48 minutes ago, Spotto said:

So what your saying is that the Bengals scouting department has more chance of landing quality draft day picks with their eyes closed?

On one hand other teams may fall to our scouting level (watching more tape and less travel). On the other hand, it may take better scouts to see the potential of players. 

Other leagues have the same issues. 

End of the day our team needs more and better scouts, that is a given if we want to be more consistent in our drafts.

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On one hand other teams may fall to our scouting level (watching more tape and less travel). On the other hand, it may take better scouts to see the potential of players. 

Other leagues have the same issues. 

End of the day our team needs more and better scouts, that is a given if we want to be more consistent in our drafts.

Bravo!

I did hear the announcers say the team has 22 assistant scouts tops in the league..

Oh yeah..who???

49 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Penei Sewell of Oregon is considered one of the best OL prospects in years.  He's opted out but I guess he could change his mind if PAC12 decides to play.  He shouldn't.  But I think he plays same position as Jonah Williams.

He does play LT, but if we got Sewell, we should move Jonah to RT.  I’ve been on the “Trade AJ” bandwagon for four years now, it’s time.  If we can get a 3rd rounder for him, we have to take it.  Let Ross walk and we get a comp pick.  This leaves playing time for Boyd, Higgins and Tate as your top 3 WRs.

Off-season Needs:

RT (draft Sewell)j, move JW to RT

RG (overpay for a veteran RT)

Speed WR

Edge

DT

If we address all of these positions we should be a playoff team next year barring good health.  We also need depth along the oline. 

25 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I was including backups - Jordan, Hopkins would be backups on better teams and Johnson and hart would be cut from most teams

There are a lot of bad OL’s in the NFL right now. Even on some of the “good” teams...

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I saw a few Cleveland OL on their backs at various times last nite as well...does that mean they suck or is our DL just great?
This team has lost 2 games by a combined 8 points with a rookie QB and no preseason. They will get better as a whole, I have little doubt about that.

Matter of fact, I fully expect this team to be 2-2 after the Jax game. Let’s see what happens after that. 

Love your enthusiasm and its posdible...

I cant strrss this enough..

You build a winner with a solid QB a good Oline and a strong solid  defensive front  7...

Its the formula...

All the rest of the pieces will fall in place...

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

I cant strrss this enough..

You build a winner with a solid QB a good Oline and a strong solid  defensive front  7...

Its the formula...

All the rest of the pieces will fall in place...

This right here.  I dont see why more teams don't just draft OL and DL in the top of the  first round with the exception of a franchise QB.     With a great OL an average QB can be good and the same with RB and WR.

12 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

This right here.  I dont see why more teams don't just draft OL and DL in the top of the  first round with the exception of a franchise QB.     With a great OL an average QB can be good and the same with RB and WR.

The Bengals did that.  Williams, Price, Oogie-Boogie, and Fisher.  How has that worked out for them?  A lot of offensive linemen do come from later in the draft.  The Bengals just haven't found many lately and that's an indictment of their judge of talent.  Maybe it's what left of Paul Alexander's legacy, a guy who stayed long past his expiration date.

16 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Penei Sewell of Oregon is considered one of the best OL prospects in years.  He's opted out but I guess he could change his mind if PAC12 decides to play.  He shouldn't.  But I think he plays same position as Jonah Williams.

Given the governments in California and Oregon I don't think the PAC12 will be able to decide to play.  

If we do somehow draft Sewell Jonah moves right.  However I'm not convinced we would take him even if he was available because "Bobby Hart is phenomenal".

39 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Having the 1st round pick overall in the draft...

Bad - likely means that Zak Morris is a horrible coach and probably isn't the guy

Good - plenty of teams will want to trade up to get Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields and the Bengals will have their choice of offers

Bad - Burrows may be scarred for life.

I want to call the HC Zac Shula

On 9/19/2020 at 12:36 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Bad - Burrows may be scarred for life.

That's the main concern, I don't expect anything out of a coaching hire by this organization.  Letting Burrow get pummeled into mediocrity like they did Dalton would be a real shame.

It's hard to justify starting a season with this OL group.  It's either greed or stupidity, or both.  There's no good reason for it.

CBS Sportsline's way too early mock has us drafting 5th and taking Sewell. I'd be fine with that outcome but we can't count on him being on the board at 5 and I'd hate for us to skip the O-line in free agency because we'll draft a stud, then Sewell is gone at 5, then there isn't good value in round 2, etc and Hart continues to start. 

37 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Injuries are a concern  in the short term. in the medium to long term Burrows seems like the kind of guy that won't stand for losing so if the team does not improve or it is just average like it was with ML, he will bolt. 

2 games into his rookie season and you’re already talking about him leaving? God damn only Bengals fans do shit like this. 

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

CBS Sportsline's way too early mock has us drafting 5th and taking Sewell. I'd be fine with that outcome but we can't count on him being on the board at 5 and I'd hate for us to skip the O-line in free agency because we'll draft a stud, then Sewell is gone at 5, then there isn't good value in round 2, etc and Hart continues to start. 

There are a lot of good first round OT’s in the 21 draft. The Bengals will not be picking top 5. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I see 2 Qbs going then Sewell...

He could help any QB stay ckean and healthy for years..

I would hope we've learned our lesson about expecting a wet-behind-the-ears rookie to come in and fix the OL.  I wouldn't expect it, mind you, but I would hope.

Good teams make rookies earn that spot, even if it's in TC.  They don't pencil guys in as starters on draft day.

39 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would hope we've learned our lesson about expecting a wet-behind-the-ears rookie to come in and fix the OL.  I wouldn't expect it, mind you, but I would hope.

Good teams make rookies earn that spot, even if it's in TC.  They don't pencil guys in as starters on draft day.

You dont think the Colts penciled in 

Quentin Nelson to start upon drafting him?

The Stealers did the same with David Decastro..

List goes on and on...

Archived