Defense looked pretty good

Burrow did fine for first game

Bad: 

No time to throw,  interior of the line getting pushed back

Play calling was too vanilla 

AJ Green looked ordinary. 

Ugly

Hart is just terrible

Ross not laying out for easy TD pass and sideline bobble during last 2 minutes. 

Good -  

Left side of the line is set for the next couple years (our LT shut down Ingram which isn't easy)

Price even came in and did well

We have a LB corp!

Daniels and Reader played really well (Just wait til Geno comes back)

Bates returning to form

Bad

Burrow missing two easy throws for TDs

Play calling

Ugly

Refs should have swallowed the whistle 

Bullock 

Hart.... FUCK!!!!!! 

Good: 

• Burrow looked like a real QB, although still looked like a rookie at times, too.
  • Defense played well. 
  • Williams looked good at LT

Bad:

• Right side of OL is a disaster.
  • Terrible fumble by Mixon to start fourth quarter.
  • Horrible shovel pass/interception by Burrow in fourth quarter.

Ugly:

• Boobie Hart
  • Fucking Fat Randy

Good

-  Once the Oline settled down and gave Joe time, he looks the part. He gave himself a D for the performance.  I think a B minus to C+ is my grade. He made some good plays but also missed some passes he should have been more accurate on, and then made a boneheaded INT on that shovel pass that never should have been thrown. I suspect as he gets more games and more experience he will only get better, which is awesome because he had a pretty decent game especially for a rookie starting with zero preseason games.

- Defense was much improved. And what was this tackling not being missed? Bynes is every bit of what Ravens fans said he was when they said they would miss him. I love his intensity.

- RED ZONE DEFENSE

- Jonah Williams. Thought he played well.

- Trey Hopkins ...Williams could be eventually, but Hopkins is our best Olinemen right now!!

- WJ3 had a great game too, I would start contract talks with him as well.

- DJ Reader needs to stay healthy, thank God he just had cramps, the run D was noticeably different when he went out. Hoping Geno is healthy on Thursday so we can see them two together.

Bad

- Our Guards leave alot to be desired.

- Mixon's fumble even if he has only had what did they say 2 in his entire NFL career? That's like the opposite of Jeremy Hill.

- Dumb Shovel pass by Joe on that INT, he should have known better. Also his two deep balls were less than accurate.

- Ross still should have put in better effort on that deep ball, he might have caught it if he dived for it.

Ugly

- Bobby Heart needs to be replaced as soon as possible. He is going to cost us games, and might get Burrow hurt.

- Fat Randy ... hit a 50 yarder but miss the chip shot? I mean I know he had a injury on it but damn.

- Clock and time out management by Taylor, we we're lucky that we had time to get to the endzone on the final drive, but we should have had more time outs.

- I know it's their first game together but Taylor should have put more trust in Burrow, 7 seconds is still plenty of time to run one more play for the attempted win.

The good:

Joe Burrow showed that the game wasn’t too big for him. No OTAs, minicamp or preseason games, having to face Joey Bosa and a top 10 ranked defense from last season, and he held his own. The shovel pass  made me flashback to Dalton, but the composure he showed on the last drive impressed me and showed why he was the #1 pick.

Defense-Yes, they played well, but come on, it was Tyrod Taylor and they still gave up over 150 yards in rushing. The tackling has improved and I don’t think there was a lot of YAC. Also, stopping them on 4th and short twice was huge.

The return game was good and part of the reason our average starting position was so much better than LA’s. It looks like they are picking up where they left off last season.

Kevin Huber punted well.

The bad:

Bobby Hart needs to go.

Fat Randy’s last kick. There is no excuse for cramping up if you’re standing on the sidelines. But he did make a 50 yarder earlier in the game.

The ugly:

The OPI call at the end of the game. That was ridiculous.

Mixon’s fumble. What bad timing!

Burrow’s shovel pass. Should have never been thrown. However, I’m going to chalk that up to his eagerness to make something happen. He will learn from it. 

