Everything Zac Taylor...

On 10/11/2020 at 8:05 PM, bigboi said:

The closest thing to Walsh was Sean McVay, and with the fact that Taylor is no long on his staff. McVay's offense is continues to evolve.

That's the thing, can someone please tell me what is Taylor's system? Lots of motion and intermediate routes, with zone blocking schemes?

For an offensive genius mastermind whatever....the offense is consistently bad.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

For an offensive genius mastermind whatever....the offense is consistently bad.

No one have ever said he was a genius.  McVay aint a genius either.

Zac may be a good HC in the future; but to get there he's gonna need to turn the offense over to someone who has experience and some resemblance of offense schemes!

54 minutes ago, Spotto said:

No one have ever said he was a genius.  McVay aint a genius either.

Zac may be a good HC in the future; but to get there he's gonna need to turn the offense over to someone who has experience and some resemblance of offense schemes!

Scheme doesn't matter so much if the players can't execute. 

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So we have no OL, poor schemes, poor execution and bad play calling . Other than that, good to go?

I would say it is difficult to evaluate the schemes when the play breaks down at the line more often than not. 

We also have to throw in a rookie QB who was not masterful in identifying all those blitzes last week from Baltimore.  I have confidence he will learn.  I have no such confidence in 3/5 of the OL.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I would say it is difficult to evaluate the schemes when the play breaks down at the line more often than not. 

We also have to throw in a rookie QB who was not masterful in identifying all those blitzes last week from Baltimore.  I have confidence he will learn.  I have no such confidence in 3/5 of the OL.

Jim Turner does and he's Taylor's tough guy/bad cop, and that's the problem. 

I tread water on the "over his head" stuff.

He came in so far under that I think he's still trying to reach the surface.

That said... it seems veterans are giving up on him.

First Carlos being benched for (maybe) dogging it

and now A.J. who seems to have lost not only a step or two

but his heart.

As far as the lip reading A.J. on the bench, all I could get out

of it was "I like turtles".

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

But should the schemes not reflect the talent that is on the roster? You have to adjust the scheme if the players can't pull it off. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I tread water on the "over his head" stuff.

He came in so far under that I think he's still trying to reach the surface.

That said... it seems veterans are giving up on him.

First Carlos being benched for (maybe) dogging it

and now A.J. who seems to have lost not only a step or two

but his heart.

As far as the lip reading A.J. on the bench, all I could get out

of it was "I like turtles".

I 100% agree with this statement.

Almost seems the Zac knows this season is a lost cause.

Ross, Dunlap, Atkins, Green, Price, and Shawn Williams will all be gone next year.

Those moves will create a ton a cap space

We haven't heard a word from Joe B. stating that he wants to keep AJ around..................

I'd actually say the coaching staff as a whole is growing but with the state of the OL and with a rookie QB it's always one step forward, two steps back. On the defensive side of the ball they're definitely growing and making strides but they're on the field so much it's just wearing them out. They've definitely gotten a lot faster on that side of the ball, I'll say that. Offense on the other hand just looks slow and tired, which is obviously a huge problem. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But should the schemes not reflect the talent that is on the roster? You have to adjust the scheme if the players can't pull it off. 

How do scheme for an OL that can't open holes for the run and can't pass block?  You can't run screens, slants and  draws all day.  These guys are that bad.  It's the old "the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."  Until these guys can do something on the OL it's very difficult to judge Taylors "schemes." 

Beyond schemes Taylor has made enough mistakes to show he is over his head.  I'm not worried about Marvin holdovers being disgruntled.  If new guys like Bell, Reader, and Bynes, you know...guys who have won before, start carping then I'll be concerned. 

47 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I'd actually say the coaching staff as a whole is growing but with the state of the OL and with a rookie QB it's always one step forward, two steps back. On the defensive side of the ball they're definitely growing and making strides but they're on the field so much it's just wearing them out. They've definitely gotten a lot faster on that side of the ball, I'll say that. Offense on the other hand just looks slow and tired, which is obviously a huge problem. 

You mention defense is growing..

Younow realize that. Christian Covington is the dline leader now..

Think about that..

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

You mention defense is growing..

Younow realize that. Christian Covington is the dline leader now..

Think about that..

And I really don't expect much of a drop off in total.

He'll likely never get credit for it but, he's actually putting a pretty solid scheme together here, IMO. 

Just now, spicoli said:

I mean it's next man up....what are you gonna do? 

Geno playing himself back into shape will be big for that group going forward.

Hope your right about Adkins..

Im not so sure about him anymore..

Just another 30 plus player thats body is breaking down..

With the Dline begging for bodies is their no chance Josh Tupua will make the effort to come back and help the run stuffing? Guess not...

15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

We have skilled receivers with 4.55 speed..

Some are long striders..

Only quick one is Boyd..

With no time to seperate and get a opening Burrow is running or holding it for them..

Its not working this way..

All comes back on the 5 stooges..

Yep. I saw a state that said Joe Burrow was #3 in the league on "In Routes" despite being the #1 pressured QB in the league.

Which basically means they are having success throwing to the middle of the field because he is getting rid of the ball so quickly because the Oline doesnt give him time to let other routes develop.

I also saw that the Ravens are one of the better teams in the league at taking away the middle.

This is why we lost imho

45 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hope your right about Adkins..

Im not so sure about him anymore..

Just another 30 plus player thats body is breaking down..

With the Dline begging for bodies is their no chance Josh Tupua will make the effort to come back and help the run stuffing? Guess not...

Players who opted out aren't allowed to change their minds and return to play.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yep. I saw a state that said Joe Burrow was #3 in the league on "In Routes" despite being the #1 pressured QB in the league.

Which basically means they are having success throwing to the middle of the field because he is getting rid of the ball so quickly because the Oline doesnt give him time to let other routes develop.

I also saw that the Ravens are one of the better teams in the league at taking away the middle.

This is why we lost imho

Good point..

So we can expect other defenses to do the same no?

Use a two back formation .

Mixon and Sample..

One could pick up the blitzer.. the other would be an outlet or Joe running the ball..

Need to master the option play as well...

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good point..

So we can expect other defenses to do the same no?

Use a two back formation .

Mixon and Sample..

One could pick up the blitzer.. the other would be an outlet or Joe running the ball..

Need to master the option play as well...

I imagine that other teams will try to copy that model yes, whether they are as good as the Ravens doing so who knows, but yes Taylor should find ways to get creative when the middle is taken away and your Oline sucks.

I like that Zac Taylor has started to bench or demote players that are not playing up to their expectations.

That is all I like about Zac Taylor.

If he was the one who got the Bengals to spend some money on reasonable free agent signings this year, I also like this about him.

As far as coaching goes. Yikes. I have seen nothing to encourage me otherwise. Nothing.

Archived