Everything Zac Taylor...

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

Of course, we COULD give him more carries.  Has he actually shown that he can’t do it?  Seems like he does okay on what fee carries he gets (Should be receiving the ball more).

This.

He can still play.  He also is a bit of a change of pace back from Mixon.  Also, RBs don't hold up so well with 20+ carries a game.  I'd rather Gio get 6-8 touches a game just to relieve the load from Mixon.  More if the game is out of hand like it was against the Ravens.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:38 PM, PatternMaster said:

That's the thing, can someone please tell me what is Taylor's system? Lots of motion and intermediate routes, with zone blocking schemes?

For an offensive genius mastermind whatever....the offense is consistently bad.

Taylor was suppose bring over the same scheme from the rams,he was suppose to be the next mcvay.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, PatternMaster said:

Jim Turner does and he's Taylor's tough guy/bad cop, and that's the problem. 

Turner was a awful oline coach in Miami and I was willing to give him a chance,but when you have your number 1 investment out there getting killed then are questions that need to be asked.

19 minutes ago, bigboi said:

Turner was a awful oline coach in Miami and I was willing to give him a chance,but when you have your number 1 investment out there getting killed then are questions that need to be asked.

Yeah like why is he still here?....

Theyre regressing...

On 10/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, SmoothD said:

The top 3 won't be Bengals next year

Cap hits on Carlos and Geno are too high to cut them, they would have to trade them.

Carlos - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/carlos-dunlap-6562/

Geno - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/geno-atkins-6628/

I think both play out their contracts here and we move on. This is the year to really spend all the draft picks on both lines.

15 hours ago, bigboi said:

I don't get it either, he's got a terrible reputation & seems to suck at his job.  I don't recall any deep friendship being mentioned between him & Taylor.  Not that it would be a good excuse but otherwise no idea why the Turner/Hart tandem is some untouchable icon of the franchise.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Cap hits on Carlos and Geno are too high to cut them, they would have to trade them.

I think both play out their contracts here and we move on. This is the year to really spend all the draft picks on both lines.

They can certainly be cut if not traded.

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't get it either, he's got a terrible reputation & seems to suck at his job.  I don't recall any deep friendship being mentioned between him & Taylor.  Not that it would be a good excuse but otherwise no idea why the Turner/Hart tandem is some untouchable icon of the franchise.

It's more like family, Turner and Mike Sherman go back decades. Mike Sherman gave Taylor his first coaching job and is also his father in law.

Turner has somehow been portrayed as a victim of political correctness going overboard instead of hack with poor communication skills.

It seems like Taylor feels indebted to Turner, there's definitely unwavering loyalty, but it's hurting his career.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

You need to look at the Dead Cap column not the Cap Hit Column. For example, if we cut Dunlap after this season, the dead cap money is only $2.250M

9 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

You need to look at the Dead Cap column not the Cap Hit Column. For example, if we cut Dunlap after this season, the dead cap money is only $2.250M

55 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Carlos maybe as he would be a little over 2 mill in dead money next year, but Geno not likely as he would be 5.2 in dead money next year.

;)

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Carlos maybe as he would be a little over 2 mill in dead money next year, but Geno not likely as he would be 5.2 in dead money next year.

Dead money is irrelevant. It's far worse to keep someone around who can't play up to their contract than cut them and save money while giving someone else a chance. With both Atkins and Dunlap, the savings far exceed the dead money calculation. If the Bengals think Lawson is a better player than Dunlap, they can probably get him extended for the same amount they'd save by cutting Dunlap. Keeping Carlos in that situation would be a double error since it would mean letting the better player walk while overpaying the lesser player. 

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Dead money is irrelevant. It's far worse to keep someone around who can't play up to their contract than cut them and save money while giving someone else a chance. With both Atkins and Dunlap, the savings far exceed the dead money calculation. If the Bengals think Lawson is a better player than Dunlap, they can probably get him extended for the same amount they'd save by cutting Dunlap. Keeping Carlos in that situation would be a double error since it would mean letting the better player walk while overpaying the lesser player. 

What makes sense and how the Bengals like to treat players who they still owe money to are two completely different things.

But that's the point. The Bengals don't owe Atkins and Dunlap money beyond their salaries. The so called "dead money" is simply the amount of previously paid signing bonus that counts on the cap. It counts the same whether or not they are on the team. What changes is their annual pay if they are cut, the money is saved. If they are on the team, the money is earned (at least in theory). 

So the team needs to decide if Atkins and Dunlap are worth their high salaries. If not, they should be released or traded with the team spending the money elsewhere and trying to find replacements for them. 

Lil' Zac has done it now, he pissed off Wink.

“He knew what it was because it was awful quiet when I yelled it across the field,” Martindale said. “There are some people that take that as a victory. We’ll see. We'll have plenty to talk about the next time we play them.”

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/10/16/bengals-ravens-field-goal-don-martindale-comments

Wow...not only did Wink kick his ass, he called him out afterwards. Zac is looking a little soft here, just like his offense. 

Wink basically gave Taylor an atomic wedgie, took his lunch money, and gave him swirlie for good measure. Taylor has to step it up, you can't follow up the first win of the season with that dud of a performance that was basically shut out but save for a late game field goal. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Lil' Zac has done it now, he pissed off Wink.

“He knew what it was because it was awful quiet when I yelled it across the field,” Martindale said. “There are some people that take that as a victory. We’ll see. We'll have plenty to talk about the next time we play them.”

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/10/16/bengals-ravens-field-goal-don-martindale-comments

Wow...not only did Wink kick his ass, he called him out afterwards. Zac is looking a little soft here, just like his offense. 

Wink basically gave Taylor an atomic wedgie, took his lunch money, and gave him swirlie for good measure. Taylor has to step it up, you can't follow up the first win of the season with that dud of a performance that was basically shut out but save for a late game field goal. 

The only response to Wink should be "if you want the shutout, stop us".  If they were worthy of the shutout the Bengals wouldn't have been a 38-yard field goal away.  Just as much as they wanted the shutout as a "badge of pride", no team wants to get shut out and grant them that badge.  Too bad for Wink, hopefully you have some tears left the next time people don't roll over for you (even if they did for 98% of the game up to that point).

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

The only response to Wink should be "if you want the shutout, stop us".  If they were worthy of the shutout the Bengals wouldn't have been a 38-yard field goal away.  Just as much as they wanted the shutout as a "badge of pride", no team wants to get shut out and grant them that badge.  Too bad for Wink, hopefully you have some tears left the next time people don't roll over for you (even if they did for 98% of the game up to that point).

True, but the NFL coaches have a fraternity and code of conduct. This is the type of thing that might make it harder to recruit a quality assistant coach in the future.

Archived