All in all, I was encouraged by what I saw. The team just needs to get to the point where a ticky-tack call doesn’t determine the game.

GOOD

Burrow showed some of that phenomenal accuracy fitting balls in to tight windows and displaying a lot of poise. I think we have a good one, folks.

That's the hardest I've seen the defense hit in years. Bates, Bynes and Pratt were all noticeable.

It's super early but the upgrades to the LB group and secondary seem to be positive ones.

Not enough is being made of Jonah Williams performance. Playing in his first game he was lights out.

Kevin Huber was kicking the skin off of the ball

BAD

Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd were severely underutilized.

Run defense...Ekeler and Kelley went for 144 yards on 31 carries (4.6 YPC)

Aside from the missed connection by Burrow, AJ Green looked old and very pedestrian. I hope it's just ring rust.

Refereeing.  Some really questionable calls during the game. 

Mixon's fumble. I get it, he never fumbles but, that was bad

AJ's PI penalty

UGLY

Joe's shovel pass INT

Slobby Hart The Wedding Singer. Guy shouldn't touch the field again this year.

Fat Randy's terrible missed FG

7 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

He's a guy who will have taken a year off. It'll be an interesting draft

I don't care. He's that damned good. Unfortunately we'll never be in a position to draft him, but there looks to be some other decent tackles in next year's draft (if we can keep Burrow alive until then).

Not really much outside of what anyone has already said.

1)  It was strange feeling thinking we could actually win during that last drive.

2)  A preseason game or two is definitely needed.

3)  I don't think we'll have a great season, but I am looking forward to watching Burrow play (and hopefully not make some poor choices).

It's a building year. As long as Burrow isn't mangled and some of the other younger players improve, drafting high again wouldn't be bad. After the Mixon contract we'll have the 10th most cap space next year when there should be a better than usual crop of free agents with the cap dropping. If we had a shutdown CB and a better right side of the O-line, we'd be a good team. Or at least as good a team as Taylor's abilities will permit. He was severely outcoached yesterday.

Good:

Fun watching Burrow, I don't expect him to panic like the Red Rifle did

If WJ III keeps playing like this he has to be signed over AJ

Bad:

Parts of the game were like a ML playoff game - guy who never fumbles fumbles and the guy who never misses short kicks misses one with a Midol related cramp. 

I thought the Offensive tried too hard to get AJ the ball - Boyd is now our best WR

Why not throw to tate in the Red Zone at the end of the game - jump ball king

Ugly: The Hart Ross shit show. 

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Good:

Fun watching Burrow, I don't expect him to panic like the Red Rifle did

If WJ III keeps playing like this he has to be signed over AJ

Bad:

Parts of the game were like a ML playoff game - guy who never fumbles fumbles and the guy who never misses short kicks misses one with a Midol related cramp. 

I thought the Offensive tried too hard to get AJ the ball - Boyd is now our best WR

Why not throw to tate in the Red Zone at the end of the game - jump ball king

Ugly: The Hart Ross shit show. 

I believe Higgins and Tate along with Boyd are the future...

Green looked a step slower and rusty .

Hopefully he and the others mentioned 

look better against Cleveland...

john ross is such a bad player. i get that it seems to be all in his head and if "he gets out of his own head" blah blah.. but a HUGE first down bobble and a TD lost.. those are two individual game changing plays. ... there are 6-7 individual plays from everyone that change this game. but man those non crunch time mistakes hurt the worst.

4 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

john ross is such a bad player. i get that it seems to be all in his head and if "he gets out of his own head" blah blah.. but a HUGE first down bobble and a TD lost.. those are two individual game changing plays. ... there are 6-7 individual plays from everyone that change this game. but man those non crunch time mistakes hurt the worst.

Cut him and play Tee Higgins and Auden Tate more. The guy is junk. He was an absolutely terrible draft pick. Like Cedric Ogbuehi in 2015, admit your mistake and move on.

Archived