Jump to content

Everything Zac Taylor...


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

I really don't think it's about money. Look no further than Bobby Hart's contract to see that it's not about money. It's about control. The Brown family are control freaks. They can't fathom relinquishing control.

Read SF2's post again - its about NON SALARY CAP money. Yes, this team pays players salaries as all teams do. But our front office and personnel department are 1/3rd to 1/2 the size of other teams. This is non-salary cap spending and this is where the Browns are 'cheap'. Mikey seems to think that his personnel group of 8 people can compete with the Stealers who have 20  or so in the same department. It doesn't work, it can't work because all other things in the league are equalized. It literally comes down to picking better players than other teams and coaching them better. And how can we do that with a pint sized scouting staff and Zac Shula?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A snippet from an article in the Athletic on ownership and culture:

 

Sheila Ford Hamp has a big challenge ahead of her: No owner in Lions history has been able to solve the organizational problems that have hampered the franchise over the last 50-plus years. She must be saying to herself: “How can I do any worse than my predecessors?” The bar is that low.

 

What can set Hamp apart from those before her is establishing her vision for the team. Who the Lions become as a football team — from style, philosophy, direction, toughness, and leadership — should come from Hamp. Like any other business, football craves its direction from the top down. The organizational character and culture are created from the owner’s vision. The ownership group defines the team and defines the philosophy on the macro level, from leadership style to how it deals with players, contracts, agents, employees and staff. The organization becomes an extension of the owner. Therefore, how members conduct themselves must be consistent with the owner’s business behavior and model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, Sea Ray said:

I really don't think it's about money. Look no further than Bobby Hart's contract to see that it's not about money. It's about control. The Brown family are control freaks. They can't fathom relinquishing control.

NFL teams are required to spend a certain amount of money.  It doesn't matter who gets it.  They thought Bobby Hart was worth it.  smh...

 

Spending money on scouts, GMs, and other front office personnel comes straight off the profit line.  Much different than the required amount of player salaries they must spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Read SF2's post again - its about NON SALARY CAP money. Yes, this team pays players salaries as all teams do. But our front office and personnel department are 1/3rd to 1/2 the size of other teams. This is non-salary cap spending and this is where the Browns are 'cheap'. Mikey seems to think that his personnel group of 8 people can compete with the Stealers who have 20  or so in the same department. It doesn't work, it can't work because all other things in the league are equalized. It literally comes down to picking better players than other teams and coaching them better. And how can we do that with a pint sized scouting staff and Zac Shula?

 

I get it but do you really think it's about paying for a few scout salaries? It's not. It's about control. They want to prove they can do it all w/i the family

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

 

I get it but do you really think it's about paying for a few scout salaries? It's not. It's about control. They want to prove they can do it all w/i the family

 

They don't give a shit, as long as the profit sharing checks clear. For them the Bengals are a cash cow that affords them a lifestyle. 

 

They are leeches sucking on the blood of the Hamilton County tax payers and Bengals fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

 

They don't give a shit, as long as the profit sharing checks clear. For them the Bengals are a cash cow that affords them a lifestyle. 

 

They are leeches sucking on the blood of the Hamilton County tax payers and Bengals fans.

And most of the other franchises who are trying to put entertaining and marketable product out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Bengals spent a couple million a year more on professional front office folks, they could save themselves from paying $6 mil per year to the Bobby Hart and CJ Uzomah's of the world. They'd not only have more money to pay better players, they might be able to field a winning team. That would certainly be worth more than the extra salaries in the front office. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If the Bengals spent a couple million a year more on professional front office folks, they could save themselves from paying $6 mil per year to the Bobby Hart and CJ Uzomah's of the world. They'd not only have more money to pay better players, they might be able to field a winning team. That would certainly be worth more than the extra salaries in the front office. 

