2021 WR Room

A quarter of the way though the season, and it looks like both AJ and John Ross will be moving on.  This isn't a bad thing.  As much as I love AJ, we can't affort to pay him and expect to improve the rest of the team.  Freeing up his money and Ross' money will allow us to spend on the D line and D line.  Below are the top-10 teams in terms of spending for WRs.  I don't think you should be in the top-10 b/c as the Patriots have shown, you don't need great receivers to win.  Think about it, who's the last great WR to actually win a SB?  Granted, The Chiefs are #1 in spending, but they also have a generational QB.  If we go into next season with Boyd,  Higgins, Tate and Erickson, we'll be OK.  Maybe Stanley Morgan will make some noise, but we'll need a guy that can take the top off of a defense.  Hopefully we can find that guy on the 2nd day of the draft.

image.png.468746f49f9a47452e1b93f1b478c3ee.png

40 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I assume you meant D Line and O Line. 

We also need to look at Dunlap, he is now far overpaid for his meager production. 

We dont need another top 5 or top 10 WR - we have Higgins and Boyd - as noted in other forums we need some speed and that can come in mid rounds of draft

I did mean D and O lines. 

Here's the D-line spend -- we're putting a lot of money here too and not getting good results.

image.png.48eb871d52453ebc3e6d09415e463fdf.png

image.thumb.png.31ee49f96685f7ed08e642a025c0169d.png

11 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

What about tight end?  If Sample looks mediocre, I think it would be dangerous to rely upon a TE coming back from an Achilles injury.  Think of how good a healthy version of Eifert would be with Burrow.

TE is an issue with Uzumah out.  Sample has been decent, but is getting a lot of work. TEs take a beating on the line and in the middle of the field. Bengals are way thin there. Hope Sample holds up all season. 

It's unfortunate but, every sign points to AJ Green being done and even if he's not, you do not bring him back. The WR Room pointed out by the OP is more than competitive. Sure, you want to add a burner, go ahead but I am not even convinced this is necessary.

TE will need to be addressed. Burrow likes to throw inside and a competent TE will be needed.

I'm not ready to write big Carlos off quite yet but, it's looking like he's not able to get to the QB this year. The Bengals could pick up more than $11 million on the cap by cutting him before next season. I can't say it's out of the question.

We all know, they have to do everything to give this kid the tools and opportunity he needs. He's that good. Build him a line and get him guys who can consistently catch the ball and he's going to be dynamic.

It's going to be scary this year when teams move their best CB over to Boyd once they figure out if AJ is washed or not.  Hopefully, AJ can take advantage of not having the coverage always rolled towards him; that's probably something he's never seen in his career.

If they're picking top 5 and have managed to address the OL in FA, then give me Micah Parsons all day long.

If they're picking a little later, like 10-12 range, I'd love a guy like Pitts....a gamebreaker with TE size.

Bengals are currently 37 mil under the projected 175 mil cap for 2021. If they cut Hart, Dunlap, Atkins, Uzomah,  and Bernard, they could be 73 mil under. That's enough to add a couple of probowlers to each side of the ball plus fill out the roster. The team won't go exclusively outside for free agents. WJ3 and maybe Lawson will be re-signed. 

Right now we look like a better team than the Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins. So we won't be in the top 5 but might be in the top 10.

31 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals are currently 37 mil under the projected 175 mil cap for 2021. If they cut Hart, Dunlap, Atkins, Uzomah,  and Bernard, they could be 73 mil under. That's enough to add a couple of probowlers to each side of the ball plus fill out the roster. The team won't go exclusively outside for free agents. WJ3 and maybe Lawson will be re-signed. 

Right now we look like a better team than the Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins. So we won't be in the top 5 but might be in the top 10.

Im feeling top ten right now..

That could change dramatically.

Question...

Whos replacing Dunlao Geno and Uzamah?

27 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Im feeling top ten right now..

That could change dramatically.

Question...

Whos replacing Dunlao Geno and Uzamah?

Literally anyone.

I have the same number of tackles as Geno this year.  I'll take league minimum.

I have one fewer TFL than Dunlap.

And who knows if Uzamah ever comes back 100%.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

If they're picking top 5 and have managed to address the OL in FA, then give me Micah Parsons all day long.

If they're picking a little later, like 10-12 range, I'd love a guy like Pitts....a gamebreaker with TE size.

Top 5 you sprint to the podium and take the LT out of Oregon, Penei Sewll and don’t think twice about it.

They’re not picking top 3....sorry. 
The first 3 picks will be set in stone when it’s all said and done....Lawrence, Fields, Sewell...in no particular order.

