revenue equation.  

The majority of teams sell over 85% of their tickets to season ticket holders  so those pre season games do generate income.  Just because Bengals pre season games are empty doesn’t mean the Cowboys, Patriots, Stealers or Packers are.  

The Bengals made $99 mil in STADIUM revenue (not tickets since that is shared revenue) last year which was 30th in the league. The Cowboys made $621 mil or over 60% of their revenue. 

The better franchises has very good attendance at their pre season games because they have a great party atmosphere and their stadiums are fun.   The Bengals‘ stadium is just a step above Riverfront.  I do think there should only be 2 pre season games.  

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'd much rather Burrow get his pre-snap penalties and learning to manage the huddle out of the way in preseason than in games that count. If he looks like an idiot in game 1, I'll be unhappy about the lack of preseason. 

From a blurb I read (and put in the Covid thread) if the NFL and the NFLPA cannot reach agreement as to 2020-2021 cap reductions by the end of the weekend, the training camps will not open in-person, and will continue to be virtual. 

On 7/23/2020 at 1:11 AM, claptonrocks said:

Dalton didnt have a preseason as a rook..

He led them to 9 wins and a playoff game no?

Whenever Dalton plays, the quarterback position becomes Schrödinger's QB.  We don't know how important the QB position is until we know the results of the game. 

If we lose, Dalton isn't good enough to play the sport's most important position.  If we win, the position is not quite as important as if we lose. 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, UncleEarl said:

Peyton Manning went 3-13 his rookie year.  Let's see what the kid can do.  Some patience is in order.

It took Manning 6 years to win his first playoff game. 

Archived