Burrow thread

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2020/09/08/cincinnati-bengals-weve-never-seen-anything-like-joe-burrow-opinion/5745169002/

Doc's Morning Line: We've never seen anything like Joe Burrow in Cincinnati before.
Paul Daugherty
Cincinnati Enquirer

And so it begins. Here we are, right on time and right where we need to be, in the Church of Hope, kneeling before the altar of Saint Joe.  

He’s a winner/leader/producer right away. He’s got Boomer’s swagger and Kenny’s touch. He’s Andy Dalton aw-shucks about it. Immediately he will command the huddle and the legions in the locker room dying to be led. He will make all the right reads and elude every pass rusher off his left side.

“Joe is picking it up like it’s nothing,’’ said A.J. Green.

Yes, he is!

He will do it all with the flash of Tom Cruise and the cool of Tom Brady. In between, he will kiss babies, rescue cats from trees and admit he was, in fact, the fifth Beatle.

Joe’s every utterance is seen as further proof of his predetermined greatness.

“If you waste a day, there’s somebody out there that didn’t waste a day,’’ Joe Burrow said recently. (He’s Forrest Gump!)

“I’m going to attack every day like it’s Sunday. Like it’s the Super Bowl.’’

Yes! Yes! Yes!

The masses are hit by the strucks – awe and dumb. He’d be called the Second Coming, if there had been a First. But there wasn’t. Joe’s the first! The Saint marches in. Rings are sure to follow.

The public has seen nothing like this. Only the arrival of Ken Griffey Jr. in 2000 comes close, but as good as Junior was, he wasn’t a quarterback. And the Reds historical futility was no match for the Bengals.

In no special order, Joe will be expected to (1) win games (2) win championships (3) save local sports fans from a deepening inferiority complex and (4) keep the Bengals in Cincinnati. That last point is no small item. The Lease is up in ’26, the jury is most definitely out. A Super win might tilt the scales.

All of which is a long way of saying:     

Elvis never left the building. He has just been hiding out by the riverfront, waiting for the Third Day, er, Game 1.

WHAT WILL JOE BURROW’S CAREER SAY ABOUT THE BENGALS?

Long term, it will say whether the organization has the smarts to build a team around him. The last time The Org did that was 1988, with Boomer Esiason. Those were prehistoric times. If you remember Plan B free agency, give yourself a gold star.

The Org has flailed ever since. It got close a few years, with Marvin Lewis. An underrated aspect of Lewis’ resume was his connections around the league and his ability to persuade decent veterans to give lowly Cincinnati a shot. The current staff doesn’t have that advantage.

Will Burrow be closer to Tom Brady or Dan Marino?

Brett Favre or Fran Tarkenton? (Sorry for the OG reference, but it works.)

Baltimore’s front office got rings for Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco. Pittsburgh has maximized the talents of Ben. How much confidence do you have the Bengals will do likewise with Burrow?

In this year like no other, how might the coaching staff game-plan to protect Burrow? Rollouts, short drops, play action, running Joe Mixon until he’s dead? It’s a better O-line, but not by much, and nobody did a good job protecting Dalton and Finley last year, when they were sacked 48 times. That was with a full camp and preseason games, and with Dalton, a guy who knew what he was doing.

The Ravens and Stillers won’t care that Saint Joe is Elvis. If he wants to walk on water, he’ll have to get past T.J. Watt first.

How good is this coaching staff, really?

Hope is a vital commodity. Also, perishable. It endures, but requires nurturing. The distance between hope and cynicism is no further than a three-game losing streak, especially around here.

The games will tell us all we need to know about Joe Burrow, the Bengals, their front office and their long-term presence in town.

Cropped the rest of the story - 

I’m excited to see what Burrow can bring to the Bengals, but the hype is pretty crazy. Knowing the crowd around this team they’ll turn on him quickly if he has a few tough games. I would be good with 6-7 wins this year.  More than that would be spectacular. 

Am I alone in thinking that Joey B isn’t going to play like a typical rookie QB? Personally I think he looks like a 5 year pro right from the get go. That’s just the way that cat’s programmed. Smartest guy in the room. I think he gets everyone playing their best football and has a big year. That’s just who he is. 

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Am I alone in thinking that Joey B isn’t going to play like a typical rookie QB? Personally I think he looks like a 5 year pro right from the get go. That’s just the way that cat’s programmed. Smartest guy in the room. I think he gets everyone playing their best football and has a big year. That’s just who he is. 

Maybe, but very wishful thinking as well.  I hope you are right,  but HoF QBs like Peyton Manning and Brett Favre struggles early in their careers.  The supporting cast isn’t much to get excited about either.  The D-line is aging, the LBs aren’t much and the O-line is suspect.  I just think it’s smart to temper our enthusiasm until we see what they have to work with. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I think he's going to have "rookie moments", but I think overall he will not play like a rookie.

