Bengals -3 vs. Jaguars

Waiting for my flight - a few quick additional thoughts :

I was in the north end zone 11 rows off the field - so a new vantage point for me. The second and fourth quarters when bengals were on offense i had as close to burrow’s vantage point on throws as I will ever get, and, damn. I have zero idea how he sees some of the windows he sees. There were five or six passes that he threw that I had time to think “where in the hell is he throwing it” and each time he competed a ball. He may be a wizard. The one in particular that sticks out was the 23-yarder to Higgins in the 4th. He. Was. Not. Open.  Just an unreal throw.

a few other things:

—-I really now fear that AJ is cooked. The play in the first quarter where burrow rolled away from pressure and waved AJ downfield was coming at me - the old AJ makes that play but I could immediately see when Burrow waved him to get deep and AJ planted to go that there was no burst. None. I hope that it is still coming back, but that was rough to watch live as close to it as I was.

—-the two Mixon 3rd quarter TD came at my end zone - on the second of them, the run up the middle, it looked like Redmond did a really good job sealing off his man and giving Joe the hole. It was like the Red Sea parting from where I was.

—-thought the holding call to negate the Boyd TD was weak. Especially because on series before that Dunlap was dragged down right in front of us and the damn ref and he swallowed the flag while Jax converted a long third down. They also replayed the Lawson personal foul flag in the stadium and that was a fucking joke of a call. If refs were simply competent we blow them out in the first half.

—-it is weird watching burrow live. He’s so in control, so calm , I’ve never seen anything quite like it in cincy. At least not four games in to a career. He’s an absolute superstar coming.

—-I didn’t see him really miss on any deep throws he should have connected on. The receivers are simply not open. Very little separation deep to connect on the ones yesterday.

—-hell, not a fuckton of separation on a lot of the intermediate passes either. Burrow is so damn accurate. If this was Dalton...yeesh. 

that’s most of what is at the top of my head this AM. 

57 minutes ago, membengal said:

Waiting for my flight - a few quick additional thoughts :

I was in the north end zone 11 rows off the field - so a new vantage point for me. The second and fourth quarters when bengals were on offense i had as close to burrow’s vantage point on throws as I will ever get, and, damn. I have zero idea how he sees some of the windows he sees. There were five or six passes that he threw that I had time to think “where in the hell is he throwing it” and each time he competed a ball. He may be a wizard. The one in particular that sticks out was the 23-yarder to Higgins in the 4th. He. Was. Not. Open.  Just an unreal throw.

a few other things:

—-I really now fear that AJ is cooked. The play in the first quarter where burrow rolled away from pressure and waved AJ downfield was coming at me - the old AJ makes that play but I could immediately see when Burrow waved him to get deep and AJ planted to go that there was no burst. None. I hope that it is still coming back, but that was rough to watch live as close to it as I was.

—-the two Mixon 3rd quarter TD came at my end zone - on the second of them, the run up the middle, it looked like Redmond did a really good job sealing off his man and giving Joe the hole. It was like the Red Sea parting from where I was.

—-thought the holding call to negate the Boyd TD was weak. Especially because on series before that Dunlap was dragged down right in front of us and the damn ref and he swallowed the flag while Jax converted a long third down. They also replayed the Lawson personal foul flag in the stadium and that was a fucking joke of a call. If refs were simply competent we blow them out in the first half.

—-it is weird watching burrow live. He’s so in control, so calm , I’ve never seen anything quite like it in cincy. At least not four games in to a career. He’s an absolute superstar coming.

—-I didn’t see him really miss on any deep throws he should have connected on. The receivers are simply not open. Very little separation deep to connect on the ones yesterday.

—-hell, not a fuckton of separation on a lot of the intermediate passes either. Burrow is so damn accurate. If this was Dalton...yeesh. 

that’s most of what is at the top of my head this AM. 

Tks for sharing...

1 hour ago, membengal said:

-I really now fear that AJ is cooked. The play in the first quarter where burrow rolled away from pressure and waved AJ downfield was coming at me - the old AJ makes that play but I could immediately see when Burrow waved him to get deep and AJ planted to go that there was no burst. None. I hope that it is still coming back, but that was rough to watch live as close to it as I was.

When he runs it looks like his feet are not flexible if that makes sense. If we recall all the 'talk' in TC, how good he looked, great shape he was in - I don't doubt he has done all he can to get in shape so that would mean he simply has lost it. 

