Domata Come Home!

The Bengals should consider signing Domata Peko

The Bengals need depth on the defensive line, and former Bengal Domata Peko is looking for a job.

By Nick Manchester@NickManchester9  Jul 31, 2020, 2:09pm EDT

Pittsburgh Steelers v Cincinnati BengalsPhoto by John Grieshop/Getty Images

The Bengals have taken a lot of damage at defensive tackle this week.

Two promising rotational pieces, Ryan Glasgow and Josh Tupou, are out of the 2020 picture. 

On Wednesday, the Bengals waived Glasgow after a failed physical. Then on Friday, Tupou opted out for 2020.

While neither would have been starters behind Geno Atkins and D.J. Reader, they would have been able to provide relief so the starters could rest. They also could have been added to the formation if the Bengals were ever in a five-man front.

With the depth at defensive tackle dwindling, the Bengals should look to the free agent pool for help.

Domata Peko is currently a free agent, and in “great shape” according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Peko was a fourth round draft pick in 2006, and went on to play for the Bengals for 11 years. He considered Cincinnati to be his home, as his oldest son was one year old when he was drafted, and his two youngest were born in Northern Kentucky.

Peko would in all likelihood love the chance to comeback to Cincinnati, especially with the way the organization has changed in the three short seasons since his departure.

After the Bengals let Peko walk in 2017, he played for the Broncos for two seasons. He played better in Denver than he did towards the end of his time in Cincinnati.

Peko returned to the AFC North when the Ravens signed him mid-season last year, and he’s been waiting to sign with a new team since he became a free agent this offseason. 

The Bengals could bring him back as a rotational piece and a leader in the locker room. His bar of expectations would be much lower now than it would have been three years ago, given he will have a different role. And while he is not stranger to the organization, it would be his first time playing with Zac Taylor and Lou Anarumo.

Things would be different for Peko, but perhaps the change would help. He would be a great addition to the Cincinnati defensive line and provide some depth for the highly touted duo of Atkins and Reader.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I was one who called for his release, now I would like to see him back as a back up and in occasionally to give Geno and Reader a break.

I think it would be great for him to be here for a season or two and retire a Bengal... like Whit should have. 

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Not gonna find young up and coming guys in this late in the off season. I'd rather have experience, with Tupou opting out this makes a lot of sense.

I'm thinking of players cut by other teams. There will be plenty of guys looking for regular roster money. DT is a position that doesn't require tons of playbook study.

Archived