Dunlap Demoted

He’s not being benched. He’s not being made inactive. He’s just not starting because Lawson is way out-producing him and this puts less wear and tear on Dunlap so each play he is in he can give maximum effort rather than taking plays off. 

24 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s not being benched. He’s not being made inactive. He’s just not starting because Lawson is way out-producing him and this puts less wear and tear on Dunlap so each play he is in he can give maximum effort rather than taking plays off. 

Agree..

Could be that his lack of sealing the edge and missing tackles there is another factor..

Lets see how Hubbard holds up at his spot..

And....Lawson is the RDE for now..

He earned it no?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-demotion-depth-chart

I think Lou is now at risk of losing the Defense

Is Dunlop really a leader?  Does he lead the right way?  Years of a shitty defense with him as a leader suggest other wise.  New guys like Bell and Byrnes were brought here to create a winning culture.  Not sure Dunlop know much about that and his response confirms it. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-demotion-depth-chart

I think Lou is now at risk of losing the Defense

Why?..

A poster in that article said..

Theyre movin on from Marvins crew...

Only thing the players are thinking is uo the deoth chart as each if these older ones go by the wayside..

Dunlap Adkins Green Shaun Williams

Gio are on on that list now..

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Why?..

A poster in that article said..

Theyre movin on from Marvins crew...

Only thing the players are thinking is uo the deoth chart as each if these older ones go by the wayside..

Dunlap Adkins Green Shaun Williams

Gio are on on that list now..

Time don’t give a shit. Father Time is like The Honey Badger. 

image.jpeg

42 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Demoting him is not the real issue, they should have spoken to him about it first. If he is still pissed then that is his issue but the coaches should have let him know man to man.

They spoke to him today.  What were they supposed to do?  Talk to him last week and say well, maybe if you don't play better we might not start you, OK?  Please.  Be a man.  If he is so dense that he doesn't understand that he was not getting it done that is part of the problem.  Stretches of playing half-assed may have been acceptable under the Lewis regime.  I haven't liked a lot I have seen from this coaching staff, but count this as one move I do like. 

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

They spoke to him today.  What were they supposed to do?  Talk to him last week and say well, maybe if you don't play better we might not start you, OK?  Please.  Be a man.  If he is so dense that he doesn't understand that he was not getting it done that is part of the problem.  Stretches of playing half-assed may have been acceptable under the Lewis regime.  I haven't liked a lot I have seen from this coaching staff, but count this as one move I do like. 

A veteran who has performed to a high level for years deserves a meeting and a conversation about it. It is simple a matter of showing respect. It very well could have been in Carlos' best interest having a younger guy who is playing solidly get more reps and allowing an older player more rest so he can play at a higher level in the sight situations. Remember Hard Knocks where Zimmer had a meeting with a player (can't remember who. Frostee Rucker?) and had an earnest discussion with him? Maybe the reporting is not spot on and they did but it seems they didn't. The HC and DC are the bosses but they need to show respect to their players or they will lose them. They cannot act like dictators. This can create issues within the locker room. A cohesive locker room can be a fragile thing.

https://theathletic.com/2125799/2020/10/08/carlos-dunlap-calls-out-coaches-vents-over-second-demotion-of-the-season/

Carlos Dunlap calls out coaches, vents over second demotion of the season

By Jay Morrison Oct 8, 2020 42 

CINCINNATI — If the Bengals were hoping to hit the Ravens with the element of surprise, defensive end Carlos Dunlap ruined that — and maybe more — Thursday afternoon when he walked into a Zoom interview and spilled the game plan while venting his frustration.

“They’re pulling these pieces together, and I just learned some new pieces today,” Dunlap said when asked about the plan for the Ravens. “It sounds like it’s not going to be me in there. I think we’ve got a good game plan, but I would like to be a part of it.”

Dunlap has started each of the last 88 games he’s appeared in for the Bengals, dating to 2013. But that streak apparently will come to an end Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

The 31-year-old indicated that his role is being reduced to that of a third-down edge rusher, which is a move we discussed on last week’s Hear That Podcast Growlin’ after watching Carl Lawson not only get more chances to play on first and second downs, but excel against the run.

Dunlap sounded surprised by the move, but he shouldn’t be.

His production dipped, especially against the run, and this isn’t even the first time the Bengals have dramatically reduced his role this season.

Dunlap played just 52 percent of the snaps in Week 2 against Cleveland, his second-lowest share since 2012, ahead of only the 51 percent he played in a 51-14 blowout loss to the Saints in 2018.

But that wasn’t a load-management decision against the Browns, and Dunlap didn’t appear on the injury report before or after the game.

