IS RACE AN ISSUE IN KATRINA RESPONSE?

Guest ONYX

If the people suffering the most due to Katrina were mostly white and not mostly black, would the response and relief efforts have been better?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. If the people suffering the most due to Katrina were mostly white and not mostly black, would the response and relief efforts have been better?

• Yes
    • No
    • Either way, the response and rescue efforts would still be lousy

Did I miss something?...I guess we are just leaving poor "black" people
on roof tops to die? The helicopters are just flying over them and
looking past?

this was a natural disaster that NOONE could have planned
for...NO SINGLE CITY OR GOVERNMENT COULD HAVE DEVISED
A RESCUE PLAN TO HANDLE THE MAGNITUDE OF THIS DISASTER...
black, white, old, young, rich or poor....I believe everyone
is doing the best they can with what they got....I don't see this as a racial issue
at all, I see it as a horrible disaster that just happened to hit
an area that houses lower income families...it doesn't matter if it was a
rich neighborhood, rescues and relief efforts would have been
the same because NOONE WAS PREPARED FOR THIS, PERIOD.

this is a horrible tragedy, lots of lives lost...I don't think people believed
it was going to be as bad as predicted and most thought they could
weather the storm...it's a tragedy that NOONE was prepared for...

Everyone is doing what they can for everyone involved no matter
what color skin they have...those pictures bring to life the devestation those
people are living thru and in every picture
it looked to me like all colors and ages were being rescued by all colors and ages..

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 3 2005, 11:01 PM']On everything I love fuck you SteggyD, Storm, CTBengals, and any of you silly red neck sons of bitches.  Really and honestly fuck you, if you feeble minded fucks think that the people who are suffering the through the worst diaster in American history deserved this to happen to them then I sincerely wish I could kick your fucking ass.  These people who you so coldly through away and blame are harding working Americans who left to die because of the color of the skin, everyone who has been there has said that,l black and white.  You dumb fucks sit at home and watch what the media shows you and you have the nerve and gaul to judge and blame those who are suffering!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIKE I SAID BEFORE FUCK ALL YOU RACIST SONS OF BITCHES!!!!!!!!!~!!!!
OH YEAH I VOTED NO!
[right][post="141824"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hey Smoov. Really and honestly, how is what you just said any different than if someone had said to you, Fuck you you ghetto nigger? You racist son of a bitch.

All hell would have broke loose on that, yet you can sling around redneck racist sons of bitches with impunity.

Seems like a double standard, doesn't it?

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Really and honestly, how is what you just said any different than if someone had said to you, Fuck you you ghetto nigger? You racist son of a bitch.

All hell would have broke loose on that, yet you can sling around redneck racist sons of bitches with impunity.

Seems like a double standard, doesn't it?[/quote]

[i][b]has a white man ever in the history of the United States been pulled from his jail cell outside by a group of blacks yelling "redneck" and lynched? [/b][/i]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 5 2005, 04:57 AM'][i][b]has a white man ever in the history of the United States been pulled from his jail cell outside by a group of blacks yelling "redneck" and lynched? [/b][/i]
[right][post="142594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So blacks now have a license to throw around any kind of slurs they want without being called on it?

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]So blacks now have a license to throw around any kind of slurs they want without being called on it?[/quote]

[i][b]1. you didn't answer the Question, I take it you are conceeding it hasn't happened

2. you are making an assumption I didn't make, you were implying that using "redneck" terminology would be the racial equivalent of the "N" word. (I don't say or type that word out of personal preference). I am simply pointing out that historically the "N" word is rooted with decades of death, harassment, terror, slavery, and death. It is used in this context when Whites spoke it to blacks. Thus it is not the same when a black person uses it, because they historically did not use it with that motive. Also Honkey or cracker are in now way equivalent weighted euphemisms. [/b][/i]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:19 AM']1. you didn't answer the Question, I take it you are conceeding it hasn't happened
[right][post="142601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Of course it hasn't happened. Have white people been raped and murdered by blacks just because they're white IN THE LAST MONTH AND EVERY MONTH SINCE WE'VE ALL BEEN ALIVE?
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:19 AM']2.  you are making an assumption I didn't make, you were implying that using "redneck" terminology would be the racial equivalent of the "N" word.  (I don't say or type that word out of personal preference).  I am simply pointing out that historically the "N" word is rooted with decades of death, harassment, terror, slavery, and death.  It is used in this context when Whites spoke it to blacks.  Thus it is not the same when a black person uses it, because they historically did not use it with that motive.  Also Honkey or cracker are in now way equivalent weighted euphemisms. 
[right][post="142601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He didn't just say redneck. He said:

[b]On everything I love fuck you SteggyD, Storm, CTBengals, and any of you silly red neck sons of bitches.

Really and honestly fuck you

you feeble minded fucks

I sincerely wish I could kick your fucking ass.

You dumb fucks

LIKE I SAID BEFORE FUCK ALL YOU RACIST SONS OF BITCHES!!!!!!!!!~!!!![/b]

Now just because SOME white people used to have black slaves, no one is supposed to consider this a racial slur? He can say these things and not have it compared to a white using the "n" word?

