Everything Zac Taylor...

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So, is she younger or older than Zimmer's assistant coach son?

I'd happily take Zimmer back since it would mean getting rid of Taylor and his crew. It won't make Mike Brown any smarter or less stubborn. 

Zim is 64, the comely young lady is 38. Adam is 36.  

25 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I'm starting to think it's all of the coaches "picking favourites", much like Marvin did.  We know Turner is infamous for his adventure in Miami picking favourites, and we sure as hell know his favourite here (starts with a B, ends with a skid mark) is laughable as an on-field talent, so what gives?  I get it with Carlos as I've already said, he isn't performing to his contract and they probably want to give Hubbard and Kareem more of the snaps because they don't intend to keep Carlos around.  But Geno... c'mon, we have no pass rush at all, the dude has always been a monster in the middle on passing downs, often the only guy getting any kind of pressure even when double-teamed; I have to think it's off-field or in-the-locker-room issues of some kind, or potentially the coaches knowing something we don't about MB already planning to move on from Geno.

As for Zim, I would be happy to give him a shot as long as he hires the right offensive coordinator that fits with Joe.   We've seen it already, Joe is not the guy to try and "lock down" into something he's not comfortable with, they have to work with him to build something.  For that, at least, I give the current staff credit.  And regarding Zim as a DC, I liked his system and what he did here but something I always remember is that he needed "a couple pieces" on the field or his whole system broke down.  The most important thing?  DB's who see and think the game like a coach, especially at the back.  They brought back Crocker twice to "calm things down" and wouldn't you know it, it worked.  I try to see who is like Crocker in the current lineup and I hope it's Bates but I'm not sure it is.  Someone has to recognize the offense, has to recognize the likely audibles and more importantly has to be able to communicate to the rest of the DB's EXACTLY what to switch to.  Our current guys seemed confused as fuck and not agreeing with each other at all.

That's putting it mildly.

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I'm starting to think it's all of the coaches "picking favourites", much like Marvin did.  We know Turner is infamous for his adventure in Miami picking favourites, and we sure as hell know his favourite here (starts with a B, ends with a skid mark) is laughable as an on-field talent, so what gives?  I get it with Carlos as I've already said, he isn't performing to his contract and they probably want to give Hubbard and Kareem more of the snaps because they don't intend to keep Carlos around.  But Geno... c'mon, we have no pass rush at all, the dude has always been a monster in the middle on passing downs, often the only guy getting any kind of pressure even when double-teamed; I have to think it's off-field or in-the-locker-room issues of some kind, or potentially the coaches knowing something we don't about MB already planning to move on from Geno.

As for Zim, I would be happy to give him a shot as long as he hires the right offensive coordinator that fits with Joe.   We've seen it already, Joe is not the guy to try and "lock down" into something he's not comfortable with, they have to work with him to build something.  For that, at least, I give the current staff credit.  And regarding Zim as a DC, I liked his system and what he did here but something I always remember is that he needed "a couple pieces" on the field or his whole system broke down.  The most important thing?  DB's who see and think the game like a coach, especially at the back.  They brought back Crocker twice to "calm things down" and wouldn't you know it, it worked.  I try to see who is like Crocker in the current lineup and I hope it's Bates but I'm not sure it is.  Someone has to recognize the offense, has to recognize the likely audibles and more importantly has to be able to communicate to the rest of the DB's EXACTLY what to switch to.  Our current guys seemed confused as fuck and not agreeing with each other at all.

I agree that there is some kind of issue with Atkins and Dunlop that is off the field.  Maybe the coaches are right?  If they are stirring up inappropriate dissent in the locker room, then OK.  I'm waiting to hear from one of the vets brought in to help.  They've seen winning locker rooms.  If it's bad they need to speak up.  If they say nothing it suggests to me that the coaches are in the right and Carlos and Geno need to get with the program.

If Taylor gets blown out at home vs the Browns....wow. 

We know 3 things about Mike Brown:

1. He loves his pa... Senior meant the world to MB and he's spent the last 30 years trying to please him.

2. He loves a good deal...nuff said

3. He hates the Browns...Marvin kept a job for a decade because he consistently beat the Browns. As a HC for the Bengals as long as you win the Battle of Ohio aka the fight for the honor of the Brown family you will have job security. 

As you may recall the Bengals ended the season with an overtime loss to Dolphins and a double digit win vs the Browns.

The numbers don't lie, his win percentage (16% ) as a HC speaks volumes. He tries deflect blame, make excuses, and smirk his way out of responsibility for his short comings.

Taylor tries to add late scores to make losses look better but it's still a pig despite the Fenty lipstick, 16% winning percentage is all time bad. 

58 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If Taylor gets blown out at home vs the Browns....wow. 