Micah Parsons would be a no-brainer after those 3. 

7 hours ago, tibor75 said:

What about tight end?  If Sample looks mediocre, I think it would be dangerous to rely upon a TE coming back from an Achilles injury.  Think of how good a healthy version of Eifert would be with Burrow.

Sample does not look mediocre ..

He looks average after the first quarter of games..

Hes improving slowly game after game imo...

They will need a backup to him.

Do you have an opinion Uzamah back next year?

3 hours ago, mgbrown66 said:

Literally anyone.

I have the same number of tackles as Geno this year.  I'll take league minimum.

I have one fewer TFL than Dunlap.

And who knows if Uzamah ever comes back 100%.

My guess is that it they played you every down, you'd still have the same number of tackles as Geno, even if he didn't play all season.

6 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

It's going to be scary this year when teams move their best CB over to Boyd once they figure out if AJ is washed or not.  Hopefully, AJ can take advantage of not having the coverage always rolled towards him; that's probably something he's never seen in his career.

No he hasnt..

Until now..

Hell they know his initial takeoff is 

bad now..he cant seperate even in 

short passes on aslant..

Give the s snaps to Auden Tate for no other reason than his a seasoned vet that knows the systems bigger stronger and faster than Green now..

But theyll wait....

Of course they will..

36 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

My guess is that it they played you every down, you'd still have the same number of tackles as Geno, even if he didn't play all season.

I call bullshit,  there is no way he plays every down.  I guess one series max. 

We’ve referenced a few different NextGen Stats when trying to really track the issues you’re seeing with A.J. Green not being able to show the same explosiveness as earlier points in his career. The most notable was a significant decrease in his top overall speed from 2018 to this season.

So much of this comes back to separation, though. Or the lack of it.

NextGen also tracks separation at both the time of the throw and time of catch.

There are 42 receivers with at least 25 targets so far this season.

Green ranks last in both separation categories among those 42.

Separation at time of throw

• Green, Cincinnati: 2.36
• Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Green Bay: 2.43
• Darius Slayton, New York Giants: 2.49
• Allen Robinson, Chicago: 2.58
• DeVante Parker, Miami: 2.60

Separation at time of catch

• Green, Cincinnati: 1.29
• Darius Slayton, NYG: 2.38
• Stefon Diggs, Buffalo: 1.58
• D.J. Moore, Carolina: 1.81
• DeVante Parker, Miami: 1.81

Those numbers are alarming enough when you consider the lack of separation from Green. Then take into consideration the regression in those statistics since NextGen started tracking back in the 2016 season. Green has steadily been forced to make more and more difficult receptions as he continues to struggle to get away from defenders.

17 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We’ve referenced a few different NextGen Stats when trying to really track the issues you’re seeing with A.J. Green not being able to show the same explosiveness as earlier points in his career. The most notable was a significant decrease in his top overall speed from 2018 to this season.

So much of this comes back to separation, though. Or the lack of it.

NextGen also tracks separation at both the time of the throw and time of catch.

There are 42 receivers with at least 25 targets so far this season.

Green ranks last in both separation categories among those 42.

Separation at time of throw

• Green, Cincinnati: 2.36
• Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Green Bay: 2.43
• Darius Slayton, New York Giants: 2.49
• Allen Robinson, Chicago: 2.58
• DeVante Parker, Miami: 2.60

Separation at time of catch

• Green, Cincinnati: 1.29
• Darius Slayton, NYG: 2.38
• Stefon Diggs, Buffalo: 1.58
• D.J. Moore, Carolina: 1.81
• DeVante Parker, Miami: 1.81

Those numbers are alarming enough when you consider the lack of separation from Green. Then take into consideration the regression in those statistics since NextGen started tracking back in the 2016 season. Green has steadily been forced to make more and more difficult receptions as he continues to struggle to get away from defenders.

The Bengals know all this.  In training camp, and probably practice too, they all wear vests that monitor their speed, heart rate, respiration rate, etc. 

On 10/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, sparky151 said:

It's far too early to start projecting salary caps. C19 and little to no attendance will cut the salary cap bigtime unless a deal is struck with the players

3 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

It's far too early to start projecting salary caps. C19 and little to no attendance will cut the salary cap bigtime unless a deal is struck with the players

The deal has already been struck. The cap won't go below 175 mil for 2021 and if the reduction to that still leaves more money to debit, it will go to 2022 and future years as needed. If the whole season is played in 2020, then the teams are out ticket revenue along with parking, concessions, and merch sales. But the tv contacts will pay out which is the league's biggest revenue source. So the 175 mil cap drop should cover losses thus far. 

Archived