Bengals +13 at Baltimore

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

I disagree.  If he's a leader he should be stepping up to say he has to play better and confirm (like most others do) that no job is guaranteed and performance is the only thing that matters.  Run D isn't getting it done, time to step up and say you have to do better, not whine that you're getting called out.  The guy is the third-highest paid guy on the team ffs, does anyone think he's playing up to that this year?  Hell, what if they're just keeping him fresh for passing downs?  As far as I'm concerned that's not a bad idea.  You can argue that he "obviously didn't know that" but all *we* know is he's whining that he "apparently isn't making enough tackles in the run game".  That's *true*!  Look at it as a challenge, look at is a chance to destroy the other team's passing game, but don't cry like you're a prima donna, AT LEAST not in public.

this

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If Dunlap deserves to sit - not saying he doesn't - but if he does, so does AJ.

I would agree with you except for one thing - nobody's double-teaming Carlos.  For better or worse, teams still haven't figured out they don't need to double AJ, and for that reason alone he's worth having out there.

7 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I would agree with you except for one thing - nobody's double-teaming Carlos.  For better or worse, teams still haven't figured out they don't need to double AJ, and for that reason alone he's worth having out there.

Or at least put their best CB on him.  AJ being out there makes it easier on Boyd and Higgins.

7 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Are they? I'll have to focus on him more because what I've seen is single coverage straight outplaying him for the ball. 

I'm convinced AJ mentally checked out a while ago.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Are they? I'll have to focus on him more because what I've seen is single coverage straight outplaying him for the ball. 

The difference between Dunlop and AJ is who they have to replace him.  Hubbard and Lawson vs. Tate.  I think that may be the difference. 

I do not wish ill on anyone but

If Lamar Jackson goes down Baltimore is

pretty much fucked.  Law of averages bound

to catch up with him sometime.

Bo Jackson's football career was ended by a meh and forgettable

Bengal linebacker.

I would take Bengals +13 if I could get it.

As an afterthought, I would activate John Ross and put him on

the field in multiple receiver sets as a fast albeit erratic guy

who must be accounted for.

Deactivate Ericson.  He isn't doing much for the team.

I don't have an issue with Zac playing the best players. ML played his guys. Even the lesser ones. I remember Rex sitting while Hill ran for 2 ypc. So we are getting what we want.

Having said that, you don't just off handedly demote a stalwart player who has produced a long time without giving him the respect of a sit down and an explanation. It could be they want him to get less reps so he can play more effectively in situations where his abilities better suit the situation. I have met Carlos. I go to a lot of Bengals functions. He seemed a pretty reasonably person in out brief but cordial talks. If that was explained to him I doubt he would have had a big issue with it. Players yearn for respect. You cannot allow this to become a concern for the rest of the locker room. You need confident players and you cannot have them looking over their shoulders waiting for the hammer to fall. That does not improve performance and can diminish it.  

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I do not wish ill on anyone but

If Lamar Jackson goes down Baltimore is

pretty much fucked.  Law of averages bound

to catch up with him sometime.

Bo Jackson's football career was ended by a meh and forgettable

Bengal linebacker.

I would take Bengals +13 if I could get it.

As an afterthought, I would activate John Ross and put him on

the field in multiple receiver sets as a fast albeit erratic guy

who must be accounted for.

Deactivate Ericson.  He isn't doing much for the team.

Ericson has done more for the team than Ross has or can. Ericson is a solid if not stellar player. You cannot say the same for Ross. He is neither solid or stellar.  He plays scared.  Ericson does not have Ross' physical talent but he gives 100% effort every play. You can't say that about Ross either.  

Ericson is a reliable and good punt returner.  Do you really want brittle and fumble prone John Ross returning punts in crucial situations?

John Ross has been deactivated because he has terrible hands.  And you want him returning punts?

Ericson is the kind of guy that Bill Belichik loves.  He's reliable and does his JOB.

27 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

I don't have an issue with Zac playing the best players. ML played his guys. Even the lesser ones. I remember Rex sitting while Hill ran for 2 ypc. So we are getting what we want.

Having said that, you don't just off handedly demote a stalwart player who has produced a long time without giving him the respect of a sit down and an explanation. It could be they want him to get less reps so he can play more effectively in situations where his abilities better suit the situation. I have met Carlos. I go to a lot of Bengals functions. He seemed a pretty reasonably person in out brief but cordial talks. If that was explained to him I doubt he would have had a big issue with it. Players yearn for respect. You cannot allow this to become a concern for the rest of the locker room. You need confident players and you cannot have them looking over their shoulders waiting for the hammer to fall. That does not improve performance and can diminish it.  

What makes you think they didn't give him a sit down and explanation?  Dunlop said in his presser that "evidently I didn't make enough tackles in the run game."  Sounds like they gave him a reason. 

Most of us have noticed the drop off in Dunlop's game.  If he hasn't noticed that's part of the problem. 

I doubt that Von Bell  or Josh Bynes give a damn about Carlos Dunlop's experience or leadership.  The Bengals have been a joke to a team like the Ravens for years.  Dunlop is part of that joke.  I can see how old guys like Atkins and Dunlop expecting to do things the way they have always done them can be a problem to a couple guys who know how to win.  If the expectation is a higher level of performance, and how could it not be, Atkins and Dunlop need to get with the program or get out. 

23 hours ago, JungleJohn said:

For me this is a learning/16 game pre-season. Play hard. Learn. Get experience. Win as much as you can and make teams work hard for the win. Beat Baltimore? Not impossible but not likely. This is all about fine tuning the roster and learning what pieces we need to add in the next off season and getting them. IMO RT and RT along with a DT and another tall fast WR are the prime candidates. Next year I expect us to be real contenders. Yea, I know we always say wait til next year  but I am in my 70's and have been a NFL and Bengals fan for 60 of those years except for the Vietnam multiple tours in the late 60" and I cannot a remember a time when next season seems so promising as now. I loved Kenny but I think we are looking at the best QB in Bengals history start his career and QB is the key. The better the QB - the better the team if the team builds around him. To me Burrow is the second coming of Joe Montana. We will be SB bound and I hope I survive to see it.  

Awesome post, man...I feel the same way about the future of Bengals football with Joe Burrow leading the way. He's kind of an amalgam of Joe Montana (smarts and accuracy) and Brett Favre (athleticism and creativity) and is going to win a shit-load of games if the front office just helps him out and provides what is needed. It's gonna be an exciting next 12-15 years, We've only won 1 game this year and I can't remember when I enjoyed a season more. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Or at least put their best CB on him.  AJ being out there makes it easier on Boyd and Higgins.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

As Jason said, they do also put their best on him.  Hell, Casey Heyward got Defensive Player of the Week or whatever for "shutting down" old-man rust-bucket AJ.  

55 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Awesome post, man...I feel the same way about the future of Bengals football with Joe Burrow leading the way. He's kind of an amalgam of Joe Montana (smarts and accuracy) and Brett Favre (athleticism and creativity) and is going to win a shit-load of games if the front office just helps him out and provides what is needed. It's gonna be an exciting next 12-15 years, We've only won 1 game this year and I can't remember when I enjoyed a season more. 

Im on board with you..

Cut these older players with huge contracts ..

Build the best oline in years for JB and 

watch this offense explode..

Archived