Inexplicable Bengal losses

1.  Stillers playoff game.  Hill fumble, 4th down conversion, then multiple personal foul penalties

2.  Broncos #1.  Brandon Stokley catches tipped pass for TD

3.  Broncos #2.  Botched snap prevents game tying PAT

4.  Chargers.  OPI nullifies game winning TD followed by shanked FG miss.

5.  49ers.  Wyche stupidly goes for it on 4th down deep in own territory.  Montana gets the ball back with seconds left and throws TD pass

6.  Dolphins.  Andy Dullton safety to lose the game

Any others?  Not looking for conventional losses - but more of the WTF type. 

Final game of 2006 against Stealers. Improbable comeback to be eligible for playoffs--every team which had to lose, did. 

Fell behind early, then came all the way back to tie. Had the ball in waning moments of 4th quarter deep into Stealer territory with two timeouts. Clock is allowed to inexplicably run. Either ML or the Quitter decided to run the ball into the line, then tried a quick pass which was incomplete. THEN they call timeout. Still enough time to run another play and a timeout, but bring Graham out. Shanks one. 

First play of OT, Holmes pass over the middle, and he goes the distance.        

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

5.  49ers.  Wyche stupidly goes for it on 4th down deep in own territory.  Montana gets the ball back with seconds left and throws TD pass

On the TD play all the SF WRs were wide left but Jerry Rice.  Bengals single covered Jerry Rice.  TD. 

15 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Final game of 2006 against Stealers. Improbable comeback to be eligible for playoffs--every team which had to lose, did. 

Fell behind early, then came all the way back to tie. Had the ball in waning moments of 4th quarter deep into Stealer territory with two timeouts. Clock is allowed to inexplicably run. Either ML or the Quitter decided to run the ball into the line, then tried a quick pass which was incomplete. THEN they call timeout. Still enough time to run another play and a timeout, but bring Graham out. Shanks one. 

I vaguely remember that.  Mainly because I had already given up hope on the season since I wasn't expecting everything to go their way in the other games.

That was the week after the Denver botched PAT, right? 

3 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

I vaguely remember that.  Mainly because I had already given up hope on the season since I wasn't expecting everything to go their way in the other games.

Man, I don't remember that Denver game specifically.  I remember exactly where I was for that SF game.  I delayed driving from KY to ATL to watch that game.  Pissed the entire drive to ATL. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Man, I don't remember that Denver game specifically.  I remember exactly where I was for that SF game.  I delayed driving from KY to ATL to watch that game.  Pissed the entire drive to ATL. 

I'm pretty sure the Bengals scored the tying TD on 4th down too.  Well, the tie depended upon the PAT.  I forget if Brad East St Louis botched the snap or the holder just missed it. 

2 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I know this isn't quite the topic but, I heard today that the Bengals are a league worst 0-9 since the start of the 2019 season in one possession games. This basically means the Bengals, to the surprise of no one here, cannot win close games.

I would say it differently.  The Bengals figure out ways to lose close games.

1 minute ago, tibor75 said:

I'm pretty sure the Bengals scored the tying TD on 4th down too.  Well, the tie depended upon the PAT.  I forget if Brad East St Louis botched the snap or the holder just missed it. 

Just looked it up.  That botched snap was in 2006.  The SF game was the late 80's.  88 or 89.

15 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

You are correct. IIRC they could have locked up a playoff spot by winning in DEN. The following week, they needed two teams to lose in order to get in—along with a win or tie vs PIT. They got the two losses—amazingly—but, well you know the rest.

(Amish and I did have some fun with dumb Stealer fans that day. Long story, and a bit mischievous)

1st suoer bowl..

We run Pete Johnson in back of Munoz to win..

No..they get cute and run in back of Montoya and Hacksaw Reynolds made the stop...

I came within a mini second if throwing

a bottle at the screen...

2nd super bowl..our feature running back is laying in a fetal position in the middle of the night on crack.. 

AJ to AJ to beat Stealers in playoff game..

Yesterday is in my list as well...

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

1st suoer bowl..

We run Pete Johnson in back of Munoz to win..

No..they get cute and run in back of Montoya and Hacksaw Reynolds made the stop...

I came within a mini second if throwing

a bottle at the screen...

2nd super bowl..our feature running back is laying in a fetal position in the middle of the night on crack.. 

AJ to AJ to beat Stealers in playoff game..

Yesterday is in my list as well...

2nd Super Bowl it wasn’t the Bengals feature back.  Those were Ickey Woods and James Brooks. Stanley Wilson was a big part of the team though and a real tragedy.  

It wasn’t just Pete Johnson getting stopped....Dan Bunz dropping Charlie Alexander, a big man in his own right, at the 1 on a swing pass was insane.  
https://youtu.be/EsA2oH5ggKE

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

And Holmes did the O-H in the endzone.  It was NYE and I got so drunk & loud at our neighbors house that night I frightened their children. 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

2006 vs Chargers.  Up 28-7 at half. Gave up 42 points in second half. Lost 41-49.  Palmer was 31-42 440yds, 3TDs 0 INTs 131 rating. Chad had 260 yards receiving with 2TDs.  It was brutal. 

JFC I forgot about that. 2006 just about every loss was inexplicable. Hell Tampa Bay was a stupid loss too! 

Archived