Bengals' Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap frustrated with being phased out of game plan

27 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don't think it matters if they have a "plan".....until they're fired or quit, it's their team and they're going to run it however they see fit. Just because a player making millions of dollars doesn't like or agree with how they're being used, that doesn't make it okay for that player to be disruptive to the organization. 

Bengals Fans:  This owner is inept! The coaches don't have a clue! Their gameplan sucks! They don't know how to develop talent! Our best players aren't put in a position to win!

Veteran player: They're wasting my talent

Bengals Fans:  WARGLBARGL!! HE SUCKS NOW!:Angry-min:

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Bengals Fans:  This owner is inept! The coaches don't have a clue! Their gameplan sucks! They don't know how to develop talent! Our best players aren't put in a position to win!

Veteran player: They're wasting my talent

Bengals Fans:  WARGLBARGL!! HE SUCKS NOW!:Angry-min:

Again, there are ways for players to handle things when they’re unhappy...being disruptive to the organization isn’t one of those ways. I understand why they’re mad, I just don’t agree with the way Dunlap handled it. I also don’t believe Geno should be bitching about how he’s being used when he’s playing on a unit that’s been completely wiped out by injury and they’re just looking for healthy bodies to run out there on a weekly basis. Just go out there and bust your ass and do what’s needed. This isn’t that hard. 

58 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don't think it matters if they have a "plan".....until they're fired or quit, it's their team and they're going to run it however they see fit. Just because a player making millions of dollars doesn't like or agree with how they're being used, that doesn't make it okay for that player to be disruptive to the organization. 

It doesn't matter if they have a plan??? 

If you say so, but I disagree. If you are at your job and they bring in some young manager who has no clue what he's doing, makes the business worse, and tries to make you look bad by demoting you as if the companies problems are all your fault vwhat would you do? Would you just bend over and take it or would you say and do something to defend yourself.

Some coaches ripped Ross to Jeremy Rauch at Fox 19, he went to twitter to be chatty, and Ross responded. I can't understand why you want players to be compliant with an organization that clearly needs disruption. 

22 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It doesn't matter if they have a plan??? 

If you say so, but I disagree. If you are at your job and they bring in some young manager who has no clue what he's doing, makes the business worse, and tries to make you look bad by demoting you as if the companies problems are all your fault vwhat would you do? Would you just bend over and take it or would you say and do something to defend yourself.

I’d take my grievances to my union or to my agent...I wouldn’t be trying to throw the entire organization under the bus because I didn’t think I was being treated fairly by some individual. 

I am wondering what Zac Shula actually wants or wanted in a defensive system. Poop Lou was like the 18th choice for DC and now we want to completely convert to his system. Were the other (better) candidates running 3-4 or 4-3 systems? Seems to me if you want to change systems it has better be (a) a long term plan because you essentially have to change out most of the personnel and (b) you had better have a high level and trusted coordinator to do that. 

This system change seems so haphazard which again is the MO of this organization. This organization is just a mess. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I’d take my grievances to my union or to my agent...I wouldn’t be trying to throw the entire organization under the bus because I didn’t think I was being treated fairly by some individual. 

That's actually the way I feel personally too, but honestly, that's not the way things are done anymore with younger people IMHO.  Social media is their platform for everything it seems.  I personally don't get it, agree with it, or necessarily like it, but I've seen this in general including things good, bad, andindifferent.

Again, we don't know if Dunlap tried the private, professional approach and got nowhere.  Given what I've seen from this team as of late it sure seems likely.

Generally speaking when you treat people like shit it's kind of hard to fault the manner in which they react.

To put it another way, Dunlap was not the problem here.

25 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

That's actually the way I feel personally too, but honestly, that's not the way things are done anymore with younger people IMHO.  Social media is their platform for everything it seems.  I personally don't get it, agree with it, or necessarily like it, but I've seen this in general including things good, bad, andindifferent.

NFL players and their team owners are not really the same as a typical employee/employer. But I agree the first recourse is to keep it internal and go to coaches, then the owner and the media as a last resort. We may never know what order things happened but there is enough smoke lately to know their is a tire fire still burning within this organization. 

Dunlap has 1/2 sack and 13 tackles in 5 playoff games. Our dline rarely ever showed up for big games. The only time Big Jen was worried about this team was when Burfict was on it. I  can’t tell you how many times I have watched our dline literally disappear in games the last 10 years.  

16 hours ago, spicoli said:

Hear, hear. It is obvious that the Bengals are a well managed organization with management that is open and accepting of player feedback. I mean, what other player has ever publicly demanded a trade after being a model Pro bowler? Dunlap is obviously the exception.

We all know that Mike Brown is a reasonable man who doesn't see the team as his own personal Kingdom where his word is law, he sees it as a collective where everyone's feedback is valued. They're legendary for their history of treating players well and making sure they have everything they need. Any player that needs his ear is welcome to climb the stairs to the pressbox and wake him.

Why do players feel the need to make successful, well run, egalitarian organizations like the Bengals look bad? Baffles me. Hiding behind their Walter Peyton awards just waiting for the chance to slander the Steve Jobs like management guru that is Mike Brown. 

If you don't like it, go talk to coach Mike Brown. And if that doesn't work, go talk to director of player personnel Mike Brown. And if you don't like that, talk to GM Mike Brown. And if that still doesn't work, you might need to talk to the owner... Mike Brown. I'd even reach out to the HR director, Mike Brown. How easy is that?

In short, if you have a problem with Mike Brown, go talk to Mike Brown about it. It has worked for all of the Bengals greats.

Archived