We know 3 things about Mike Brown:

1. He loves his pa... Senior meant the world to MB and he's spent the last 30 years trying to please him.

2. He loves a good deal...nuff said

3. He hates the Browns...Marvin kept a job for a decade because he consistently beat the Browns. As a HC for the Bengals as long as you win the Battle of Ohio aka the fight for the honor of the Brown family you will have job security. 

As you may recall the Bengals ended the season with an overtime loss to Dolphins and a double digit win vs the Browns.

The numbers don't lie, his win percentage (16% ) as a HC speaks volumes. He tries deflect blame, make excuses, and smirk his way out of responsibility for his short comings.

Taylor tries to add late scores to make losses look better but it's still a pig despite the Fenty lipstick, 16% winning percentage is all time bad. 

MB has tried 30 yrs to please the old man??....

Here I thought his mission was to please himself and his bankroll...

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Paul Brown seemed to be more obsessed with making sure he had ownership control (and control in general) than he did over winning. This came after the Browns booted him. As a coach, he clearly wanted to win but as an owner he wanted complete control. Mikey has satisfied that but no playoff wins since 1991 makes PB roll in his grave

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Paul Brown seemed to be more obsessed with making sure he had ownership control (and control in general) than he did over winning. This came after the Browns booted him. As a coach, he clearly wanted to win but as an owner he wanted complete control. Mikey has satisfied that but no playoff wins since 1991 makes PB roll in his grave

29 years without even one playoff win..

Are Katy and Zach turning  the team in a New direction?

I.have to have hope they will..

It looks like theyre planning on an overhaul ..

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

PLANNING on an overhaul?  3 years in? That's their plan/system/culture?

18 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

A player overhaul is meaningless unless they add significant resources to the front office. Our management and personnel groups are 1/3 - 1/2 the size of all the other teams in the league and the people we have may not even be any good. So we can turn the players over 10 times but it mean anything until the departments above them have the right number and skill of staff to pick the right players.

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

A player overhaul is meaningless unless they add significant resources to the front office. Our management and personnel groups are 1/3 - 1/2 the size of all the other teams in the league and the people we have may not even be any good. So we can turn the players over 10 times but it mean anything until the departments above them have the right number and skill of staff to pick the right players.

How do you know you wont see coaching changes in the off season as well?

Constant carousel of asst coaches hired and fired every year..

8 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Last I checked there were officially 2 talent scouts plus Duke Tobin and his Dad.  I'm guessing that's closer to 1/16th the size of most pro scouting departments at best.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Last I checked there were officially 2 talent scouts plus Duke Tobin and his Dad.  I'm guessing that's closer to 1/16th the size of most pro scouting departments at best.

They signed Christian Sarkasian former director of player personnel at Northwetern U.to the scouting staff this season to bring the toal to 8 scouts..

Still small in comparison to other teams..

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

They signed Christian Sarkasian former director of player personnel at Northwetern U.to the scouting staff this season to bring the toal to 8 scouts..

Still small in comparison to other teams..

Hey that's something, anything beyond "Golly Dad! This Ross guy runs, like, HELLA fast!"

From conversations I've had with some inside the #Bengals organization today, the feeling that Zac Taylor has lost the locker room is being driven by one or two players. Overwhelming majority disagrees. Joe Burrow echoed that today: "This is a very close locker room." @fox19

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

As horrid as a 16% winning pct looks, Hue Jackson was even worse at Cleveland with a rate of just 8.8% (3-36-1 over 3 years).

Head coaching record

Team Year Regular season Postseason
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
OAK 2011 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC West
OAK total 8 8 0 .500   - - - -
CLE 2016 1 15 0 .063 4th in AFC North
CLE 2017 0 16 0 .000 4th in AFC North
CLE 2018 2 5 1 .313 (fired)

(5-3 after his tenure)

CLE total 3 36 1 .088  
Total 11 44 1 .205  

1-4-1 is not good enough, but the vast majority of the team is still competing hard for this staff.  It's not a stretch to say they could've or should've won 2 or 3 against LA, Philly, and Indy and two of the losses involved late misses by Fat Randy.  The main problem is getting both offense and defense to play well at the same time.  The defense has played well at times (LA, JAX, BAL), but they were shredded by CLE and gave up late leads to Philly and Indy.  The offense has struggled to protect Burrow (24 sacks allowed, T-2nd most in NFL) but they've only had two poor performances against LA and BAL.  Burrow has thrown for 300 or more 4 times and twice been betrayed by late game missed FG.  Overall, this team isn't finishing games and they're making just enough mistakes to lose, which isn't surprising for a young team and staff.  I don't buy the narrative about Taylor losing the locker room, at least not yet.  

Archived