Bengals +13 at Baltimore

14 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

First of all you were right about the coaching staff not sitting Dunlop down and letting him know.  I didn’t see that until the link to the Athletic article.  My bad.  

On the other hand spare me your preaching.  I am not young and cannot play many sports as I used to just like you.  The difference is we were never professionals.  At least I was not.  Maybe you were.  Professionals should know their time will come. Dunlop acting like he hasn’t slipped is either arrogance or ignorance.  Probably some of both.  He deserved a meeting, but he also needs to man up and support the team or get out.  He makes an insane amount of money and that comes with expectations.  Expectations of performance.  It’s about winning.  Understandably, Dunlop struggles with that because he’s played for the Bengals his entire career.  Time to learn or retire. 

Sorry. I didn't mean to tweak your nads man.  I will only say I assumed you were younger. I am in my mid 70s so just playing the averages I assumed you were younger than me and likely considerably younger.

I get that they get paid big money to perform. I get that they need to recognize the end of their career is near and come to accept it. I do. But money does not erase your humanity. The still have to accept that what they have done and placed as the center point of their lives, their main reason for their existence other than family is soon to be gone. Megatron retired in his prime but he readily admitted that football was just a job to him and not a real passion. For others is is and they have feelings too as well as the ego that drove them to be as good as they became. All I would have you at least consider is that just because he is a rich athlete that doesn't mean he isn't like a normal person with all of the strength and weaknesses we all have. It is hard walking away from something you really love even if you know it is coming. In fact the period when you are seeing it come can the be hardest time.  Maybe it is because I have met him and talked with him several times and I see him as a person as well as a player. 

53 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

Sorry. I didn't mean to tweak your nads man.  I will only say I assumed you were younger. I am in my mid 70s so just playing the averages I assumed you were younger than me and likely considerably younger.

I get that they get paid big money to perform. I get that they need to recognize the end of their career is near and come to accept it. I do. But money does not erase your humanity. The still have to accept that what they have done and placed as the center point of their lives, their main reason for their existence other than family is soon to be gone. Megatron retired in his prime but he readily admitted that football was just a job to him and not a real passion. For others is is and they have feelings too as well as the ego that drove them to be as good as they became. All I would have you at least consider is that just because he is a rich athlete that doesn't mean he isn't like a normal person with all of the strength and weaknesses we all have. It is hard walking away from something you really love even if you know it is coming. In fact the period when you are seeing it come can the be hardest time.  Maybe it is because I have met him and talked with him several times and I see him as a person as well as a player. 

When Dunlop runs his mouth he's not just tweaking the coaches, he's hurting his teammates by making a fuss.  I agree they should have sat down with a vet like Dunlop, but he just compounded the problem by going to the press.  It's selfish. 

If I were Taylor and staff I would give him a one time pass and ignore it.  Just keep moving on.  If Dunlop continues to run his mouth he might need a talking to and possibly deactivated.  If you want to win it has to be as a team.  Everyone on that team is human, but they all need to be going in the same direction.  No time for one guy making it about himself.  A professional athlete's time to be selfish is during contract negotiations and that's about it.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

When Dunlop runs his mouth he's not just tweaking the coaches, he's hurting his teammates by making a fuss.  I agree they should have sat down with a vet like Dunlop, but he just compounded the problem by going to the press.  It's selfish. 

If I were Taylor and staff I would give him a one time pass and ignore it.  Just keep moving on.  If Dunlop continues to run his mouth he might need a talking to and possibly deactivated.  If you want to win it has to be as a team.  Everyone on that team is human, but they all need to be going in the same direction.  No time for one guy making it about himself.  A professional athlete's time to be selfish is during contract negotiations and that's about it.

Carlos is a good guy, a good team mate and a loyal person. He is all about team. I think his response is normal and blown out of proportion.   

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I think he and the other players learned that Taylor wants production..

If not your gonna be toast soon..

Hes given Dunlap the chance to focus all his energy on rushing the passer..

It may prolong his career at this stage..

See, that all makes sense, but why do it in a way that makes a solid vet feel disrespected? 

I feel like Taylor is doing a mediocre imitation of a hard-ass old school coach only with none of the history to back it up.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:56 AM, UncleEarl said:

What makes you think they didn't give him a sit down and explanation?  Dunlop said in his presser that "evidently I didn't make enough tackles in the run game."  Sounds like they gave him a reason. 

Most of us have noticed the drop off in Dunlop's game.  If he hasn't noticed that's part of the problem. 

I doubt that Von Bell  or Josh Bynes give a damn about Carlos Dunlop's experience or leadership.  The Bengals have been a joke to a team like the Ravens for years.  Dunlop is part of that joke.  I can see how old guys like Atkins and Dunlop expecting to do things the way they have always done them can be a problem to a couple guys who know how to win.  If the expectation is a higher level of performance, and how could it not be, Atkins and Dunlop need to get with the program or get out. 

I don't think you put Carlos and Geno in the same effort category.

Hope to see Geno at his age on Sunday showing Carlos how to play the game.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, T-Dub said:

I don't think he's entirely worn out.  To me it looks like a lack of effort.

Interesting...what particular plays are you basing this on? Not good either way but I don't see AJ as a player who would take plays off. I just think he's not the player he was or who may not be valuable moving forward.

2 hours ago, saphead said:

2-2 would sure feel good right now. Damn that stupid fucking tie. 

It is particularly sad to think we could be 3-1. We were close. We had the momentum in the Chargers game. I don't blame Randy. If he cramped it is just a bad deal for us and even more for him.  The Browns loss was a legit loss. We couldn't stop Chubb just like the Jags couldn't stop Mixon. I also think a more aggressive game plan could have made the difference in the Eagles game.  At 3-1 the season would have a much different look right now. Games can turn on the smallest things.

10 hours ago, JungleJohn said:

Games can turn on the smallest things.

Which is exactly why we've got a chance this game. It's going to take getting lucky here and there with turnovers and a couple of those controversial ref calls...Joe will do the rest.

13 hours ago, saphead said:

2-2 would sure feel good right now. Damn that stupid fucking tie. 

2-2 is what I predicted to start off the season.  It gets significantly more difficult going forward. The Browns being somewhat decent doesn’t help. 1-6-1 before the bye is a real possibility.  After that a little stretch of winnable games. 

Unless this team figures out a way to generate a pass rush,  it could get ugly. And no, the Jacksonville stats should not convince you.  At least Joe B will get to throw the ball a lot. 

11 hours ago, JungleJohn said:

It is particularly sad to think we could be 3-1. We were close. We had the momentum in the Chargers game. I don't blame Randy. If he cramped it is just a bad deal for us and even more for him.  The Browns loss was a legit loss. We couldn't stop Chubb just like the Jags couldn't stop Mixon. I also think a more aggressive game plan could have made the difference in the Eagles game.  At 3-1 the season would have a much different look right now. Games can turn on the smallest things.

Yes and this team under Zac Shula have not been good at doing those little things. In fact this has been a significant issue for decades. Doing the small things is part of accountability 

15 minutes ago, Griever said:

I like Phillips in the slot better than outside..

Sims has the outside now..

Fellin good about the dbacks..

Hoping someone (anyone) wont let TE Mark Andrews kill us on third downs..

Sounds like hes a lil banged up for todays game..

Archived