IS RACE AN ISSUE IN KATRINA RESPONSE?

Guest ONYX

If the people suffering the most due to Katrina were mostly white and not mostly black, would the response and relief efforts have been better?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. If the people suffering the most due to Katrina were mostly white and not mostly black, would the response and relief efforts have been better?

• Yes
    • No
    • Either way, the response and rescue efforts would still be lousy

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 5 2005, 09:57 AM'][i][b]has a white man ever in the history of the United States been pulled from his jail cell outside by a group of blacks yelling "redneck" and lynched? [/b][/i]
[right][post="142594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No but I've seen a white dude pulled from his car by a group of black youths who called him a honkie and proceeded to kick and punch him for no apparant reason

but I don't hold that against all black people

[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Sep 7 2005, 04:32 AM'][i]"It is racist to call American citizens refugees," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, visiting the Houston Astrodome on Monday.[/i]
-would someone just assassinate this man already...
[right][post="143567"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

How in the hell can those people in NO afford Jesse Jacksons $25,000 down payment? I thought they are all poor

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Do you fucks even realize what the word refugee means:

[quote]Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE, 're-fyu-"
Function: noun
Etymology: French réfugié, past participle of (se) réfugier to take refuge, from Latin refugium
: one that flees; especially : [b]a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution[/b][/quote]

When the media says that the victims are refugees it makes it seem like they are not American citizens who deserve to be helped. Were the victims in the 9/11 attacks refugees? Why not refer to them as Americans? That is a major problem to me because the many people are treating them like they are forgien citizens, but they are AMERICAN CITIZENS who suffered through the WORST NATURAL DIASTER IN AMERICAN HISTORY. It's sad to read what you steelers suck ass fucks have to say about this any you haven't left your living room when the journalist who have been there tell a different story.

[quote][b]Many, including Chris Matthews of NBC's Hardball, are calling the failures "racial[/b]."

"We talk about 'the big one' out in San Francisco.... Well the big one in America is race -- that's the San Andreas fault of this country. And to see it so vividly displayed between poverty and middle class and white and black, right out there with those people begging for water, a basic human need, and to see that in way that looks like it's racial, really rips the scab off of this country," said Matthews on The Today Show this morning. "This is the thing we don't want to face, and now we're going to have to face it."

This morning, President Bush stated in an address that "the results are not acceptable." He will tour Biloxi Mississippi but will only fly over New Orleans, supposedly over security concerns.

Carl Quintanilla, a reporter in New Orleans, spoke on the Today Show about the overblown reports that the New Orleans area is "a riot zone."

"[b]This is not a death trap, these people are not criminals, they need help and all of their frustrations are centered around tha[/b]t."

Quintanilla also remarked that his news crews went outside the city to where ambulances and buses with relief are staged doing nothing. "I'm not going in there," Quintanilla reports one relief workers as saying, "I've told my wife I'm not going in there."

The racial theme became a headline early on in the disaster, starting from disparities in the captions of pictures on Yahoo showing desperate black and white people trying to get food. The captions on the photos of white people stated they "found bread" whereas the black people where captioned as "looters." Yahoo issued this statement:

"Since the controversy began, the supplier of one of the photos - AFP - has asked all its clients to remove the photo from their databases. Yahoo! News has complied with the AFP request. Yahoo! News regrets that these photos and captions, viewed together, may have suggested a racial bias on our part."

NBC Photojournalist Tony Zumbado, spoke to the Today Show this morning about the desperation he captured as he toured the Superdome with his cameras calling the filth, death, despair and devastation he saw "the saddest situation I've ever seen, stateside." He refuted reports of lawlessness saying that people were helping one another and that "There is no security problem in this area at all."

"Imagine a bathroom in a baseball stadium not operating for 4 days with 25,000 people using it," said Zumbado. "Katie, I could not videotape half of the things I saw... it was the most horrific thing I've seen[/quote]."

You assholes are blaming these people for the situation they are in and posting the word nigger like it's cool. You think because you like the Bengals and they have a black head coach and some black players that means that you are not racist or just plain stupid, but your wrong. If you have anything except for sympathy and compassion in your heart for those victims of Katrina then you need to check yourself or come to New York and let me check you. Ya'll are really the biggest collection of bitches east of the mississippi.

