Bengals' Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap frustrated with being phased out of game plan

7 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Fair enough.  Hopefully Geno is just trying to do too much too soon and coaches are simply limiting his snaps temporarily...would hate to see him end up like Carlos, although Geno hasn't done much since he's been back either.

As much as I dislike Collinsworth, he did kinda call the Dunlap thing while broadcasting the Seahawks game.  Something to the effect that Seahawks' missing piece to the Superbowl was an edge rusher and suggested they try to find one.  I liked Carlos...at least until a week or so ago...seemed like a really good guy and he certainly did some great things for the community...I wish him well...except against us of course.

No he hasnt done much...

He hasnt done shit..

Adios soon..

Just an FYI:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/10/30/21541250/adam-jones-bengals-coaching-staff-instagram-video-carlos-dunlap

”The best (expletive) 3-technique playing (expletive) nose guard. I ain’t ever seen Geno (Atkins) line up over the center. Never in my entire (expletive) career. Geno over the (expletive) center every (expletive) play now.”

We’ve never seen this before simply because former head coach Marvin Lewis led the team for so long, there was never an opportunity for players of his regime to criticize his replacement and his assistants—until now, that is.

Jones may not speak for everyone of the old regime, but it’s hard to disagree with where his anger stems from.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just an FYI:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/10/30/21541250/adam-jones-bengals-coaching-staff-instagram-video-carlos-dunlap

”The best (expletive) 3-technique playing (expletive) nose guard. I ain’t ever seen Geno (Atkins) line up over the center. Never in my entire (expletive) career. Geno over the (expletive) center every (expletive) play now.”

We’ve never seen this before simply because former head coach Marvin Lewis led the team for so long, there was never an opportunity for players of his regime to criticize his replacement and his assistants—until now, that is.

Jones may not speak for everyone of the old regime, but it’s hard to disagree with where his anger stems from.

Explains a lot. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

He USED to be the best 3-tech, he’s not even close to that now.  I’d get the bitching if Geno was still in his prime, but.. 

So fan are turning players who been miss-used, for a bum who was about to be fired in new York.and his only saving grace was the fact,that the Bengals hired him as their defensive coordinator.you can blame the players ,but at some point you have to start looking at the scheme.

34 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’m just saying, big mouth Pac-Man is talking about Geno like he’s still the best 3T in the league and he’s not close to that. I’m not turning on Geno by saying that, it simply is what it is. 

Pacman's comments are offbase about Geno..

What he said about coaching is true..

We Need another DC LB and DL coaches..

Im giving Turner a pass of sorts because of the revolving olinemen he has to work with..

Its a temporary pass on him though..

I believe Zach will bring in new ones this offseason...

39 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’m just saying, big mouth Pac-Man is talking about Geno like he’s still the best 3T in the league and he’s not close to that. I’m not turning on Geno by saying that, it simply is what it is. 

I think you're missing the point.  How would you know how good a 3-tech he is if he's not being used as as 3-tech?

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why?  We won all of 2 games last season and he replaced none of them.

Hes given them a rope this year..

Theyve essentially hung themselves at this point..

I believe the coaching changes will happen..

The question will be who will find the Bengals appealing to coaching them.. 

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think you're missing the point.  How would you know how good a 3-tech he is if he's not being used as as 3-tech?

Their entire unit is decimated by injury, why is Geno above taking one for the team and filling some roles that he might not necessarily be accustom to? Just get out there and bust your ass because your teammates are dropping like flies and that’s what we need from you right now....why is that too much to ask from Saint Geno?   

22 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Their entire unit is decimated by injury, why is Geno above taking one for the team and filling some roles that he might not necessarily be accustom to? Just get out there and bust your ass because your teammates are dropping like flies and that’s what we need from you right now....why is that too much to ask from Saint Geno?   

Its not "taking one for the team." It's putting a guy who was already undersized and telling him to play as a NT. That's fucking stupid. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

They’re entire unit is decimated by injury, why is Geno above taking one for the team and filling some roles that he might not necessarily be accustom to? Just get out there and bust your ass because your teammates are dropping like flies and that’s what we need from you right now....why is that too much to ask from Saint Geno?   

Because Geno isn't built to be a NT.  He's a disruptor.  He gets past guys into the backfield.  His game is about quickness.  A NT usually is a very large man that clogs things up and can occupy two men.  That is not Geno Atkins. 

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Because Geno isn't built to be a NT.  He's a disruptor.  He gets past guys into the backfield.  His game is about quickness.  A NT usually is a very large man that clogs things up and can occupy two men.  That is not Geno Atkins. 

Square peg, round hole.  Just keep hammering!

In general it seems like they want to rebuild and compete at the same time, and they're not managing to do either one.

Dunlap was a top 10 draft prospect before his last year in college.  He fell all the way to 54 for 3 reasons:  1. He never showed up for big games, ever.  2. He had behavior issues at Florida.  Some were known like the DUI that knocked him out of the SEC Championship, others not publicly known. These were relayed to NFL GMs who took him off their boards 3. He showed up to the combine out of shape. It didn’t surprise anyone that the Bengals went with him at 54, it’s what Mike Brown does.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Square peg, round hole.  Just keep hammering!

In general it seems like they want to rebuild and compete at the same time, and they're not managing to do either one.

Really I just think they want to rebuild with their own guys in their own way and guys like Dunlap, Geno and probably Green too just aren’t part of the equation. I doubt they do anything with Green this season but I would not be the least bit surprised to see Geno traded before Tuesday’s deadline. 

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

Really I just think they want to rebuild with their own guys in their own way and guys like Dunlap, Geno and probably Green too just aren’t part of the equation. I doubt they do anything with Green this season but I would not be the least bit surprised to see Geno traded before Tuesday’s deadline. 

You think they really have a plan? 

This is the worst coaching staff in the NFL, the numbers don't lie.

So I guess the two best pass rushers in franchise history are now bums but this coaching staff that's literally one of the worst in the history of the NFL knows what's best....that makes sense

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

So I guess the two best pass rushers in franchise history are now bums but this coaching staff that's literally one of the worst in the history of the NFL knows what's best....that makes sense

The defense has been going downhill since 2017.  It was terrible in 2018 and 19. Atkins and Dunlap are losing out to Father Time just like every best player in franchise history does. 

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

Really I just think they want to rebuild with their own guys in their own way

"Their own way" being 2-3 players at a time over the next 4-6 years or...  ?

If this was part of some grand plan, why not trade Dunlap in the offseason when he had far more value instead?  

Seems pretty clear to me that Taylor is just making it up as he goes along.  

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They may think they have a plan but we all know how this will play out. 

this staff does really suck. Their was an article in the Athletic about the Sam Wyche died with the old Oilers and they mentioned other coaches on the ream at the time - Lebeau, Coslet, McNally. Compare that to the shit we have now. 

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

"Their own way" being 2-3 players at a time over the next 4-6 years or...  ?

If this was part of some grand plan, why not trade Dunlap in the offseason when he had far more value instead?  

Seems pretty clear to me that Taylor is just making it up as he goes along.  

I think it was clear to Dunlap that Taylor and Anarumo were definitely faking it until they make it, if they ever will, and said I want off this ride.

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't think it matters if they have a "plan".....until they're fired or quit, it's their team and they're going to run it however they see fit. Just because a player making millions of dollars doesn't like or agree with how they're being used, that doesn't make it okay for that player to be disruptive to the organization. 

Archived