When are white people today going to be allowed to not be blamed for slavery? My family tree doesn't have any slave owners. I'm not guilty doing anything to blacks. If equality truly is the goal, stop using these double standards. If perpetual victimhood is the goal, you're doing a good job and it's doing more to hold back minorities than any klansman could ever hope for.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]silly red neck sons of bitches.

feeble minded fucks

dumb fucks

RACIST SONS OF BITCHES[/quote]

[i][b]can you site an instance of a white person being killed by a group of blacks who were shouting any of these terms either. Listen I am not defending outright name calling in that magnitude. For all of the things I get called in posts I do my best not to attack the person (even though sometimes in this I also fail). the point I was making is that the "N" word is not the same as saying any of the above terms. Do not confuse that with me saying it is not wrong. [/b][/i]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:44 AM'][i][b]can you site an instance of a white person being killed by a group of blacks who were shouting any of these terms either.  Listen I am not defending outright name calling in that magnitude.  For all of the things I get called in posts I do my best not to attack the person (even though sometimes in this I also fail).  the point I was making is that the "N" word is not the same as saying any of the above terms.  Do not confuse that with me saying it is not wrong.  [/b][/i]
[right][post="142606"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

My point is, a racial slur is a racial slur. Let's take the "n" word and slavery out of it for argument's sake. Let's assume it's a white person saying what he said to another minority. Replace "redneck" in Smoov's diatribe with spic, or some other "racial slur". You'd be all over whoever said it and calling them a racist.

Guest steggyD
Well, I can't recite an instance, but I bet you a million dollars it has happened BJ. And if you don't think so, then you really are out of touch with reality.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Sep 5 2005, 03:41 AM']Hey Smoov. Really and honestly, how is what you just said any different than if someone had said to you, Fuck you you ghetto nigger? You racist son of a bitch.

Seems like a double standard, doesn't it?
[right][post="142588"][/post][/right][/quote]

Smoov's tirade was uncalled for and actually pretty stupid if he eventually ended up voting NO. In another thread you made claims against me, saying I had a "victim mentality", and that "I excused all acts of criminal and irresponsible behavior". Then I come here and see this. As stupid as Smoov's post was, nowhere did he use a racially derogatory name. Then you come out with this "ghetto nigger" shit. The irony is that, the monkier "redneck" is not a racial slur used against white people, it is a moniker used against white people that are accused of disliking blacks or calling black people "niggers". Calling a white person a "racist" or even a "redneck" is nowhere near the equivalent of calling a black person a "nigger". Many white people are proud of being "rednecks". Jeff Foxworthy has made a fortune using the moniker. Even though I am compelled to call you a "cocksucker" again ( see "Time for some sort of intervention" thread :) ) or retaliate instead I will leave this alone. I will...as you like to say "take the higher moral ground" on this one, and allow your own asinine words be evidence of it. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img]

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Sep 4 2005, 02:34 AM']Why did they live in a city under sea level on a coast that everyone knows could be a target of a hurricane? I would have never lived there. If they're poor, they could be poor somewhere else. Greyhound is cheap.

I'm not saying I don't feel sorry for them. I felt sorry for the people in San Fransisco who lost their homes, and their lives in the last big earthquake too, but a part of me says, why would you live there in the first place?
[right][post="141909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

How could these poor, uneducated people not have the foresight to know that a hurricane could occur and why couldn't they calculate the force needed on a levee to break and react accordingly? They're dumbasses for living in that city!

Seriously, some white people want to avoid race at all costs, even if it is merited. I voted NO.

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:02 PM']Calling a white person a "racist" or even a "redneck" is nowhere near the equivalent of calling a black person a "nigger". Many white people are proud of being "rednecks". Jeff Foxworthy has made a fortune using the moniker. [right][post="142716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Its only not equivalent to you because youre black. I am offended to be called a redneck because to me it denotes ignorance...thereby making it derogatory. A slur is a slur, when you start trying to decide to what degree it is a slur, youre on a slippery slope.

Your Foxworthy analogy is a bad one too. Just because he chooses to use it, doesnt lessen it. Plenty of blacks call each other nigga...and it is used in rap music all the time. In fact doesnt NWA stand for Niggas with Attitude? So because black people use it to describe themselves, does that make it ok for me to use it...since its obviously not offensive then? Nope.

Guest oldschooler
If you don`t want to be called racial slurs...
then you damn sure shouldn`t USE racial slurs.

And isn`t it ironic that you call people racist
then YOU come off as one ?...

[quote name='Beaker' date='Sep 5 2005, 01:35 PM']Its only not equivalent to you because youre black. I am offended to be called a redneck because to me it denotes ignorance...thereby making it derogatory. A slur is a slur, when you start trying to decide to what degree it is a slur, youre on a slippery slope.

