Everything Zac Taylor...

I'm all for giving a guy a fair chance to prove himself, but I'm starting to think Zac is in over his head.

1.  Clock Management:  This isn't just after the 2 minute warning.  In every game this year, we've had the chance to bleed the clock before scoring late in a half, and EVERY time we score and the defense promptly gives up a score before the half and/or the end of the game.  We know how bad our D is, you have to protect them as much as possible.

2.  Burrow Management:  You can't put the entire game on the arm of a rookie QB.  Versus the Browns we didn't run the ball because we were constantly down by two scores.  Versus the Eagles, we were up in the 4th quarter and still didn't try to run the ball.  I know the line is terrible, but if the defense knows you're going to throw it, they can just tee off and our oline doesn't stand a chance. 

3.  Play calling.  Formation predictable.  You pretty much know it's a run when we have everyone bunched close to the line...the defense knows that as well and Mixon has zero room to run.  We need to try to run out of the spread a little more.  Spread the D out and hope at least 3 linemen don't get beat on the same play.  You can't have 8+ defenders near the line and expect anything good to happen in the running game.

4.  Personnel.  Yes, this falls on Duke Tobin too, but you can't go into the season with THIS offensive line.  Every single player got beat multiple times today...it may be the worst line in NFL history and that's not hyperbole.  

8 minutes ago, bigboi said:

Zimmer might be available after this season,should the Bengals make a run for him.

Absolutely, they should hire him as the GM/Coach and let him build the culture of the franchise.

Taylor was never qualified, he's never been a successful coach at any level.

What has Taylor won as a coach at any level?

It's hard to do anything when the Oline is crap.   The best QB in the world doesn't solve anything with a bad line.  Difficult to control the clock and also give the D a chance for a breather when the line is crap. 

Personnel issues are not necessarily on Tobin's head.  Unless we really believe he has the final say in these matters.  Debatable point but I find it hard to believe any person in their right mind would fail to address the line properly with an expensive new toy taking snaps.

Clock management is a coaching issue but not certain of what information he was looking at when the mismanagement happened.  Also don't know if another coach was in his ear.  He should be able to fix this.

In other words, Zac is not the only one in over his head.  There's certainly plenty of room for blame to be shared.  The Bengals don't just needs time to gel, they need time to grow several new pieces to place in the personnel scheme.  Include a short leash for every single position coach in there too. 

4 minutes ago, Numbers said:

It's hard to do anything when the Oline is crap.   The best QB in the world doesn't solve anything with a bad line.  Difficult to control the clock and also give the D a chance for a breather when the line is crap. 

Personnel issues are not necessarily on Tobin's head.  Unless we really believe he has the final say in these matters.  Debatable point but I find it hard to believe any person in their right mind would fail to address the line properly with an expensive new toy taking snaps.

Clock management is a coaching issue but not certain of what information he was looking at when the mismanagement happened.  Also don't know if another coach was in his ear.  He should be able to fix this.

In other words, Zac is not the only one in over his head.  There's certainly plenty of room for blame to be shared.  The Bengals don't just needs time to gel, they need time to grow several new pieces to place in the personnel scheme.  Include a short leash for every single position coach in there too. 

I agree it’s hard to do anything w/o a line, but throwing all the time doesn’t help because the d-line can just tee off.  Also, what about moving the pocket, or more screen passes?  There are things you can do to slow down the rush.   Hard counts, extra TEs, draw plays.  That stuff may not be super successful, but it will help slow the rush so Burrow has some time.  I agree it’s not all on Zac, but he’s the head and that’s where it starts.  Lou isn’t doing much better.

Bullock screwed up the ending of the first half by kicking it out of bounds is why they scored and the D allowing their RB to run for 20 yards on their first play.  A couple pass interference calls were a joke against us on their tying TD.  What happened to calling the ball not being able to be caught anymore?  Has that now gone out of this game? 

ah shit, we just need those magical coaches who can call the "it doesnt matter if everyone sucks, make the players do good" plays..

the entire nfl is sleeping on this system..

#lifehack #epicwin #blamethecoach

i bet he is holding the "just run the ball successfully, duh" play for later in the season..

17 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I agree it’s hard to do anything w/o a line, but throwing all the time doesn’t help because the d-line can just tee off.  Also, what about moving the pocket, or more screen passes?  There are things you can do to slow down the rush.   Hard counts, extra TEs, draw plays.  That stuff may not be super successful, but it will help slow the rush so Burrow has some time.  I agree it’s not all on Zac, but he’s the head and that’s where it starts.  Lou isn’t doing much better.

