Good, Bad, and Ugly (Colts)

Joe Burrow played well enough to keep our hopes in him alive and he didn't get hurt, or even roughed up that much, so that is the good.

The bad/ugly was the Bengals defense which Rivers dissected like a skilled surgeon. And I don't know whether to blame the players or Lou Anarumo  so I'll just go with both. Ugly indeed.

Losers

Vonn Bell: With other free agent additions on I.R., Bell is looking more and more like a liability on the field. In a Cover 2 shell, Bell was beaten deep on 55-yard pass that set up first Coltstouchdown. Later on, he was made a fool by Rivers on crucial third down late in the fourth quarter. As the game went on, we saw more and more Shawn Williams on the field where we’d normally see Bell.

Darius Phillips: Most of the Bengals’ defense was shredded in the second quarter, and Phillipswas no exception. He was beaten by Trey Burton on first of two second-quarter touchdowns. After talking the talk leading up to the game, Phillips didn’t exactly walk the walk on Sunday.

LeShaun Sims: Oof. Sims was getting snaps at cornerback despite the return of Mackensie Alexander, but he did not belong on the field. Sims was beaten on two passes during Colts’ two-minute drill, including second touchdown. Later in the third, he was burned again on a second-and-12. Rivers roasted this defense, and Sims was the main culprit. 

Alex Redmond: His matchup with DeForest Buckner was relatively uneventful for most of the game, but a false start and allowed sack on back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter put a damper on things. The sooner Xavier Su’a-Filo returns, the better the offense will be with Redmond back on the bench. 

Lou Anarumo: The entire second quarter, what the actual Hell man? Rivers’ dissection of the Bengals’ secondary was inexcusable, and the majority of the blame belongs on Anarumo’s shoulders. When he rushed three, Rivers won. When he blitzed, Rivers still won. And where were Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins? Anarumo did his best to hide them on the bench and we’re not sure why. Overall, it was not a good day for Cincinnati’s defensive play-caller. 

Zac Taylor: A two-play sequence featuring a full-back run and a fourth-and-one field goal can be described with one word: cowardly. Taylor won’t have a win to disguise the latest blunder in his young-but-uninspiring coaching career. After 12 road games, Taylor has as many wins as yours truly. You play to lose, you lose.

Zac Shula is sounding more like ML every day - just a play here and there we have to make, keep on shoveling, have to concentrate on every play, have to get off the field on third downs, yadda yadda.

As it turns out, poor little young Zac stood no chance against the mighty ineptitude of this front office. 

The team keeps failing but the Browns keep making money

GOOD

Joe Burrow-Despite the poor INT to end the game, the kid continues to look every bit the part.

Tee Higgins-First 100+ game.

AJ Green-Actually showed up for once. Too bad he appears down below too, though.

Jessie Bates-Without question the best defensive player on the team.

Linebackers-There's work to be done but, I see promise in the young linebackers.

Schedule-The Bengals get to play four games in a row against Washington, New York, Miami & Dallas.

Offensive Line-Played above their heads and were not to blame for the loss (unlike most games). Could have done better in run blocking but, I felt it was a good showing.

BAD

Vonn Bell-I thought Shawn Williams sucked in coverage. Good tackler but sucks a bag of dicks at covering receivers.

Darius Phillips-I noticed you deleted you tweet, big mouth.

AJ Green-Abysmal effort on the deep pass from Burrow. Hit you in your hands but you should have been fighting for the ball any way.

Carlos Dunlap & Geno Atkins-Looks like the Bengals are paying $25 million for a pair of ghosts. Both shadows of their former selves.

Dropped Passes-I don't think Burrow's skill set requires (or would be helped) by a burner.  What he does need is guys who can catch the fucking ball. Tight End is a priority in the offseason

Schedule I-We will probably lose at least two of the four games mentioned above.

Schedule II-Our next three games are against Cleveland, Tennessee and Pittsburgh.

UGLY

8:51 of the 4th Quarter-Run Mixon twice, sneak Burrow twice but that was bullshit. Game was lost there.

Choke-Blowing a 21 point lead.

Coaching-Poor job by both Taylor and Anarumo at crucial points of the game.

In addition to Taylor and Anarumo, Bledsoe and linebacker Josh Bynes met with reporters. And it was Bynes who best summed up the mood of the team in one of his final comments of the session.

“We just gotta play fucking better,” Bynes said. “I’m sorry for cussing. We just have to play better. I just want to win, and that’s what these guys are about. I love this game, and I love what it brings. To sit here and act like it doesn’t get to you, it does.”

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

In addition to Taylor and Anarumo, Bledsoe and linebacker Josh Bynes met with reporters. And it was Bynes who best summed up the mood of the team in one of his final comments of the session.

“We just gotta play fucking better,” Bynes said. “I’m sorry for cussing. We just have to play better. I just want to win, and that’s what these guys are about. I love this game, and I love what it brings. To sit here and act like it doesn’t get to you, it does.”

Bynes isnt helping much either..

Our whole linebacking group is horrible..

Wtf are they good at???

Nothing!!

Archived