Bengals' Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap frustrated with being phased out of game plan

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

One or two guys... Maybe. The entire core of your franchise rebels? The mutiny is on boys, and Captain Zac Queeg is due a good keel-haulin'.

Zac Taylor and his crew are a disaster. Joe Burrow is the only thing saving this from being a total shit-show.

Entire core of the franchise?!? Maybe in 2015. Carlos Dunlap, John Ross, Shawn Williams and Darius "I Give Up Big Plays-Don't Waste My Talent" Phillips?!? Please. I actually haven't even heard AJ or Geno say anything. Even if they did, they aren't the core anymore.

If I understand my social media, hip young folk vernacular, Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon are basically telling Carlos Dunlap to suck a dick on his latest Instagram rant. Boyd actually said after the game that the locker room is fed up with Dunlap's nonsense.

The "core" of this team is Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, Jackson, Jonah Williams, Bates and Reader. The $43 million posse and their hopeless sidekicks couldn't kick up a popcorn fart in a windstorm. 

Carlos Dunlap has had 2 good games in his last 20. He should be thanking the Bengals for paying him so much to be so mediocre. He should be thanking the Bengals for being so faithful to declining talent. His actions aren't those of a professional but those of a classless, overpaid assclown.

There are many, many problems with this team/franchise including the coaching staff. We are all aware of it. But, so was Employee #96 when he cashed in and now he's crying. I feel zero sympathy for him. I hope they trade him to the Jets, Lions, Falcons or Jaguars.

Just now, BengalFanInTO said:

Entire core of the franchise?!? Maybe in 2015. Carlos Dunlap, John Ross, Shawn Williams and Darius "I Give Up Big Plays-Don't Waste My Talent" Phillips?!? Please. I actually haven't even heard AJ or Geno say anything. Even if they did, they aren't the core anymore.

If I understand my social media, hip young folk vernacular, Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon are basically telling Carlos Dunlap to suck a dick on his latest Instagram rant. Boyd actually said after the game that the locker room is fed up with Dunlap's nonsense.

The "core" of this team is Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, Jackson, Jonah Williams, Bates and Reader. The $43 million posse and their hopeless sidekicks couldn't kick up a popcorn fart in a windstorm. 

Carlos Dunlap has had 2 good games in his last 20. He should be thanking the Bengals for paying him so much to be so mediocre. He should be thanking the Bengals for being so faithful to declining talent. His actions aren't those of a professional but those of a classless, overpaid assclown.

There are many, many problems with this team/franchise including the coaching staff. We are all aware of it. But, so was Employee #96 when he cashed in and now he's crying. I feel zero sympathy for him. I hope they trade him to the Jets, Lions, Falcons or Jaguars.

Unfortunately, history shows us that todays young engaged core will become tomorrow's older bungalized core

34 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Unfortunately, history shows us that todays young engaged core will become tomorrow's older bungalized core

That is, unfortunately, what often happens.  Guys like Dunlap become accustomed to losing, so it really doesn't matter that much to them.  Good to see that Gio understands how it works.  They have drafted and replaced Bernard as the feature back.  Does he piss and moan?  Nope.  He runs his little ass into the guys trying to kill Burrow.  Then when he gets a chance he shows up like he did today.  Yes, the front office is a nightmare.  Still, it's on the players to win for the most part.  You win with attitudes like Bernard.  Selfish guys who aren't getting it done and expect that to be OK because they used to be good are useless. 

The coaching staff has f'ed up plenty, but Dunlap's issues have little to do with the team or winning.  It's all about himself.  Time to go. 

14 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

As was the entire defense, Mayfield completed 22 straight passes.. that makes me think the defensive game plan and play calling was awful.

Yes, it was... but was Dunlap and the old DL going at it 100%?

23 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That is, unfortunately, what often happens.  Guys like Dunlap become accustomed to losing, so it really doesn't matter that much to them.  Good to see that Gio understands how it works.  They have drafted and replaced Bernard as the feature back.  Does he piss and moan?  Nope.  He runs his little ass into the guys trying to kill Burrow.  Then when he gets a chance he shows up like he did today.  Yes, the front office is a nightmare.  Still, it's on the players to win for the most part.  You win with attitudes like Bernard.  Selfish guys who aren't getting it done and expect that to be OK because they used to be good are useless. 

The coaching staff has f'ed up plenty, but Dunlap's issues have little to do with the team or winning.  It's all about himself.  Time to go. 

Dunlap has to go for sure if for no other reason than the organization making a statement of support for Zac Shula. 

I would add an important clarification for the likes of Dunlap - it is not just becoming accustomed to losing, it is becoming aware that the organization is not capable of winning. Which is why he is not just venting, he is venting AT the organization. 

