Sewer Brewer: Week 7

Hate to give it to the same player in back to back weeks.

But the fact that Phillips was too incompetent to bat that ball away or even make a play for an INT.

Classic Bengals.

Darius Wilson Phillips is the "winner" yet again. 

Runners up to Lawson and I"m sure about 5 other defensive players.

Price to me with a false start at C should get it, but as others pointed it probably wasn't actually him that false started "first" but I maintain there's no excuse for a center jumping ever.

Maybe Phillips for being in position on the winning TD and missing (although he had an INT too).

55 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Lou Anarumo gets my vote. No defense, no pass rush whatsoever.

This is the right answer.  In almost every game this year we give up a score at the end of the half or the end of the game.  Up 3 with 66 seconds to go, Browns at their own 25, and we lose in regulation.  There is no excuse not to have safety help on that last play.  16 seconds left, you defend the boundary and the endzone.  Anything else and they've got to rush the FG unit on or it's an incomplete pass.  Basic football.

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Price to me with a false start at C should get it, but as others pointed it probably wasn't actually him that false started "first" but I maintain there's no excuse for a center jumping ever.

Maybe Phillips for being in position on the winning TD and missing (although he had an INT too).

He also had a holding penalty and Joe looked like a shortstop trying to field the low snaps and bounces.

Billy will be out of professional football next year.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

He also had a holding penalty and Joe looked like a shortstop trying to field the low snaps and bounces.

Billy will be out of professional football next year.

...or a fulltime starter for the Bengals!  :)

13 hours ago, Shebengal said:

This ^  Who here didn't think the best case scenario was overtime for the Bengals when they kicked off? The inability of our defense to stop an opposing team WHEN IT COUNTS is breathtaking. 

Where's Geno? Did he play? 

As for Dunlap, sure he's lost a step but it's not like his replacements are getting the job done. If that's all the better we get, might as well give Dunlap more snaps. This defense can't get any worse. Giving up a perfect half to Mayfield is as bad as it gets. That's rock bottom. Bottom line: I'm all for playing the best personnel regardless of paycheck but I'm not sure they're doing that

8 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

As for Dunlap, sure he's lost a step but it's not like his replacements are getting the job done. If that's all the better we get, might as well give Dunlap more snaps. This defense can't get any worse. Giving up a perfect half to Mayfield is as bad as it gets. That's rock bottom. Bottom line: I'm all for playing the best personnel regardless of paycheck but I'm not sure they're doing that

I agree, but at what point does behavior matter?  Dunlap has apparently been late to meetings, etc.  It keeps getting worse, but from what I've been reading it has been going on for a while.  Dunlap's teammates sure didn't come to his rescue yesterday.  At this point how does the coaching staff have any discipline or accountability if they put Dunlap back in there?

19 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Geno not in the stats.  Carloser had one quarterback hit, Lawson 4.  

BTW... Lawson was lining up in the neutral zone when playing down a lot during the first half and didn't get called.  I guess something was said to the refs at halftime because they did flag him once.  I wonder if the word came from The NFL Ministry of Truth to the refs to just let them play the game.  So much Cleveland Pass Interference and not called (Sample in the end zone, A.J.'s arms entangled trying to make a catch) that it was criminal.

BTW II ... not sure if it was shown on TV but it was on the scoreboard once and only once of Joe going from vertical to horizontal 3-4 feet in the air after a pass in the first quarter and straight down.  He said something to the ref but I think it was Stevie Wonder in stripes covering that play.

I know I am going to get killed for this but.... even though Margus Hunt does not appear in the stats he had a hella game and was disruptive and one of the keys to holding Kreamywhip Hunt to only 76 yards rushing and one of those a 15 yard gain.  Margus was playing both DT and DE and quite a bit of playing time..  I don't think he was ever pushed backward off the line and helped clog up the running game.  Two plays in particular come to mind where he may have shown up on TV both where his penetration and squaring off did not result in a tackle for him, but allowed a tackle for loss by another Bengal.  One was a trick run around end where the Browns runner just looked stunned to see Margus standing there.  He hesitate, and another Bengal nailed him.  No Margus, long run.   The other was a bubble screen or something to Laundry with Margus there.  Laundry hesitated, was hung out to dry for a loss by another Bengal.  As far as pass rush not so much, I guess, but none of the D did jack shit.

Whatever, here come the spears and arrows but the run defense was getting ripped to shit with Carloser but the addition of Margus and Mike Daniels made a difference.

Yes, I was there.  Missed the Carlos sideline drama because we were on the way out.  Dinner after downtown and only caught part of it on the post game show driving home.

18 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Tim McGee made a comment I thought relevant on the post game show on the radio I heard on the way home.

Some defensive coordinators try to force players into their system and

good defensive coordinators devise systems to meet the strengths of their players.

15 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Tim McGee made a comment I thought relevant on the post game show on the radio I heard on the way home.

good defensive coordinators devise systems to meet the strengths of their players.

There's a reason Lou is in mid 50's and just got his first DC job after being the league as a coach for almost a decade. He was the 5th choice if you remember, a lot coaches passed on this job. 

If Al Golden is calling the 3rd down plays then maybe he will take over after the Titans and King Henry come to town. 

59 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Same is true for OC's. make the best with what you have and over time get the right players in for your system. One of the keys to the long term success of the Stealers D is they have pretty much had the same system - so they know exactly what type of player will work in it. 

Zimmer was always excellent at using the best attributes of players that were essentially spare parts

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ive given up on any schemes 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

There's a reason Lou is in mid 50's and just got his first DC job after being the league as a coach for almost a decade. He was the 5th choice if you remember, a lot coaches passed on this job. 

If Al Golden is calling the 3rd down plays then maybe he will take over after the Titans and King Henry come to town. 

Golden is a horrible coach..

And Lou noclue is worse.

Good..

JB was great!

Right side of Oline was solid..fir once

Our receivers played with a passion..

Drew Sample was solid.and robbed of a TD!

Bad...

Defensive schemes..Lou sucks as a DC.

Phillips burnt to toast.

Von Bell is a liabilty except in the box tackles..

Billy Price just being Billy Price..ugg

Archived