RIP Rickey Dixon

On 8/2/2020 at 12:02 AM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Sad news but he was a bust as a high draft pick

Of course I had/have zero insight into the problem with him but I thought there may have been some degree of not knowing where or how to play him.

I don't think he was really a pro cornerback but in today's game could have been a useful safety or positional player in some specialized role.

I believe he was a pretty big guy but too slow for an NFL corner, maybe some sort of hybrid coverage linebacker for tight ends or running backs

out in the pattern.

Too bad.  Wasted talent.

And saddened to hear of his early passing.

He was a rookie during the Super Bowl year - I think in videos of John Taylor's TD, you can see him flash across the screen.  Not 100% sure of that, but no way in hell am I looking up that video again. 

But not sure why he didn't pan out.  Fulcher, Wilcots, Bussey I remember got most of the safety playing time afterwards.  Was he supposed to be a corner?  Even after Eric Thomas tore his knee and Lewis Billups started stalking Rex Chapman's sister, I don't remember Dixon being considered to play corner.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, tibor75 said:

He was a rookie during the Super Bowl year - I think in videos of John Taylor's TD, you can see him flash across the screen.  Not 100% sure of that, but no way in hell am I looking up that video again. 

He was on the field, but not really in on the play itself:

3yaa-rcC71jImI3svPU326oPXTWa5gI03XF4Y5DP

On 8/4/2020 at 2:28 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

What a Top 5 bust draft overall for the league that year though.  Has to be one of the worst ever. 

Drafted right after him?  Sterling Sharpe and Tim Brown.

Fine, the Bengals didn't need a WR.  Next defensive back right after Ricky Dixon?  Terry McDaniel. 

Yep, grade A bust.

Archived