Yes, and then they could charge more for seats and corporate boxes, etc and make MORE money than they do now. Mike Brown is an absolute clueless business person. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If the Bengals spent a couple million a year more on professional front office folks, they could save themselves from paying $6 mil per year to the Bobby Hart and CJ Uzomah's of the world. They'd not only have more money to pay better players, they might be able to field a winning team. That would certainly be worth more than the extra salaries in the front office. 

 

You’re preaching to the choir.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

If one wished to see what “bleeding taxpayers dry” really looks like: try the Raiders $750 million shortfall with their new stadium...and the cool half billion in cash strapped LA. 

You are aware that the Raiders and LA teams were kinda depending on 100% full to capacity stadiums to fund this right?  Context is pretty important in 2020.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Taylor didn't seem to have much control over his players today. He didn't get humiliated like Anthony Lynn did today but Taylor is making a strong case for change at the end of the season.

Did you see his presser? He looked like a guy who's being forced to coach this team or his wife will find out about the hooker he murdered. He's making a strong MEDICAL case for not being forced to endure this much stress and shame for another year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Did you see his presser? He looked like a guy who's being forced to coach this team or his wife will find out about the hooker he murdered. He's making a strong MEDICAL case for not being forced to endure this much stress and shame for another year. 

 

Reminds me of the change in Marvin from the younger, snappily-dressed boss mf ready to take on the world when he got here & the "beat down city bus driver a year from retirement" look he was sporting when he left.  He aged like a President.  Coaching the Bengals is like living in dog years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If the Bengals spent a couple million a year more on professional front office folks, they could save themselves from paying $6 mil per year to the Bobby Hart and CJ Uzomah's of the world. They'd not only have more money to pay better players, they might be able to field a winning team. That would certainly be worth more than the extra salaries in the front office. 

Agreed...this is why Mike Brown is not a good businessman nor is he only interested in the almighty dollar. He'd make a lot more if he'd invest a million or two in the front office and fill the stadium with fans watching a winning team. No, instead he's a control freak who's stubborn and loyal to a fault

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Who doesn't?  :D

 

I need a team worth watching.  But noooo 8-8 wasn't good enough for us :ninja:

 

 

:lmao:

 

:Why-min: 

 

:FeelsBad-min:

 

 

Back when Marvin and Andy were treating us to playoffs 5 in a row I was miffed at the fans who moaned and groaned that we couldn't win a playoff game. I said at the time "hey, it can and has gotten a lot worse. Enjoy the winning regular season and forget the post season if you want but in those seasons at least we had 17 weeks of entertainment to enjoy. 

 

When we lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs, I knew something shitty was going to happen. I went out to dinner that night and purposely did not get near a tv. I knew we'd lose and I knew it'd be a painful loss. Oh how right I was

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sea Ray said:

Agreed...this is why Mike Brown is not a good businessman nor is he only interested in the almighty dollar. He'd make a lot more if he'd invest a million or two in the front office and fill the stadium with fans watching a winning team. No, instead he's a control freak who's stubborn and loyal to a fault

Ahh but you need to understand tickets sales in the NFL are all shared as is TV revenue.    Filling the stadium makes the league a little more money but gosh darn it that’s hard work.  He gets the share of playoff revenue whether the Bengals play or not.  It is the ultimate welfare system.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Ahh but you need to understand tickets sales in the NFL are all shared as is TV revenue.    Filling the stadium makes the league a little more money but gosh darn it that’s hard work.  He gets the share of playoff revenue whether the Bengals play or not.  It is the ultimate welfare system.  

I get all that but he still gets 60% of the ticket revenue plus all the parking and all the concessions. An extra 30K fans would literally make him millions over an 8 game home schedule. Maybe tens of millions.

 

30K x $75/seat x 8 games x 60%= $10.8million ...and that's not including preseason, seat licenses or concessions. Surely Mike has people who can do these projections. 

 

https://www.thehogsty.com/2020/01/23/nfl-revenue-sharing-101/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Numbers changed the title to Everything Zac Taylor...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...