Your Foxworthy analogy is a bad one too. Just because he chooses to use it, doesnt lessen it. Plenty of blacks call each other nigga...and it is used in rap music all the time. In fact doesnt NWA stand for Niggas with Attitude? So because black people use it to describe themselves, does that make it ok for me to use it...since its obviously not offensive then? Nope.
[right][post="142752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The moniker "redneck" is a slur that denotes "class distinction". It is comparable to the moniker "white trash" which also is an slur that demeans a white persons economical and or educational status. Both monikers are not creations of black hate mongering. These slurs were creating by other white people not blacks or asians or latinos or any other race.

Bottomline is, that no black person on this thread used the moniker or called anybody here a "redneck". That came from BengalBackers' post. BengalSmoov accused people of being "racist". Based on BengalBackers philosophy, if a black person calls you a "racist", you can interpret he is calling you a "redneck" and you should be justified to call them a " ghetto nigger". Smoov did not call anyone hear a "redneck". So where did his statement "ghetto nigger" originate? Which not only insults ones social and economical status but ones race as well.

As for as your constant critiquing of my analogies....I could care less. I think your thoughts blow as well. I am confident that most people of the world would tend to agree or have some sense of understanding where I am coming from. Based on the demographics that comprises this board I realize that those people would be the minority here. That is why most of the outlandish comments posted here is usually contested by only one person.

Guest steggyD
[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 5 2005, 03:15 PM']...Smoov did not call anyone hear a "redneck"...[right][post="142772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[b]???[/b]

Please read his post again.

[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 5 2005, 02:19 PM'][b]???[/b]

Please read his post again.
[right][post="142777"][/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img] hold on let me put on my glasses ..... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]

SMOOV, YOU FUCKIN cuddly wuddly teddy bear!!!!!!!! :angry:

I'm blind alright,.....so sue me. (he didn't have the word connected all spaced out and shit)

Ok.... so Smoov is a dumbass.

I have no problems conceding that. The "redneck" and "ghetto nigger" statements still were uncalled for. As I originally said.

Doesn't change the validity of my point.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Sep 3 2005, 06:23 PM']Thanks for your input Kanye, after all you are a rapper :rolleyes:

[url="http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79/wide"]http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79/wide[/url]
[right][post="141712"][/post][/right][/quote]

HOLY SHITTTT!!!!
I can't stop laughing!

I'll give him credit though...that took some balls.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Sep 3 2005, 06:23 PM']Thanks for your input Kanye, after all you are a rapper :rolleyes:

[url="http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79/wide"]http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79/wide[/url]
[right][post="141712"][/post][/right][/quote]
THAT WAS HILARIOUS! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='NateDawg' date='Sep 5 2005, 04:50 PM']how about people stops usin the word nigger...great! U JUST MADE ME SAY IT
[right][post="142839"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

how about i cut off your head and take a stink stink down ur throat?

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 5 2005, 07:15 PM'][b]The moniker "redneck" is a slur [/b]that denotes "class distinction". It is comparable to the moniker "white trash" which also is an slur that demeans a white persons economical and or educational status. Both monikers are not creations of black hate mongering. These slurs were creating by other white people not blacks or asians or latinos or any other race.[/quote]

At least we agree its a slur. Youre just contending that certain slurs are ok depending upon who created them, right?

[quote]As for as your constant critiquing of my analogies....I could care less. I think your thoughts blow as well. I am confident that most people of the world would tend to agree or have some sense of understanding where I am coming from. Based on the demographics that comprises this board I realize that those people would be the minority here. That is why most of the outlandish comments posted here is usually contested by only one person.
[right][post="142772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Forgive me for entering into a debate. Isnt that what this forum is for? If you dont want someone to disagree with you, or point out where they feel your side of the debate may be flawed, then dont post. In none of my posts have I attacked you personally, I have simply pointed out where I disagree with points you have made and countered with points of my own.

I also am an equal opportunity debater. I will take your side when I feel your point is correct. You dont have to agree with me...on anything. But you would be smart to consider both sides of the argument when debating an issue...not just worry that you think you are right. I have learned many things from other posters I dont necessarily agree with.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Sep 5 2005, 04:55 PM']how about i cut off your head and take a stink stink down ur throat?
[right][post="142841"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
oh god im so scared [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/37.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 4 2005, 04:01 AM']On everything I love fuck you SteggyD, Storm, CTBengals, and any of you silly red neck sons of bitches.  Really and honestly fuck you, if you feeble minded fucks think that the people who are suffering the through the worst diaster in American history deserved this to happen to them then I sincerely wish I could kick your fucking ass.  These people who you so coldly through away and blame are harding working Americans who left to die because of the color of the skin, everyone who has been there has said that,l black and white.  You dumb fucks sit at home and watch what the media shows you and you have the nerve and gaul to judge and blame those who are suffering!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIKE I SAID BEFORE FUCK ALL YOU RACIST SONS OF BITCHES!!!!!!!!!~!!!!
OH YEAH I VOTED NO!
[right][post="141824"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Storm? My hatred doesn't discriminate I hate all stupid people regardless of race or religion

When I first watched the aftermath I didn't see black or white I just seen poor judgement on all the folks who didn't evacuate

Bengal Smoov, you may be the biggest bigot I've ever came across

Archived