I'm glad I got to see all you racist fucks true colors, my only wish is that I was closer to you so I inflict some pain.

Im pretty sure it wasnt directed at me, however refugee also means one who flees in search of refuge, so while the term is technally correct, I'll agree that another could have been used. Im a bit toubled about the use of the word nigger as well, its a hurtfull word that has no place in anyones language in any form, nigga included, imho. However Im not sure I'd share your need to inflict pain. I like you smoov, even if I disagree with you from time to time, and while I never used the word, Im sorry that it effects you in the way that it is.

Also if you were offended by my Jerry Mcguire thing, I hope you realize that it wasnt meant in any way other than a joking manner, as most of my posts are, hell if you look (I dont remember which thread), Ive made fun of myself for being an "arian".

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:22 AM']Do you fucks even realize what the word refugee means:
When the media says that the victims are refugees it makes it seem like they are not American citizens who deserve to be helped.  Were the victims in the 9/11 attacks refugees?  Why not refer to them as Americans?  That is a major problem to me because the many people are treating them like they are forgien citizens, but they are AMERICAN CITIZENS who suffered through the WORST NATURAL DIASTER IN AMERICAN HISTORY.  It's sad to read what you steelers suck ass fucks have to say about this any you haven't left your living room when the journalist who have been there tell a different story. 

."

You assholes are blaming these people for the situation they are in and posting the word nigger like it's cool.  You think because you like the Bengals and they have a black head coach and some black players that means that you are not racist or just plain stupid, but your wrong.  If you have anything except for sympathy and compassion in your heart for those victims of Katrina then you need to check yourself or come to New York and let me check you.  Ya'll are really the biggest collection of bitches east of the mississippi.
I'm glad I got to see all you racist fucks true colors, my only wish is that I was closer to you so I inflict some pain.
[right][post="143677"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hey I found a different definition...

ref·u·gee (rfy-j) KEY

NOUN:

[b]One who flees in search of refuge,[/b] as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution. (or maybe even a natural disaster ? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] )

The EVACUEES weren`t being called Refugees to be racist.
You do realize that not all of them were black don`t you ?

I don`t blame the people (white and black) for being in the situation.
I blame them for making a bad situation WORSE.
The majority of them sat on their hands and yelled help
or they commited crimes like looting, rape and murder.
They did NOTHING to make the situation BETTER.
And that has nothing to do with color because not all
of them were the same color...

Anyway Chris Matthews is an asshat...

Guest bengalrick
smoov... this has obviously hit you hard... i hope you can calm down soon and have a real conversation...

i agree aobut the refugee comments... i didn't like them the first i heard them... don't take slams at the people of NO as a slam at your race man... i know its easy for me to say it sitting in my chair at work, but i personally dont' address it as a "black" thing... only a bunch of idiots (in alot of cases) that didn't leave when told to, and that includes many, many white people... also the ineffectiveness of all levels of gov't to not get aid there... your taking this race thing way to far man... the rest of the unfortinate people were let down by there gov't who should get all of those out of the city, that can't do so on there own... they were treated wrongly...

just try to calm down man, b/c some on here will be afraid to address you, in fear of being called a racist or getting absolutely flamed... if i didn't know you so well from being on here, i probably would avoid you at all costs right now...

anyway, we are all AMERICANS... remember that man... i am embarrassed of what happened down there, b/c they are one of us... we need be americans and not "african americans" or "white guys" or "mexicans"... we are all the same....

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='oldschooler' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:44 AM']Hey I found a different definition...

ref·u·gee    (rfy-j) KEY 

NOUN:

[b]One who flees in search of refuge,[/b] as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution. (or maybe even a natural disaster ? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] )
The EVACUEES weren`t being called Refugees to be racist.
You do realize that not all of them were black don`t you ?
I don`t blame the people (white and black)  for being in the situation.
I blame them for making a bad situation WORSE.
[b]The majority of them sat on their hands and yelled help
or they commited crimes like looting, rape and murder[/b].
They did NOTHING to make the situation BETTER.
And that has nothing to do with color because not all
of them were the same color...
Anyway Chris Matthews is an asshat...
[right][post="143695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If West Bumble Fuck Tennessee flooded or was hit by a tornado and there was no means of paying for food, wouldn't you "loot" to survive. There has already been racist incidents were a young black man who went find food was called a looter while a white couple were described as finding food to survive, that's just one example of the racism going on in this situation.