I’m with ya but I think the “rookie moments” come few and far between.  This is NOT your typical deer in the headlights rookie.

What would be the opposite of a deer in the headlights..a wizard? Joey is going to be a wizard from week one. I have zero doubt. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I also think he is going to have it this year... If he isn't ROY I will be surprised.

The kid RB in KC is also going to be great and have a chance to win that.. I cannot wait until Sunday.... 

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

I also think he is going to have it this year... If he isn't ROY I will be surprised.

The kid RB in KC is also going to be great and have a chance to win that.. I cannot wait until Sunday.... 

Indys Jonathan Taylor will be running in back oh a very good Oline...

Hes the feature back so hes in the mix..

https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-heads-into-nfl-debut-leading-with-boyhood-values

Joe Burrow Heads Into NFL Debut Leading With Boyhood Values 
Sep 08, 2020 at 11:08 PM
Hobson_Geoff

The hype surrounding Joe Burrow's first NFL pass been has been thick enough to skate on as the Bengals rush to Sunday's opener (4:05 p.m.-Cincinnati's Local 12) against the Chargers at Paul Brown Stadium.

But Burrow actually racked up his first pro completion days before in that player space where face coverings and unmasked thoughts are required. Hype need not apply.

That's when teammates Giovani Bernard, C.J. Uzomah and Carlos Dunlap approached him during the team's intense, introspective conversations about social justice in a signal that showed just how important the prized rookie quarterback has become in the locker room and how comfortable he is in the role.

Center Trey Hopkins had written the mission statement to be read to the world in front of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, but the trio of veterans wanted Burrow to read the second and last paragraph after Hopkins read the first.

"Him telling us that story and him being as vocal and as active as he is," Uzomah said, "it definitely speaks volumes to all of us."

It's far from the first time Burrow has let his feelings on social issues be known. He delivered one of the most riveting Heisman Trophy acceptance speeches in history last December with an inspirational call to the youth of his economically ravaged home of Athens County.   

But it was the first time as an NFL franchise quarterback. A rookie, no less.

And the fact Burrow felt like he could tell "The Story," an ugly, wrenching tale from high school days, also speaks volumes about the crew of young veterans that has filled one of those locker room leadership vacuums that can happen in the last belches and first rumblings of massive transitions.

Uzomah, the sixth-year tight end, calls this Bengals team the closest he's been on since, well, Little League. Right down to the moms bringing the juice boxes. And how it may have helped Burrow help them.

There are the new guys on defense, like Vonn Bell's morning wake-up calls and D.J. Reader's steady voice in the social justice meetings. There are the standbys like Dunlap, Bernard and the suddenly chatty Geno Atkins with Reader and Mike Daniels joining him up front. There are Bengals veterans like Uzomah, Hopkins and A.J. Green comfortable in their new senior adviser positions.

"Trey doesn't say much," Uzomah says. "But when he has something to say, it's powerful."

It's far from 2015, Uzomah's rookie year in a locker room stocked with entrenched thirtysomethings veterans that started 8-0 after four straight playoff seasons. Rookies were seen, not heard and maybe even a little hazed.

"It's the most connected team I've been on in a while. We're even close with the coaches," Uzomah says. "And I feel like it's still a young team with a lot of leadership. Having guys like Vonn Bell and that new culture on defense. This is the most I've ever heard A.J. speak up in terms of talking ball. Gio doesn't love speaking in front of crowds, but he's doing it and that's helped us with how things have been going on and help bringing us closer together.

"Crazily, what happened with this Covid quarantine stuff, we get back hitting the ground running. There's no time to waste with cold shoulders or rookie hazings. Not time for any of that. It was, 'In a few weeks we're playing a game.' As crazy as the Covid has been, I think it helped build the unity of the team."

And maybe that gets back to Burrow.

"The way we've handled ourselves, maybe he's been able to be himself that much more," Uzomah says. "'I can say this and do that because I know my guys have my back and I have theirs.'"

Joe Burrow: "I feel good about where I am at right now"

When the Bengals met in the days leading up to their mission statement, there were a lot of tough stories. Hopkins and Dunlap opened that window slightly to the media when they talked about experiencing racism.

But Burrow also had a story and Adam Luehrman, the Ohio University tight end, Athens High School teammate and Burrow's lifelong friend knows The Story all too well.

"I have never seen him more pissed off in my life," says Luehrman of that game on the road all those years ago. "When he found out (the home team) was saying racial slurs to (a teammate) during the game, Joe was literally screaming on the field. He never says anything, but that's the one occasion he was talking to the other team. It's one of the most horrific things I've been a part of.

"It's situations like that where Joe realized injustices are still happening."

So many years past and Burrow won't say which player they were slurring. He doesn't want to put one of his best friends through the hell again.

But if you want to know why Burrow is so passionate about standing with his African-American teammates, you have to know The Story because there were times, "we would go on road trips and people would say some terrible things to some of my real good friends. It was eye-opening to say the least."

