9 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

The sad thing is, the narrative tomorrow will be "well, the score looks close but it really wasn't... the Browns DOMINATED this game and it was NEVER in doubt", etc etc

Now, that's true to a point, but anyone really paying attention knows what an incredible performance this was by Burrow.  They have a WAY better defense than we do, we have a TERRIBLE OL... and it's a five-point game.  Burrow got clobbered.  And he threw 3 TDs.

Yep, we got all kinds of problems but QB ain't one of them. It's amazing what Burrow was able to do with that O-line and a defense that couldn't even hold the Browns to FGs.

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Three Bengals led the league in missed tackles last year.

Two are no longer with the team.

One was William Jackson

Who were the other two?

I would say one was Kirkpatrick.

Who was the other ... or other two if not Kirkpatrick?

I’ve got to figure it was Vigil and Kirkpatrick. The only other possibility based on what was said might be Preston Brown but he only played 8 games.

2 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

They should sit John Ross if for no reason than to get his attention and play Tate next week

Just trade him, damn the cap consequences, he's dead weight.  Trade him to a team that is desperate for WR help and wants to give a former first-round WR "a chance".  All we want back is an RG or RT with a pulse.

Ok, here are some interesting stat facts from nfl.com:

"Joe Burrow became the first rookie since 1950 with 60+ pass attempts and 0 INT in a game."

"The Bengals allowed 200+ rush yards in a game for the 5th time since the start of 2019 (most in NFL in that span)."

"The Browns allowed an individual 300-yard passer for the first time in their last 24 games (23-game streak was longest in NFL)."

"The Bengals are 0-10 in one-possession games since the beginning of 2019."

17 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Rushing yards: 217 - 67

And there, folks, is the difference in the game. Right now all the squawking heads are talking about how great Baker Mayfield played, but once the stats come out, (and I tried to find them), I think you’re going to see that Burrow’s stats will be better, in spite of the poor protection. Yes, the fumble was bad, but it was Myles freakin’ Garrett who forced it. Our run defense is putrid again.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Lawson is the best training camp player ever. 

And you can really see Hubbard's athleticism in how gracefully he gets pancaked at the point of attack. He may be our most complete defender on the field, he completely sucks in run defense and pass rush. He has the speed to get downfield and miss tackles, which is rare in a man his size.  Few players can dive 3 feet away from a QB after being pushed wide on the rush with the speed and quickness that Hubbard can.

He and Lawson really put the Jane in our Jungle. 

And just to define what I was dealing with, since we don’t have NFL Network, I had to watch the game on my phone but listen to the Browns broadcast and it was 1-2 plays ahead of the stream, so even though I had headphones in, I still could hear the Browns broadcasters. And, yes, I was stingy and wouldn’t share my phone with my hubby. 

6 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

Burrow is going to get hurt if the coaches don't make some adjustments to our protection. Happy we didnt get embarrassed by the clowns, but don't like how we're just throwing Burrow out there like the line is even decent, chucking 60 passes. The fuck

This should come as no surprise, this team always does the least.  I said this would happen many times during the offseason and was repeatedly assured that Burrow is so gosh-golly awesome that he won't need an OL.

Welp...

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I think I can safely say that Ross doesn't give a shit.  He gets paid either way.

He certainly plays like he doesn't give a shit. At least once a game I have seen him give up on the route or not fight to get the ball.  I think I start giving Higgins more snaps if he is gonna play this way.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He certainly plays like he doesn't give a shit. At least once a game I have seen him give up on the route or not fight to get the ball.  I think I start giving Higgins more snaps if he is gonna play this way.

This, but 2-3 years ago.  

Joe Burrow: “Losing isn’t very fun”

“Losing isn’t very fun,” Burrow told reporters after Thursday’s 35-30 loss to the Browns. “This might be the only time in my sporting career that I have lost two games in a row. It doesn’t feel very good. I know that the guys in there are hurting. We are going to come back to work tomorrow and try to get this thing right. Losing is unacceptable to me, to everyone in there, to coach [Zac] Taylor and to everybody in this organization. We are just going to have to get it fixed.”

It’s an admirable attitude, but it’s likely not something that will quickly change. The Bengals have Burrow because they went 2-14 last year.

“I will never adjust or accept losing,” Burrow added. “That is just something that is not in my mindset so this 0-2 start is really hurting me. I know it is hurting Coach and everybody in there. We will never adjust to losing. We will never accept losing. We are just going to have to get it right.”

