Why all the John Ross love?

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

The last draft?

I see Joe Burrow, Tee Higgins and Logan Wilson once in awhile.

The rest... meh pretty much.

We rolled the dice on high price free agents who are either injured (Reader, Daniels)

or past their prime or just not very good... Bynes, Bell, Sims.

ABG is already logging huge minutes at LB. Kareem is in the rotation already on the d-line. So that's the first five picks on the field and contributing. Not sure what more you expect six games in????

4 hours ago, membengal said:

ABG is already logging huge minutes at LB. Kareem is in the rotation already on the d-line. So that's the first five picks on the field and contributing. Not sure what more you expect six games in????

It is significant that the young guys are getting playing time but that does not mean they will turn out to be good players. it just means we will know that faster.

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

My question is are the young guys getting reps because they've earned them, or are they getting them because they ask no questions and never challenge the coaches?

The young backers were thrown in the fire for no other reason than bodies needed..

Akeem. Bledsoe provide depth due to the depletion there..

Its the year of the rook now..

Like I.C. said some will work out some not..

We ll know quickly enough..

And my boy waits quietly in the wings (Adenijji)...

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Sadly for Bengal fans no..its not.

Mike's first priority is making a fortune in Cincinnati for himself and his family.

A good idea no?

He acquired a ready made nfl team and ran it like a business ..

He bilked the county out of millions

In a strangled hold deal..

Hes smart enough to know he has to keep it afloat but allways make a profit..

Ya see..Hes not football..all business.

He doesnt have the money to play with the rich city owners but he'll churn that profit...

Katy has to make the changes in a system that has been used for yrs ..

Tough task..

Bew blood is needed..

Maybe that was her final decision on hirong Zach..

God we are in a unrealistic thought journey into thinking we can turn this around in 3 years..

Build the Oline build the front 7 protect your QB..

4 years to do it for this team to make a run at the title..

Maybe

Disagree that Mike Brown is a good businessman. He could make more money by fielding a successful team. His team could be more successful by spending more wisely, on coaches and scouts and less on the Bobby Hart's of the world. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Disagree that Mike Brown is a good businessman. He could make more money by fielding a successful team. His team could be more successful by spending more wisely, on coaches and scouts and less on the Bobby Hart's of the world. 

Well, they must spend up to 95% of the cap on a rolling 5 year basis and no less than 89% every year.  If they don’t they simply have to send a check to the players Union to make up the shortfall.  They really can’t save or spend more which is why the league is so competitive.   

Now when you start talking about non capped out of pocket spending on things like facilities, coaches, trainers, scouts, perks like great food, hotels and all the little things good companies do to keep employees and families happy, the Bengals are sorely lacking. 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is significant that the young guys are getting playing time but that does not mean they will turn out to be good players. it just means we will know that faster.

Which I think is a good thing this year.  The old guys are on their way out and won’t be part of the Joe Burrow show much longer.  

38 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah he could make more ...

Im thinking hes happy with his stacks of mean green..

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Greed is a pretty good motivator.  Works for me, anyway.

It would undoubtedly mean more work for them, as well as the bigger sticking point - relinquishing control.  On top of this, there's no guaranteed return on investment.  Plenty of franchises spend big and still go nowhere.  Their own experiments with big FA's have had mixed results.

tl;dr -  One word:  Complacency.  

45 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It would undoubtedly mean more work for them, as well as the bigger sticking point - relinquishing control.  On top of this, there's no guaranteed return on investment.  Plenty of franchises spend big and still go nowhere.  Their own experiments with big FA's have had mixed results.

tl;dr -  One word:  Complacency.  

Good word...

Only salvation for the fans right now would be if

Katy and Zach are not..

We dont know that but by the way Zach is overhauling Id say theres a chance ...

35 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good word...

Only salvation for the fans right now would be if

Katy and Zach are not..

We dont know that but by the way Zach is overhauling Id say theres a chance ...

Zach.. IDK how he feels but he's treading water at best right now.  His record is terrible but that has a lot to do with the lack of talent.

Which brings us to Katy..  I don't think she much cares so long as those fat NFL checks keep coming.

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Zach.. IDK how he feels but he's treading water at best right now.  His record is terrible but that has a lot to do with the lack of talent.

Which brings us to Katy..  I don't think she much cares so long as those fat NFL checks keep coming.

Then you must feel theres no hope at all for this team in the future..

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Then you must feel theres no hope at all for this team in the future..

I think once Ol' Musty is no longer able or willing to run things KatieTroy will hire a GM or the functional equivalent of one so they can spend more time yachting or whatever.  The team has more or less been the same most of her adult life, I think she's perfectly comfortable with the status quo.

25 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I assume that MB and Katy are not dumb (poor business people, yes but not dumb) - the MB model is to not expend money on office/personnel staff , i guess he sees this as an expense not needed as he makes a safe annual income. 

But, it has to be very frustrating given the constant public outcry and the constant losing. They would know that other teams put far more resources into office/personnel staff and they would know that is what leads other teams to success. What they fail to grasp, or they fail to want to move towrds is the idea that the franchise value itself grows if the team is winning. other smaller market teams that are successful have franchise values in excess of $500M over the Bengals - investing in the team means huge return. maybe Mikey never sees selling the team so that does not mean anything to him? Don't know but does Katy want to run the team for 30 years without a playoff win? I would either invest in the team (and still make great money) or sell it. Meandering in between is No Mans land. 

I suspect Mike Brown sees himself as a "football man", a chip off the old block. Given his complete lack of success, let's hope Katie doesn't see her old man as the model. She and the rest of the family can have a very comfortable life letting professionals run the team and be accountable instead of treating it as the family business with nobody being fireable for poor performance. 

Archived