Still not right, especially for a guy who has made and still makes a lot of coin for his production level. But at first is was Spikes, then CP, now Dunlap. Groundhog day. They were all pointing to the corner office. 

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Dunlap has to go for sure if for no other reason than the organization making a statement of support for Zac Shula. 

I would add an important clarification for the likes of Dunlap - it is not just becoming accustomed to losing, it is becoming aware that the organization is not capable of winning. Which is why he is not just venting, he is venting AT the organization. 

Still not right, especially for a guy who has made and still makes a lot of coin for his production level. But at first is was Spikes, then CP, now Dunlap. Groundhog day. They were all pointing to the corner office. 

This is true, but the only one I respect out of those three is Spikes.  Palmer and Dunlap took the money.  They could have left like Spikes did.  Instead they quit.  Yes, the quit on Mike Brown, but they quit on their teammates as well.

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Speaking of Takeo Spikes, I had a dig through Carlos' IG post with the whiteboard depth chart.  Takeo responded thusly:

"Yup. Complete B.S.
6 people on the team tied with 1 sack and you're productive across the board. Keep grinding in your own silo and don't let your focus waver. 💯"

Lots of people responded to this, mostly negatively.  The funniest, of course, was pointing to the fact that once Takeo left teams he considered "beneath him", they (including the Bengals!) saw a "spike" in success while his new team experienced abject failure.  You want to work in a silo, go live on a farm.  You want to see success in team sports (or any team-based business), you sure as hell better be ready to make some sacrifices/compromises.

11 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

You want to see success in team sports (or any team-based business), you sure as hell better be ready to make some sacrifices/compromises.

True BUT, and it is a big BUT - for the players to make that extra sacrifice, make those extra plays, do the tiny things that make a difference - basically the things elite teams do -> the players have to know that the common goal top down is winning. If that is not in place, not all players will buy in and year after year we see this team lose lose on a few dumb plays or small things like a missed tackle. Just watching the Seahawks tonight - they are all in, they do all the little things because they all know this team, top to bottom wants to win a SB. Our team does not so even if young players try and change things it will fail because they will eventually realize their own extra efforts are futile. This is basic human nature. The dedication to do anything to win HAS to come from the top and not from the middle or bottom. 

Players here will soon realize that they are being asked to be accountable but others in the organization are not. Then the extra effort fades away. 

Carlos needs to keep his shit in house. He's always been a favorite of mine and I get he's frustrated because the coaches kind of disrespected him, but nut up and get your game right because the play and the lack of being professional is going to ensure he wont be here next year. If we wants to be a part of this team he needs to fix it.

2 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I questioned how/why Geno and Carlos were bundled in the same "unhappy" attitude from the beginning.  Carlos was very vocal about his displeasure, whereas I never did see anything but reporters conjecture about Geno.  Just seemed like reporters were taking it upon themselves to bundle them to help sell the story.  Makes sense to me that Geno is simply working his way back...I obviously wish it was happening faster, but I don't put him and Carlos in the same boat.  I seem to recall Lapham or similar warned about equating Geno's situation with Carlos too.

12 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

In case anyone hasn't noticed, it appears Carlos deleted the tweets and IG posts, all of them...

Agent probably ripped him a new one after a letter threatening "conduct detrimental to the team" letter from the Brown family. 

On 10/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, esjbh2 said:

I questioned how/why Geno and Carlos were bundled in the same "unhappy" attitude from the beginning.  Carlos was very vocal about his displeasure, whereas I never did see anything but reporters conjecture about Geno.  Just seemed like reporters were taking it upon themselves to bundle them to help sell the story.  Makes sense to me that Geno is simply working his way back...I obviously wish it was happening faster, but I don't put him and Carlos in the same boat.  I seem to recall Lapham or similar warned about equating Geno's situation with Carlos too.

Tyler Dragon normally doesn't make up qoutes, he seems to be pretty reliable. It would be odd for him to just make that up about Atkins. 

Glad to hear Dunlap got traded to a good team where he can play and have success

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Tyler Dragon normally doesn't make up qoutes, he seems to be pretty reliable. It would be odd for him to just make that up about Atkins. 

Glad to hear Dunlap got traded to a good team where he can play and have success

Fair enough.  Hopefully Geno is just trying to do too much too soon and coaches are simply limiting his snaps temporarily...would hate to see him end up like Carlos, although Geno hasn't done much since he's been back either.

As much as I dislike Collinsworth, he did kinda call the Dunlap thing while broadcasting the Seahawks game.  Something to the effect that Seahawks' missing piece to the Superbowl was an edge rusher and suggested they try to find one.  I liked Carlos...at least until a week or so ago...seemed like a really good guy and he certainly did some great things for the community...I wish him well...except against us of course.

Archived