It had all the appearances of a benching as Dunlap played 27 of the first 36 snaps, then only three of the final 22. And none of the final 11, which included the make-or-break drive in the fourth quarter when the Bengals needed a stop to get the ball back for Joe Burrow and the offense to have a chance to win.

Only the coaches know for sure whether it was effort, production or something else that went into that decision, and they’re not commenting. Dunlap started the following week in Philadelphia and returned to his usual role, playing 82 percent of the snaps.

But it’s growing clearer that Lawson is the better option against the run at this point, and the defense has been shaped to deal with the Ravens and their run game.

Pro Football Focus lists Dunlap as a distant third among Bengals edge rushers in run-stop percentage, which the site constitutes as a tackle for an offensive failure.

Lawson not only leads the group at 10.3 percent on 58 snaps versus the run, but he also ranks 10th among all league edge rushers with at least 22 run snaps. Sam Hubbard is 19th at 9 percent on 89 snaps, while Dunlap is 43rd at 6.8 percent on 73 snaps.

Dunlap’s pass-rush productivity has plummeted as well. His 3.8 number ranks 87th among defensive ends with at least 32 pass-rush snaps. Hubbard is 52nd (5.7) and Lawson is 30th (7.7).

The decision to air game-plan details obviously wasn’t received well inside the organization, but what might be even more damaging with a longer-term effect are Dunlap’s subsequent comments.

He began the interview in a sulking manner before delivering more pointed criticism of the coaches, accusing them of blindsiding him with the decision and even questioning the sanity behind it.

“They just put a depth chart on the board. They didn’t really talk to me,” he said. “You would think that common decency would be something like that. I mean, it’s not like I’m injured or anything. I’m not nursing anything. I’ve been blessed. Eleven years in the game. But I understand business and evidently, this is the business that they want to do.”

Dunlap said he thinks the reason behind the move was his play against the run, but he’s only guessing because he said no one talked to him.

“Evidently, I didn’t make enough tackles in the run game,” he said. “Just putting two and two together. It’s something that would make sense because I don’t think my performance, I don’t think I fell down. They just have these game plans, and I’m employee 9-6 and this is where I’m at in the plan.

“I’m really trying to figure out the plan. It’s kind of frustrating, you know. I would like to just prepare for Baltimore, but I’ve got to prepare to figure out how to handle the madness that they’re doing.”

This is the second time Dunlap has called out the organization this season. He was critical of the organization in August for being slow to address social justice issues in wake of George Floyd’s death while requesting of team owner Mike Brown a face-to-face meeting. Brown met with the entire team the following day, and on the day after that, he accompanied a large group of players, coaches and front-office executives to the Freedom Center.

It would behoove both sides to try to smooth things out because they’re pretty much stuck with each other for the time being.

The trade deadline is still more than three weeks away on Nov. 3, so it’s hard to imagine any team wanting to deal for Dunlap based on what he’s put on tape this season, not to mention a contract that will pay him $10.3 million next year.

Dunlap said he disagrees with the premise that his play has slipped.

“You can roll the tape and see how I’ve played. Honestly, Week 3 at Philly, we featured more of the defense that I’ve played my whole career. But you’ve seen me make plays in this defense as well. Listen, when my number’s called, yeah, so … ” he said as he trailed off.

“It just seems like this is what the coaches want. I don’t know what the thought is, but evidently, focus on third down. So we’ve got to get them to third down with the young boys and do what I’m asked to do.”

Dunlap also defended his effort.

“The coaches have their opinion, but when asked to do certain things … I’m not going to get into a back and forth on camera about that stuff,” he said. “At the end of the day, this is their plan, they’re the coaches and I’m just trying to be a good employee.”

18 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

This is the first article I've seen that said the coaches didn't talk with him.  In that light, yeah...bad move by Zach and staff.  Add it to the list.

At the same time Dunlop is acting like a child.  If he can't see his play has dipped it's a problem.  At the end of the day he is an "Employee" as he is fond of saying.  STFU and play better.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Haha.  This staff seems to buy into the "just lie in their face" method of dealing with those on the outside.  Works in politics, why not in football?

Why not?...gets them another term..

Why would you tell the press anything?

You just feed them passive bullshit and their job is to decipher

It...lol

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Demoting him is not the real issue, they should have spoken to him about it first. If he is still pissed then that is his issue but the coaches should have let him know man to man.

That's what bothers me, it's how you lose players and then the team.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

That's what bothers me, it's how you lose players and then the team.

Your overfeeling it..

Maybe Dunlap is too..

Go ahead on with the new defensive scheme and rotation..

Hopefully everyone is rested when its time to perform at a higher level..

13 hours ago, spicoli said:

Yeah I don’t get it. Since when does who’s starting in a rotation matter? Every single one of them are going to play so I don’t see why it matters who’s listed as the *starter* ....Bueller?

It’s an ego thing.  

Archived