Week 1 Bengals vs Chargers

20 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

But that's the whole point, the Bengals are going nowhere this year...it's all about developing Joe Burrow, and he had a good first game. Getting screwed out of the win by the refs isn't really all that critical.

This.  On the flip side, this is the type of game the Bengals in the past would have gotten beat badly. With all the miscues, rookie mistakes, and turnovers the team should have at a minimum gone to OT. The refs cost us the win by calling that penalty on AJ that they hadn’t called all day on the Chargers. Either way Burrow is the future and he proved it today.  Also really think the defense will be at least average this year. The additions all played well and Geno was on the sideline. 

Burrow is the real deal but the pick was a rookie blunder. Hart was exactly as terrible as we all knew he is. Sunday he gets abused by Joey Bosa, Thursday he gets to face Miles Garrett. 

Taylor had a terrible game as HC. He didn't run out the clock at the end of the first half, calling a pass that was incomplete and saving time for the Chargers field goal drive. He didn't trust his QB at the end with 7 seconds left. The run that Mixon fumbled on was entirely a predictable call. He used all 3 second half timeouts with calls from the sidelines. And he started Bobby Hart and kept him in the whole game instead of playing Johnson. 

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

The only positive from this game is that Burrow final drive.  The Chargers are garbage - unlikely to make the playoffs.  Which is why I said this was a must-win game if this team was going to have any hope for contending.  Instead we saw typical Bengal buffonery:

Got zero turnovers

Fumbled the ball on their own 20

Throw god-awful INT in the red zone

Give up 2 minute drill points (typical Bungle D)

Miss a chip shot FG

Can't blame this loss on the refs.  A halfway decent team at home would have beaten the Chargers by 2 TDs.  Tyrod Taylor?  The guy might be as crappy as Dullton. 

If the RapistBurger doesn't get injured this year, this team goes 0-4 against them and the Rats and none of those games are close.

👌

No team serious about competing for anything would run this QB out there behind this OL.   

I'd like to think Ol' Musty is overruling his kids because otherwise there is no end in sight for the pudding-soft, ho hum, NFL hind tit suckling philosophy of this franchise.

I saw very little to make me excited to tune in to the always S-tier TNF this week.   The defense looked OK-ish at times, I guess.  On a different team Burrow would have HoF potential, the tools and attitude seem to be there. 

Not any team could go 0-2 in less than a week but I think we're just built different.

Burrows threw a great pass to Green to win it..

Green did pushoff regardless..JB gotta be thinking Ross is soft Green lost a step and tightends wont be out on pass routes because their blocking..

Hart was putrid Silo Fio was horrible..

Price pplayed better although not great.

The right side of Oline needsreadjustment ..Adenijji cannot play worse than Hart...Nor Johnson ...

5 hours ago, Duluoz said:

The defense definitely looked solid for most of the game, a big plus. And for his first NFL start Burrow was in command and generally looked pretty good.

I wouldn't call the run defense too solid, we gave up chunks when we knew Tyrod Taylor wasn't a threat.

2 hours ago, Spotto said:

I wouldn't call the run defense too solid, we gave up chunks when we knew Tyrod Taylor wasn't a threat.

More so with Reader out & late in the game.  There's not much depth anywhere on D right now, I think they just got tired.   This one's not on the defense.

11 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:
   11 hours ago,  HavePityPlease said: 

LMAO on the replay of Green's PI on the other side it's OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING DIVE LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

I thought the D back had his arm around A.J.'s waist, too.

11 hours ago,  High School Harry said: 

I thought the D back had his arm around A.J.'s waist, too.

Yes, a standard NFL battle... but AJ won the battle, and the DB started windmilling his arms wildly when Green had already broken a yard off of him... hilarious

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Bengals WR A.J. Green: "For one, he was clamping me the whole time." Said it should be called both ways, but refs made the call they made.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It should have been called on HIM for defensive pass interference.  A.J. was trying to free himself from the hold to get to the ball.  Which he did.

Touchdown.

I can't believe they keep sticking with Bobby Hart.

I also can't believe they keep sticking with Randy Bullock.

I just don't understand why they stick with obviously bad players. Remember Dennis Roland? *shudders*

2 minutes ago, Cat said:

I just don't understand why they stick with obviously bad players. Remember Dennis Roland? *shudders*

Someone sold Mike Brown on extending Boobie Hart.  I don't think they want to go to him now and say, "my bad!"

4 hours ago, Cat said:

Fat Randy has been ok for us. Yeah, the miss was horrible no doubt.  Hart I completely agree with. 

I have to believe the coaches know what they are doing and Hart is actually the best current option at RT.  That should scare everyone.  

36 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

I heard all over the Internet we had the greatest WR corp ever?  I didn’t see anyone getting open that was worth noting.  Plus, Higgins was a wasted pick if you were not going to let him play.  We needed OLman with that pick.  

Not disputing the need for OL.   In regards to the WR corp, JB only had a precious few opportunities to have enough time to actually go thru any progressions and/or throw downfield...and sadly he missed Green on one deep ball and combo issues on JB and Ross on another.  But that of course gets back to your OL point...again agree.  :)

Frankly we should have done better this offseason. We knew the O-line was terrible last year and we'd be picking Burrow. The team already had some skill position talent so protecting the franchise QB instead of letting him get shellshocked should have been the priority in free agency. But we tagged Green and signed Waynes and Reader for about what Cleveland paid probowl RT Jack Conklin. They also hired Bill Callahan as their O-line coach when we probably could have hired him and fired Turner. Why wouldn't he want to work with his son? We compounded that by going cheap with our free agent RG who it turns out is a decent backup lineman but not a good starter. Shocker. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

I heard all over the Internet we had the greatest WR corp ever?  I didn’t see anyone getting open that was worth noting.  Plus, Higgins was a wasted pick if you were not going to let him play.  We needed OLman with that pick.  

Not sure who said that - when we had Chad, TJ and Henry that was a force to be reckoned with.  Higgins is a rookie, game 1 give the guy a break. Ross is worthless and AJ looked a bit slow to me, looks like a possession receiver now. Again though, week 1. 

Archived