Mixon - Extended

1 hour ago, Jason said:

A little more than I would have liked but I’m glad they got it done. 

Probably an out in year 3 and 4. The guaranteed amount is what is important.  Will have to wait for the particulars.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-mixon-finalizing-extension-bengals

Report: Joe Mixon finalizing four-year extension with Bengals
James Rapien

2 hours ago

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are in the process of finalizing a four-year, $48 million extension with running back Joe Mixon according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. 

The 24-year-old was entering the final year of his contract. The extension will keep him in Cincinnati through the 2024 season. 

The Bengals selected Mixon in the second-round (48th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. He's ran for 2,931 yards over the past three years and topped the 1,100-yard rushing mark in each of the past two seasons. 

"Joe’s an important part of our team, a piece that we’d like to get extended and have around here a long time," Bengals Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin said in July. "Joe’s been a great player for us. We want him around here. We know what he is. He came in and earned it. I think he came in under somewhat some tough circumstances and he’s showed everybody that he was the player and the person we believed he is and would become. He’s a guy that we’re proud of."

The $12 million per year average is similar to what the Titans gave Derrick Henry in July.

The Bengals are giving Mixon a $10 million signing bonus according to Rapoport. He'll make $1.3 million in base salary this season. 

His base salary will rise to $8 million in 2021-22, before jumping to $9.4 million in 2023. 

If Mixon plays at a high level, the Bengals could exercise a $9.6 million club option for the 2024 season. This is essentially a three-year extension with an option on the back end that protects the team. 

The Bengals plan on relying on Mixon even more this season, especially in the passing game.

"He’s an all-around, complete back," offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said during training camp. "He can do just about everything you need him to do. Finding ways to get him some touches in the pass game are some of the things we’ve looked at and studied ways to do it better than we did it last year."

12 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Need to watch the waiver wire if it helps the OL even a little bit.

That'd be cool but I seriously doubt they bring in anyone unless it's an injury replacement.   Again we're overcommitted to some really marginal players, for various reasons.

Anyway I'm hopeful this means Mixon is a big part of the offense going forward.

Just now, T-Dub said:

That'd be cool but I seriously doubt they bring in anyone unless it's an injury replacement.   Again we're overcommitted to some really marginal players, for various reasons.

He better be...300 carries...

7 minutes ago, gupps said:

Great news, this gives Burrow time to get up  to speed. Now what happens to Gio next year?  He's criminally underused as it is, I can't see them paying both in 2021.

I'd agree with that 2-3 years ago but right now I'm not so sure.  We've seen so little of him lately, and when we did it was running with a broke-dick offense so who knows?  I'd expect he's lost a step but could hang around a while longer as that 3rd down back we've almost always limited him to being.  I can't see him starting elsewhere unless it was like a one year placeholder deal.

I could definitely picture him as a coach.  He seems like the type to me, IDK why exactly.  Maybe just because he's been such an ideal locker room dude, always professional but still upbeat and motivated no matter what we've asked him to do (or not do, unfortunately).  He's a very talented player that for some reason we always seemed to be trying to replace.   We could use a lot more dudes with Gio's personality.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm sure they do, also he's as good as receiver as Gio (who is getting up there in age and contract).

I'm just saying if there is a quality lineman that becomes available they should always be looking to upgrade OL.

Protect JB at all costs, that's my position.

4 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Protect JB at all costs, that's my position.

And mine, and should be theirs as well.  A good run game will do that but we're now heavily invested in every other position but the OL.   

To put it another way, why are we looking for that protection on the waiver wire?

unforgivable-and-bring-me-a-dr-pepper.jp

Archived