They have a few extra days to get it right before playing again, next Sunday at Philadelphia.

And the wins will come. The Bengals could have won both of their games this year. And Burrow improved significantly from Sunday to Thursday, ironing out the occasions in which he tried to do too much while completing 37 of 61 passes.

The 61 attempts are No. 2 in franchise history (behind Jon Kitna’s 68), and the most ever in a Bengals’ non-overtime game. Also, the 37 completions tie Carson Palmer for No. 2 on the Bengals’ single-game list. The performance has drawn widespread praise for the first overall pick in the draft.

“[W]e are 0-2,” Burrow said. “That is all that matters.”

With that kind of attitude, and given the way he performed last night, the wins definitely will come.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/18/joe-burrow-losing-isnt-very-fun/

25 minutes ago, Griever said:

Joe Burrow: “Losing isn’t very fun”

“Losing isn’t very fun,” Burrow told reporters after Thursday’s 35-30 loss to the Browns. “This might be the only time in my sporting career that I have lost two games in a row. It doesn’t feel very good. I know that the guys in there are hurting. We are going to come back to work tomorrow and try to get this thing right. Losing is unacceptable to me, to everyone in there, to coach [Zac] Taylor and to everybody in this organization. We are just going to have to get it fixed.”

It’s an admirable attitude, but it’s likely not something that will quickly change. The Bengals have Burrow because they went 2-14 last year.

“I will never adjust or accept losing,” Burrow added. “That is just something that is not in my mindset so this 0-2 start is really hurting me. I know it is hurting Coach and everybody in there. We will never adjust to losing. We will never accept losing. We are just going to have to get it right.”

They have a few extra days to get it right before playing again, next Sunday at Philadelphia.

And the wins will come. The Bengals could have won both of their games this year. And Burrow improved significantly from Sunday to Thursday, ironing out the occasions in which he tried to do too much while completing 37 of 61 passes.

The 61 attempts are No. 2 in franchise history (behind Jon Kitna’s 68), and the most ever in a Bengals’ non-overtime game. Also, the 37 completions tie Carson Palmer for No. 2 on the Bengals’ single-game list. The performance has drawn widespread praise for the first overall pick in the draft.

“[W]e are 0-2,” Burrow said. “That is all that matters.”

With that kind of attitude, and given the way he performed last night, the wins definitely will come.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/18/joe-burrow-losing-isnt-very-fun/

He'll come around 

13 hours ago, DudleyDawson said:

I just think time will tell. I might be completely wrong and hes the worst coach of all time. But im cutting him some slack for last year. Im also being patient with the rookie QB.

The rookie QB isn't the problem, indeed he's already a better player than some of his starting teammates or coaches. 

Taylor screwed the pooch by not upgrading the coaching staff this offseason. We have a ragamuffin cast of leftovers who were available in January of 2019. A 2-14 record would have been plenty of justification to replace stiffs like Turner and Anarumo. But we kept them around instead of hiring say Bill Callahan and Wade Phillips. No sense in giving a young HC some experienced assistants, no siree. 

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The rookie QB isn't the problem, indeed he's already a better player than some of his starting teammates or coaches. 

Taylor screwed the pooch by not upgrading the coaching staff this offseason. We have a ragamuffin cast of leftovers who were available in January of 2019. A 2-14 record would have been plenty of justification to replace stiffs like Turner and Anarumo. But we kept them around instead of hiring say Bill Callahan and Wade Phillips. No sense in giving a young HC some experienced assistants, no siree. 

It's hard for me to think he's not already the best player on team. Who on offense is better? Green? Not at this point. Boyd? Maybe, but he makes mistakes too. 

Anyone on defense? Geno looked washed last year. 

Thinking through the roster, I'm not sure its even close. If Burrow isn't out there last night, they may have lost 42-7. His yards per attempt is trash, but he's so accurate with the ball. He's incredibly fun to watch, unlike Dalton who was the equivalent of generic brand wax beans. 

26 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I really thought Vonn Bell  would help this defense more than he has. Good against the run in New Orleans, but even more than that, he was an incredibly effective blitzer. So far, we haven't seen any of that from him. I only really noticed one blitz last night, and it was Logan Wilson getting stoned at the LOS. 

Legit forgot we signed that guy

Archived