Even before he showed up for work in July he caught the eye of his new locker room with a supportive tweet as social justice protests began to spread nationwide. And this is why he doesn't blink:

"Kids on the other team targeting our black players. Trying to hurt them," Burrow says. "Poke them with pens they carried in their pockets. Crazy stuff like that. One of them was one of my three best friends. It was pretty emotional after one game where it was pretty obvious that he was targeted by the team. That was a tough couple of days for our friend group."

It was the exception rather than the rule. Burrow loves the people of Southeast Ohio and calls it home. But the moment left its mark on the impressionable all-state quarterback and his appearance in front of the Freedom Center last month surprised none of his fans from his high school days. He's never backed down from advocating.

Will Drabold, a media and business consultant who took Burrow's Heisman speech and turned it into more than half a million dollars for the Athens County Food Pantry, does things like keep up with social media. It has caught his eye that in Burrow's home region he can only see "positivity," since he and Hopkins stood in front of the Freedom Center.

"What that tells me is people trust him. They feel he's authentic and they think his voice is legitimate. There's consistency," Drabold says. "He's saying exactly the same stuff. He's feeling the same stuff. He's expressing the same values.

"You guys in Cincinnati are seeing what we've seen for quite a while. You really get what you see. He is who he says he is."

What Burrow is, Burrow says, is a guy that just wants to see people treated equally and fairly. As if in a playbook or on a scoreboard. Where only one thing counts.

"I'm not into the whole politics thing," Burrow says. "I'm passionate about what I believe in. To me, that's racial inequality. Socioeconomic inequality. To me, that's not politics, its human rights. It's giving the same opportunities to people regardless of their skin color or social status.

"Whether it's racial or socioeconomic or just people out there not given the same opportunities, I think being in our position it's our responsibility to help those kinds of people."

Burrow was in second grade when he moved from Fargo, N.D., where his dad was the defensive coordinator for North Dakota State. They landed in Athens, where Jim Burrow would be Ohio University's defensive coordinator for the next 14 years. One of the first things they noticed is they could turn the corner from a trim, sparkling subdivision and end up flush in a knot of homes missing some of their sides.

That's about the time his eyes began to open. And it was about that same time, Adam Luehrman figures, Joe Burrow began to see his dad's players in his home from time to time. All kinds of kids. All kinds of colors.

"I grew up in a poverty-stricken area," Joe Burrow says. "I just saw people that don't have a lot struggle through school. Trailer parks everywhere. Not a lot of wealth in that area. That opened up my eyes to it."

He remembers those Friday nights where a home game might have gone long or the bus pulled in late from a road game and some of the kids would wait for mostly everybody to leave the locker room. Then they'd pull out the tackling dummies and go to sleep. Either they didn't have a car or their parents were working and they had to be back early in the morning for either the varsity films or the junior varsity game.

And then after Saturday morning football followed by meals at Bob Evans, Burrow and some of the guys would make sure they'd bring out some leftovers for hungry people that began to wait for them each week.

"There were always some people struggling there we'd try to help out," Joe Burrow says. "We knew most of them. Not knew knew them, but knew them from that."

Jim Burrow says that's probably where you can start to find the roots of his son's empathy. His teammates. He remembers he and his wife Robin trying to raise him right, to treat everyone the same and with respect. He can't remember any specific talks to a pint-sized Joey Burrow. But Jim Burrow says there's no life lessons like sport.

"Sports is such a great microcosm of the world," Jim Burrow says. "Those teammates from all walks of life, they become close. All working for the same goal. If one sees the other one disrespected, it affects them not only for one incident, but also in the future.

"Playing a lot of different sports, that helped a young kid growing up. There's no status on a team. It doesn't matter who you are, where you're from. You're a teammate. That's always been a big part of Joe loving sports and loving his teammates … he knows there are issues his teammates believe in. And he sees it and understands it and he's willing to speak out and let people know."

Uzomah says even though the mission statement has been read, they're trying to bring it to life. The leadership committee had a meeting Monday and Burrow made sure to tell Dunlap if he had a community event, "Make sure you tell me and I'll help anyway I can."

"I think that's what we're all trying to do for each other," Uzomah says.

Joe Burrow throws his first NFL pass Sunday. But he's already got his first NFL completion.

"I'm just trying to do what's right," he says.

I think Burrow will have a good rookie year and might threaten some of the rookie passing records. But it's still his first game and he hasn't faced an NFL defense yet trying all their tricks. He's going to get baited at times. He was so successful at LSU because he was aggressive. NFL defensive coordinators will be trying lots of disguised coverages to force throws to specific targets.

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I guess nobody on the lines deserved to be a captain?

I hope Burrow doesn't get Bengalized. It would be nice to hear Mike Brown say the goal is to be more than "competitive".

I think the Bengals are getting Burrowized...

They believe in him...

Archived