Mixon - Extended

Gio has made himself quite a net worth for someone that is completely underutilized in his employers offense. Very odd, IMO. 
Honestly, it worries me a little about them blowing a bunch of money on Green simply because he’s been a good soldier. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Gio has made himself quite a net worth for someone that is completely underutilized in his employers offense. Very odd, IMO. 
Honestly, it worries me a little about them blowing a bunch of money on Green simply because he’s been a good soldier. 

Well they're hoping AJ will rebound to his normal gifted receiving talent..

Gio is a good scatback with receiving skills..

Like them on the roster..

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Well they're hoping AJ will rebound to his normal gifted receiving talent..

Gio is a good scatback with receiving skills..

Like them on the roster..

Yeah. I have no problem whatsoever with either of them. Hopefully they kill it and both change my mind.

I’m just not big on loyalty though. Just because he was a good soldier doesn’t mean he needs to take up a ton of your salary cap. I have zero problem with moving on. 

13 hours ago, gupps said:

Great news, this gives Burrow time to get up  to speed. Now what happens to Gio next year?  He's criminally underused as it is, I can't see them paying both in 2021.

I would be surprised to sett Gio extended, he will be 29 at the end of this season. Too close to the magic 30 number.

Gio needs to get back to the running back he was earlier in his career. The type that breaks peoples ankles, like the one Dolphin game. He isn't they type to consistently run over people, he is the one you get the ball to in space and let him do his thing.  This can be a very dynamic one-two punch out of the back field. The fact that both of them are good receivers should really open the offense, IF they put them in together once and awhile. 

Great deal in my view. They had to bite the bullet and pay him now, as the RB prices are only going to skyrocket in the coming years (like most other positions). The Bengals are actually one of the better teams at handling the cap and knowing when the time is right to make a guy a very highly paid player (and front loading), and by the time the deal is near the end he is underpaid for his skills. Mixon is the age of some rookies entering the league at only 24 and if he was in the latest draft would have been the #1 RB taken in the mid first round. Now him and Burrow can grow together and feed off each other's success. 

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Great deal in my view. They had to bite the bullet and pay him now, as the RB prices are only going to skyrocket in the coming years (like most other positions). The Bengals are actually one of the better teams at handling the cap and knowing when the time is right to make a guy a very highly paid player (and front loading), and by the time the deal is near the end he is underpaid for his skills. Mixon is the age of some rookies entering the league at only 24 and if he was in the latest draft would have been the #1 RB taken in the mid first round. Now him and Burrow can grow together and feed off each other's success. 

Agreed. Much as I hate to admit it, the FO has gotten better with the cap.

Quick question about the cap.  I've been seeing little snippets of hte salary cap actually going DOWN next year. What happens to all of those big salaries then?  If that happens will the backups/fringe players take a massive cut or will it be more like an "Everyone wins a 10% adjustment" type deal. 

The cap is likely to go down because it is calculated as a % of revenue. With no preseason and no fans or reduced seating in may cities, revenue will be down. Also parking, gameday merchandise sales, and concession revenue will drop too.

The league and union agreed to spread the decrease over multiple years so next year will have a cap of at least 175 mil, compared to this year's 199. Without covid, the cap was projected to go to 213 so lots of teams were aiming at that. If the actual is 38 mil less, there will be a lot of contract restructuring for players with leverage and cuts for players without. Next year should see a lot of good free agents and maybe fewer tags. 

A

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Some teams, like New Orleans are going to really get hammered by this drop. i believe they were already projected at $250M for 2021 which was already going to cause them to do all kinds of maneuvers at a $213M cap. 

This may force some teams into rebuilds, perhaps many teams.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Gotta think both sides will come up with something.  Trevor Lawrence will probably be the #1 and make a few mil less than Joe B. 

Archived