Well the o line coach is hand picked by the HC, so the o line is Taylor's mess as much as anyone. 

i know we were running for only 2.9 yards per carry. but thats with the buffer of 9 yards to end the game. so 16 runs for 40 yards. so 2.5 YPC for the game..

up 3 or even 7 isnt really time to try to run the ball for purpose. they can still stop it then too. 

sadly, the rookie qb is about the only chance we have. and tanking by running the ball isnt a great plan either. 

this team is lacking talent or starters in a bunch of areas. this is how its gonna go. id also rather not abuse burrow, i agree 100% on that point, but im not sure what all options there are.

clock management is the biggest fan bitching scapegoat in sports. you plan for a hopeful outcome and play timeouts and the clock accordingly.. if that plan fails, all the sudden you cant manage the clock... 

i sat in here for 15 fucking years listening to people bitch about clock management with marvin..... go to a cowboys forum youll see them bitch there. go to a browns forum its in there. ..

its nothing. 

until the team is good enough to get wins, the job of the staff is to improve players and get better while trying to win. i dont care if they cann all 3 timeout on the first drive of each half if it allows for a learning moment or prevents a bad play or whatever. 

this isnt a team on the prink of breaking through... a bunch of young, and or shitty players 3 games into a strange nfl season.

seems a bit extreme.

I made a thread on this same topic last year.

His play calling in the red zone is killing us.

Can someone tell me why no quick slants were not called in the red zone?

Our WRs are our strongest unit, and it was very obvious they had trouble covering Boyd and Higgins today.

The play Mike Thomas scored last week on the Browns, should have been called at least once.

Finally, why are we playing prevent in the last 30 seconds of the game?

Zone is not our strongest suite (hence, the missed coverage for the TD).

We should have been in man coverage the second Desean and Goebert left the game.

Even the announcer mentioned the defense plays better in man coverage.

The credo of this team for decades has been - there is always plenty of blame to pass around. 

The mere fact that they knew they were drafting an elite QB prospect and outright refused to fix the OL (hell over pay for a few years if you have too) is absurd and shows incompetence from top to bottom.  Now Zac Shula shows he can't play call and DC Lou is an Bud away from a classic comedy routine. Very sad

Meh, we spent spare change on an unproven coach and coaching staff and gave him one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  

We are a team full of possession receivers and a running back who has to create everything on his own.  We have no game breaker on offense other than Burrow. Heck, Gio might be the most explosive player on the team. 

We all know about the oline and I am afraid Jonah Williams isn’t going to be that pro bowl left tackle we thought he might be.   He does look serviceable at least.  Price is horrible. The #9 pick from the 2017 draft was a healthy scratch.  Brutal. 

12 hours ago, SmoothD said:

I made a thread on this same topic last year.

His play calling in the red zone is killing us.

Can someone tell me why no quick slants were not called in the red zone?

Our WRs are our strongest unit, and it was very obvious they had trouble covering Boyd and Higgins today.

The play Mike Thomas scored last week on the Browns, should have been called at least once.

Finally, why are we playing prevent in the last 30 seconds of the game?

Zone is not our strongest suite (hence, the missed coverage for the TD).

We should have been in man coverage the second Desean and Goebert left the game.

Even the announcer mentioned the defense plays better in man coverage.

The lack of slant passing has been driving me crazy. You could get quick strike highly successful pass routes that move the ball and protect Joe with a shitty line doing that, same with tight end peal offs.

If we are playing better in man vs zone, that imho is a coaching and not talent issue.

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The lack of slant passing has been driving me crazy. You could get quick strike highly successful pass routes that move the ball and protect Joe with a shitty line doing that, same with tight end peal offs.

If we are playing better in man vs zone, that imho is a coaching and not talent issue.

And this is why Teryl Austin was fired.

Not playing your players to their strengths.

As far as the passing game goes, it so simple it should be a superpower.

JB needs to stop waiting on routes to develop, because the line isn't going to give him enough time.

Kill them with slants.

Once the defense starts cheating or jumping on the slant routes, have the WRs go to double moves.

Tyler Boyd has this down to a science.

DBs covering him are always on their heels

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

They run slant routes....That's all AJ can run apparently.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, WRAPradio said:

2.  Burrow Management:  You can't put the entire game on the arm of a rookie QB.  Versus the Browns we didn't run the ball because we were constantly down by two scores.  Versus the Eagles, we were up in the 4th quarter and still didn't try to run the ball.  I know the line is terrible, but if the defense knows you're going to throw it, they can just tee off and our oline doesn't stand a chance. 

I've been harping on that point for so long I'd given up on it.   The team has been consistently pass-wacky for years so I can only assume it's by direction from the top.

Game after game the RB is an afterthought while we throw 40+ passes in a loss because "the OL is bad".   They can't pass block either so IDK why an incomplete pass is acceptable but a run for no gain means abandon the run game.  If the OL is breaking down anyway, wouldn't you rather the RB take those hits?

Anyway to answer the question, I'd say clearly YES he is..    Taylor is a good PR guy.   His highest position before here was OC for the Bearcats and he sucked ass at it.   He would've made more sense as an OC hire, but in hindsight I wouldn't want him there either.  

Archived