At the point were they in New Orleans and the Hurricane has done it' damage they deserve help as soon as possible, they are Americans who are in the worst natural disater in American history, why is that so fucking hard to understand? Should we not help them because they didn't evacuate? Obiviously that is the stance that many decision makers took, because the response too slow and people died because of inaction. While the President and his top officals vacationed Americans died and they continued to vacation, if you can't understand why that angers me then do us all a favor and committ suicide.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:06 AM']If West Bumble Fuck Tennessee flooded or was hit by a tornado and there was no means of paying for food, wouldn't you "loot" to survive.  There has already been racist incidents were a young black man who went find food was called a looter while a white couple were described as finding food to survive, that's just one example of the racism going on in this situation. [right][post="143714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes I would loot for food to provide for my family.
But you know there was a hell of alot more people
looting for anything and everthing BUT food...

[quote]At the point were they in New Orleans and the Hurricane has done it' damage they deserve help as soon as possible, they are Americans who are in the worst natural disater in American history, why is that so fucking hard to understand?  Should we not help them because they didn't evacuate?  Obiviously that is the stance that many decision makers took, because the response too slow and people died because of inaction.  While the President and his top officals vacationed Americans died and they continued to vacation, if you can't understand why that angers me then do us all a favor and committ suicide.[/quote]

No need to be an asshole.
I said right after it happened that it was embarrassing and infuriating
the way things were going down there. I wouldn`t have been
more embarrassed or pissed off if it was ALL WHITES that it was
happening to. And neither should you because it was MOSTLY BLACKS.
You should be pissed because it was AMERICANS that it was happening
to and you should be pissed and embarrassed because of the way most
them them made the situation WORSE...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:06 AM']If West Bumble Fuck Tennessee flooded or was hit by a tornado and there was no means of paying for food, wouldn't you "loot" to survive.  There has already been racist incidents were a young black man who went find food was called a looter while a white couple were described as finding food to survive, that's just one example of the racism going on in this situation.

[right][post="143714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

you did see this, right smoov??

[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Sep 6 2005, 11:24 PM']the police, i think theyre over in aisle 3

[url="http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm"]http://www.leenks.com/link23189.htm[/url]
[right][post="143560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

they weren't getting food here... if they were, they would be more than worthy of getting it...

smoov, check out snopes.com for that report on the looting/ finding incident... basically they were taken in different circumstances so i really doubt its a racial thing...

besides that i completely understand why youre pissed but i really dont think that race plays as much as an issue here as many people are making it out to be, i believe the blame should rest solely on the poor planning by the government and the stubbornness from the people

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:13 PM']smoov, check out snopes.com for that report on the looting/ finding incident... basically they were taken in different circumstances so i really doubt its a racial thing...

[b]besides that i completely understand why youre pissed but i really dont think that race plays as much as an issue here as many people are making it out to be, i believe the blame should rest solely on the poor planning by the government and the stubbornness from the people[/b]
[right][post="143736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i agree w/ this... but i'm pissed too.... this shouldn't be and wasn't about race...

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:22 AM']Do you fucks even realize what the word refugee means:
When the media says that the victims are refugees it makes it seem like they are not American citizens who deserve to be helped.  Were the victims in the 9/11 attacks refugees?  Why not refer to them as Americans?  That is a major problem to me because the many people are treating them like they are forgien citizens, but they are AMERICAN CITIZENS who suffered through the WORST NATURAL DIASTER IN AMERICAN HISTORY.  It's sad to read what you steelers suck ass fucks have to say about this any you haven't left your living room when the journalist who have been there tell a different story. 

."

You assholes are blaming these people for the situation they are in and posting the word nigger like it's cool.  You think because you like the Bengals and they have a black head coach and some black players that means that you are not racist or just plain stupid, but your wrong.  If you have anything except for sympathy and compassion in your heart for those victims of Katrina then you need to check yourself or come to New York and let me check you.  Ya'll are really the biggest collection of bitches east of the mississippi.
[right][post="143677"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The title of this thread was:

IS RACE AN ISSUE IN KATRINA RESPONSE?, What do you think?. Be Honest Please.