1 minute ago, palmer4mvp said:

I’m not ready to give up on AJ just yet. Seeing game action for the first time in almost 2 years in a new offense with a new QB. If no results midway through the season, I could see the end is near. 

Bottom line is...hes slow now..

Hes not getting faster...

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

When he runs it looks like his feet are not flexible if that makes sense. If we recall all the 'talk' in TC, how good he looked, great shape he was in - I don't doubt he has done all he can to get in shape so that would mean he simply has lost it. 

Well the foot thing is interesting -because maybe that explains the lack of burst when he dug his feet into to go on that.

by the way, if you listen to the Walkout from Dehner and Morrison pod - they saw and commented on the same thing on the same play. If you were in the stadium, it was glaring. 

4 hours ago, palmer4mvp said:

I’m not ready to give up on AJ just yet. Seeing game action for the first time in almost 2 years in a new offense with a new QB. If no results midway through the season, I could see the end is near. 

I'm with you on AJ.  Let's see where he is at week 10.  No OTA's and no preseason have me thinking he's working back in, plus most teams are still putting their best CB on him.  Now, I'll blow some smaller minds, and say I agree that the Ross Experiment should be done.  Higgins has 90% of the speed, and a much better set of hands.  Plus, Height!!  

2 hours ago, kennethmw said:

I'm with you on AJ.  Let's see where he is at week 10.  No OTA's and no preseason have me thinking he's working back in, plus most teams are still putting their best CB on him.  Now, I'll blow some smaller minds, and say I agree that the Ross Experiment should be done.  Higgins has 90% of the speed, and a much better set of hands.  Plus, Height!!  

At week 10?..

Hell why not week 12 then..

You know hes slow now..

Hes not getting faster and time waits for noone..

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

At week 10?..

You know hes slow now..

That's the Preseason we just completed, plus 6 games.  And if I'm right, he's coming off a hamstring injury.  It takes a while to get those fast twitch muscles back. 

21 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

At week 10?..

You know hes slow now..

AJ is under contract and he should be given a chance to perform.  If he can’t the Bengals have players ready to step in. I certainly have my doubts about him at this point. 

11 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

That's the Preseason we just completed, plus 6 games.  And if I'm right, he's coming off a hamstring injury.  It takes a while to get those fast twitch muscles back. 

I love your loyalty to A,J...

Damn hes been a good one for this decade..

Im pullin for him if no other reason you believe so much..

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I love your loyalty to A,J...

Damn hes been a good one for this decade..

Im pullin for him if no other reason you believe so much..

Part of that is because AJ believes in us. He would like to retire as a Bengal, and I respect that.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

5. JONAH WILLIAMS IS TURNING OUT TO BE A BRIGHT SPOT ON THE CINCINNATI BENGALS’ POROUS OFFENSIVE LINE WHILE JOE BURROW CONTINUES TO PLAY LIKE A TOP-10 QUARTERBACK

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-4-pff-team-of-the-week-key-takeaways-weekly-awards-and-more

The whole article is an interesting read. [I acknowledge that PFF’s grading systems are somewhat subjective and may not be very accurate.]

Edit: I should have added that Bates was on their defensive team of the week.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

5. JONAH WILLIAMS IS TURNING OUT TO BE A BRIGHT SPOT ON THE CINCINNATI BENGALS’ POROUS OFFENSIVE LINE WHILE JOE BURROW CONTINUES TO PLAY LIKE A TOP-10 QUARTERBACK

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-4-pff-team-of-the-week-key-takeaways-weekly-awards-and-more

good read. one part i couldn't help but notice...

7. SOON-TO-BE 39-YEAR-OLD ANDREW WHITWORTH IS STILL ONE OF THE LEAGUE’S BEST PASS-PROTECTORS

😢

21 hours ago, membengal said:

Well the foot thing is interesting -because maybe that explains the lack of burst when he dug his feet into to go on that.

by the way, if you listen to the Walkout from Dehner and Morrison pod - they saw and commented on the same thing on the same play. If you were in the stadium, it was glaring. 

Really glad you had a great time.

We did, too.

Like your input and insight.  Perceptive and spot on.

Question for you,

Do you think Junior Sample looked like Randy Bullock when he was running down the field?

I thought he did, no kidding.

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Part of that is because AJ believes in us. He would like to retire as a Bengal, and I respect that.

Today I am thinking:  For many years we would all say "If only AJ had a more accurate QB to play with", now he has it but we are saying "If only JB had another WR who could get open to play with"

Archived