Joe Burrow Three Games In

I heard repeatedly before the season that 2020 was all about making sure Burrow was really "THE GUY".

Well, three games in and there is no question. He's good beyond all reasonable expectations. With even a smidgen of protection yesterday he carved up the field with 13 straight completions over two drives with balls into impossible windows at times. What might he do with protection for four quarters, rather than two drives? He's so goddamn good. My god he's good.

So that's the good news.

The bad news is...almost everything else. From the off-season commitment to running it back at o-line, to the weird scattershot play-calling and game-planning of ZT, to the hands around their own throat approach to playing defense in any spot that matters.

Those parts are all alarming to me because that is front office/coaching **** ups and i know this team is SLOW to correct problems there. Dave Shula got, like, infinity to fail. I have no confidence in ZT at this point because of his trust in coaches like Turner (who has failed everywhere) and the decisions that has resulted in at line.

But, Burrow. Holy god. To go 31 of 44 yesterday for 321 yards and throw 2 TDs to go with 0 INTs when he is being sacked 8 times and hit another 10 times - and when most of that happened AFTER the near career-ender shot he took that drew the flag, I mean, just...if that is Dalton each of the three games so far are blowout losses. Dalton couldn't remotely handle that kind of pressure. Which, frankly, isn't a shot at Dalton, most QBs can't. Only the really great ones can make a go of it under such circumstances. It's clear now, that's the trajectory for Burrow. If he doesn't die first.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I suspected Joe would be good.

I did not suspect he would be this good this quickly.

Which is depressing at how bad the rest of the team is.

Me neither. Part of why I am so pissed this AM. I figured this to a be a growing pains year while Burrow found his footing. Well, fuck that. They should be 2-1 behind Burrow right now, and arguably maybe 3-0 if the defense can get Burrow the ball back in the 4th quarter down 5 at Cleveland.

Burrow is good enough they should be winning games NOW. Literally, the team and coaching is holding him back from that. It is infuriating. 

58 minutes ago, membengal said:

Me neither. Part of why I am so pissed this AM. I figured this to a be a growing pains year while Burrow found his footing. Well, fuck that. They should be 2-1 behind Burrow right now, and arguably maybe 3-0 if the defense can get Burrow the ball back in the 4th quarter down 5 at Cleveland.

Burrow is good enough they should be winning games NOW. Literally, the team and coaching is holding him back from that. It is infuriating. 

That really is the sad thing. Even if you were to JUST improve the O-Line personnel and not even touch the Defense and the Coaching, we could still win some shootouts. You give Burrow (who has been even BETTER than advertised) a clean pocket and time to throw, he'd be slicing and dicing even more. Our point differential in three games is only like -8 or something like that.

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I suspected Joe would be good.

I did not suspect he would be this good this quickly.

Which is depressing at how bad the rest of the team is.

same here.. I thought he would be really good, but he's the best player on the team already.

I loved the pick, and love it even more now.. going to be a super star as long as this line doesn't get him murdered 

Apparently the team's plan for him is to let him get beat to a pulp and then draft another punching bag in a few years.   It keeps the fans happy and is MUCH easier than building a winning football team.  

And we wonder why people encouraged him to sit out the draft.

40 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Joe Burrow is a star already and he's only going to get better....my only complaint is he takes too many sacks. I know the offensive line blows but JB seems unwilling to throw the ball away when needed.

Mark of a QB that is trying to do too much because his team is not very good.

Although I do think he has gotten better about getting rid of the ball over the past few weeks.

No offense but LOL at blaming Burrow for these sacks.  Rationalize much?

Guarantee you he's already playing hurt.  If he keeps getting hit at this rate he's going to be on IR before the end of the year & who knows how he responds to that.

Borderline criminal what this team is doing with his talent.  I admit to being skeptical but after watching him against NFL defenses...  Absolutely insane that this FO is so risk-adverse that they'd rather Barry Sanders the guy.  If I were Burrow I'd already be scanning for the exits.

For what it's worth, according to PFF he was responsible for 5 of the 8 sacks by holding the ball too long. The viability of PFF's worth has been discussed ad nauseam so no need to get into that, just saying there is some differing viewpoints/analysis out there. Bottom line, the O-line is still an absolute embarrassment and they along with coaching and ownership should be ashamed.

I think if JB got rid of the ball any quicker, he'd be hitting guys in the back at the line of scrimmage.  :)

Honestly there were a couple times where he could have at least gotten rid of it, but as Jamie said, I think he's already desperate enough with lack of surrounding talent that he's trying to get blood from a rock.

9 hours ago, High School Harry said:

If Joe Burrow had anything CLOSE to a decent offensive line

Patrick Mahones would be nothing more than the answer to a trivia question.

Well hes in a class with Lemar Mahomes Watson as the next generation of great ones imo..

Probably should have added Josh Allen and Kyler Murray ..not just yet though..

Archived