Some people think it is. Some people think it isn't. You are the one who went off on everybody and started throwing around slurs. Read back through the thread. Nobody called you any names. The "n" word (is that better?) was only brought up to point out your hypocrisy. Nobody called you that. You're the one who said, "you silly red neck sons of bitches", "you feeble minded fucks", "On everything I love fuck you", "I sincerely wish I could kick your fucking ass", "LIKE I SAID BEFORE FUCK ALL YOU RACIST SONS OF BITCHES".

All this because some people didn't think the response had anything to do with race. Some said that a lot of people want to inject race into things that aren't about race. This brought the wrath of Smoov. For the record, I never commented one way or the other. I did say I couldn't understand why people would live under sea level. I compared it to people living on the fault line in California. I'm quite sure when the big earthquake hits, a whole lot of white people are going to die. I don't understand why they live there. Nothing racist about that. You are the one who went over the edge here. Some people on the board, both black and white, might be racist. No one has said anything that proves that's the case though. Except maybe you. I don't think you are though from previous posts.

Obviously, this touches a nerve in all of us. You don't like racists. We don't like to be labelled racists. It's ok to say Bush doesn't care about black people. It's ok to say that Cincinnati cops are racist. It's ok to say that nobody cares about the victims because they're mostly poor and black. There might be truth in all of that, there might not, but if you question that reasoning, you're called names and threatened with violence.

If the only opinions allowed are the politically correct ones, this is no longer debate and discussion. I will always say what I think. If that means you're going to threaten me with violence, that's more a reflection on you than it is on me.

For those of you who think this is a race issue, remember, the PRIMARY responsibility for evacuating the citizens of New Orleans belonged to the city govt of N.O. Secondary responsibility for evacuation of these people belonged to the state of Louisiana. The Louisiana National Guard is under the authority of the Governor of Louisiana.

There is even a documented and thorough evacuation plan for NO, which, had it been enacted as written would have saved these lives.

Link: [url="http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26"]http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26[/url]

So, the primary responsibility belongs to the local and state government.

Who runs New Orleans and Louisiana? [b]Democrats[/b].

Smoov,.. listen to me.

#1. If you felt this strongly about whether or not race was involved in the relief effort to hurricane Katrina, why did you vote "NO" to my poll.

#2. You must understand the demographics of this message board. Not only are you and I an extreme minority here as far as race, but most of our views, opinions, social and political thoughts as well are also an extreme minority here.
The only person (for the most part) that contests or disagrees with anybody here is Black Jesus. That is probably why this part of the forum is called "Jesus and Dubya". For about every 1 person here that would attempt to understand where you are coming from whether they agree or not with you here thats willing to keep the debate "healthy", there are about 10-20 who will polarize, stereotype, and take your words out of the context you intended. It can quickly transform from debate to dispute to "nasty name calling."
I am also guilty of getting caught up in that just a couple of days ago, and I apologize for that. So Smoov, you are going to read some outlandish imcompassionate posts here, so you either A) don't enter the forum. or B) grow some thick skin. But we or anybody else should'nt call people out their names or use monikers are racial slurs. No matter how wrong or stupid one individual thinks the other one is. So chill out with the name calling. If you are compelled to voice your displeasure to any comments made, I am sure there are other ways to do so besides the use of name calling, and hostility. If you need any ideas I can help you. :D

Guest BengalBacker
Good post, except I have to point out that this:

[b]For about every 1 person here that would attempt to understand where you are coming from whether they agree or not with you here thats willing to keep the debate "healthy", there are about 10-20 who will polarize, stereotype, and take your words out of the context you intended. It can quickly transform from debate to dispute to "nasty name calling."[/b]

works both ways.

Like I've said before, we all have different perspectives. I don't think anyone here is a "bad" person. Even those who have called me names and threatened violence. We just see things differently.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/6.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick
sneaky, as far as democrats/liberals vs. republicans/conservatives, it is closer than you may think... sure, there are a few more conservatives, but thats b/c this is a football board based on a cincinnati team, and cincinnati is prodomentatly conservative... your not in the extreme minority in ideology here man...

Archived