You have to squeeze your elbows....

I often wonder, if the Bengals could have had Zac Taylor a month earlier, how different (if it all) would the coaching hires have been for his staff? Did he take what was "left"? Were there coaches he would have liked to hire that went elsewhere before he got the chance? Or, were the coaches he hired exactly the same ones he would have hired a month earlier?

Zac Taylor's coaching tenure with the team was not met with much excitement from me as I felt he was already behind when he was hired. I truly wonder how things might have been different.

35 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I often wonder, if the Bengals could have had Zac Taylor a month earlier, how different (if it all) would the coaching hires have been for his staff? Did he take what was "left"? Were there coaches he would have liked to hire that went elsewhere before he got the chance? Or, were the coaches he hired exactly the same ones he would have hired a month earlier?

Zac Taylor's coaching tenure with the team was not met with much excitement from me as I felt he was already behind when he was hired. I truly wonder how things might have been different.

Taylor's theme song should be "Running down a dream""...

Running down a dream

That never would come to me

Workin on a mystery

Goin wherever it leads

Yeah running down a dream"...

Heh, reminds me very much of my d-line coach my last couple years of high school.  Similar voice, similar hard-ass-ness... one interesting quote from him was "Don't cry to me about injuries unless you have a broken bone - anything else means you're telling me you're a pussy."  Ah, memories...

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Heh, reminds me very much of my d-line coach my last couple years of high school.  Similar voice, similar hard-ass-ness... one interesting quote from him was "Don't cry to me about injuries unless you have a broken bone - anything else means you're telling me you're a pussy."  Ah, memories...

How well did your team play under him??

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Just now, claptonrocks said:

We played well, made the championship every year, but it was just high school ball in Canada - everything was more based on talent and fitness than being out-coached.  Everybody in the city pretty much ran their vanilla bases and hoped for the best.  What I can say is that our coaches were all very committed to fitness and ran us extremely hard in practices, which of course we hated early on in the seasons... but as we watched our opponents wilt while we got stronger in games and across the season, we appreciated what it bought us.

2 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

We played well, made the championship every year, but it was just high school ball in Canada - everything was more based on talent and fitness than being out-coached.  Everybody in the city pretty much ran their vanilla bases and hoped for the best.  What I can say is that our coaches were all very committed to fitness and ran us extremely hard in practices, which of course we hated early on in the seasons... but as we watched our opponents wilt while we got stronger in games and across the season, we appreciated what it bought us.

Cool...

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Cool...

I guess I should add that most of the players actually liked the guy, mainly because he was that young-ish guy who owned a bar in town and people just wanted to be around him.  I wasn't particularly interested in knowing him outside the team, but I do know his instincts as a coach were mostly wrong, as my quote partially demonstrates. :)

Guys will put up with hard-ass coaches if they know the coach has their best interests at heart.  If the coach is only about himself they know it and will hate him.

College is one of the last bastions of guys like this.  College coaches in just about all sports own those players.  They control their life.  The control playing time and even if they have a scholarship.  They still act like maniacs and some verbally abuse players regularly.  I'm watching it now in a different D1 sport.  No chance the coach could act like he does with professionals. 

Turner's style of communication probably wears thin with pro's who don't want some guy who never played the game or position at a high level yelling at them about their elbows and the difference between 2 inches and 2 1/4 inch that's he's eyeballing.

He's like something out of bad 80's movie, straight out of central casting. I can't believe this guy is charged with protecting the multi billion dollar commodity that is Joe Burrow.

This organization is already dealing with an inept owner that refuses to modernize the business operations, it can't overcome ineptitude in the coaching staff as well.

22 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

My dad's quote was always "No blood, no foul" and that extended to fights in our backyard. 

Archived