Good, Bad, and Ugly (Browns round two)

Good: Burrow and the offensive line in the 2nd half. I don’t think he got sacked in the 2nd half, even with all the substitutes on the OL. Gio quietly had an excellent game, including blocking and picking up blitzes. Run defense wasn’t bad either.

Bad: OL in the 1st half, but I’m not surprised at that. 

Ugly: Defense in general. The defense made Mayfield look like Joe Montana. 22 straight completions?? 22?!?!? I know William Jackson wasn’t in there but there is no excuse for that whatsoever. As for the pass rush, Baker Mayfield had time to film another Progressive commercial today. No rush whatsoever. I am so tired of week after week, watching this defense snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Enough already!! Anarumo needs to go.

The So Good It Feels Like We Don't Deserve It:

• Joe Burrow.
  • Tyler Boyd.

The Regular Good:

• Tee just keeps making plays.
  • Gio stepping in with a great game in all facets.
  • Calling screens, slants and quicks to nullify the blitz (what a concept!).
  • AJ showing sign of life.

The Bad:

• Dumb penalties killing us again.

The Ugly:

• Everything defense:
    • DBs can't cover for shit.
    • Pass rush non-existent; it's like they have to actually *try* to be this bad.
    • Run defense is only effective when they sell out on cramming the box.
    • LBs are a complete non-factor in coverage.
  • Coaching:
    • Defensive schemes might be ok in parts of the game, but the players are at best confused, at worst incompetent.  That's still 100% the coaches' fault.
    • *Constantly* being out-coached and out-schemed, especially tactically.  They just don't have it.

Another bad/ugly IMHO...in addition to playing badly, the defense to me is playing very selfishly.  You see it on the missed tackles and yards after contact...too many players trying to get the "individual glory" of trying to strip the ball instead of wrapping up for a sure tackle.  Too many times defenders are just running along side the opposition player trying to get the forced fumble stat.  I think that's one of contributing factors, if not major reasons, for the lack of tackling.

Good: A few players but not enough

Bad: Too many players, coaches and paly calls to type out

Ugly: Mike Brown and his clown organization. We lose more good players then we gain. 

Humorous: I suddenly recalled today that some years back Mikey actually said he wanted to emulate the Stealers organization. If you need a laugh, that is it. 

Good:

Joe B

OL most of the day

The WR group

Gio

Bad:

Defense

Darius Phillips - After talking shit on social media saying the best players need to play, he gets smoked twice in < a minute, including giving up the game winning TD

Von Bell - Horrible and slow in coverage

Lou A - not playing zone when only a TD can beat you is as stupid as it gets

Ugly - Defense again

Also Bengals became the first team EVER to score >30 points, zero punts, and still lose.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I had noticed in the first half that Miles Garrett wasn’t getting past Bobby Hart and was pleasantly surprised. He moved to the other side and promptly blew past Williams a few times. Hey, good on Bobby Hart.  We hammer him here, so kudos are in order.  Hope his injury isn’t too bad. 

Good... add Drew Sample.  Robbed of a TD by an uncalled Defensive Holding but Tee (I think, maybe Tyler) scored on the next play so overlooked

Randy Bullock continues to be fairly consistent with field goals and extra points (no misses yesterday) and no return kickoffs

Ugly... add Officiating in that again Joe Burrow is fair game and raw meat for late hits.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

This is from another thread as a response to Sea Ray so excuse me for reposting.

Margus had an excellent game although he did not appear in the stats or highlight reels.

Played both DT and DE and was in there a lot.  

I know I am going to get killed for this but.... even though Margus Hunt does not appear in the stats he had a hella game and was disruptive and one of the keys to holding Kreamywhip Hunt to only 76 yards rushing and one of those a 15 yard gain.  Margus was playing both DT and DE and quite a bit of playing time..  I don't think he was ever pushed backward off the line and helped clog up the running game.  Two plays in particular come to mind where he may have shown up on TV both where his penetration and squaring off did not result in a tackle for him, but allowed a tackle for loss by another Bengal.  One was a trick run around end where the Browns runner just looked stunned to see Margus standing there.  He hesitate, and another Bengal nailed him.  No Margus, long run.   The other was a bubble screen or something to Laundry with Margus there in the backfield.  Laundry hesitated, was hung out to dry for a loss by another Bengal.  As far as pass rush not so much, I guess, but none of the D did jack shit.

Whatever, here come the spears and arrows but the run defense was getting ripped to shit with Carloser but the addition of Margus and Mike Daniels made a difference.

Yes, I was there.  Missed the Carlos sideline drama because we were on the way out.  Dinner after downtown and only caught part of it on the post game show driving home.

GOOD

Joe Burrow-This kid is the real deal and then some. If the Bengals do not make a significant effort to protect and surround this kid next year, I may be finally ending my "fandom"

Tyler Boyd-Guy is exactly what Burrow wants/needs. Even tossed in a completion on his day. Another solid effort followed by telling Carlos Dunlap to "Sucka shit"

Gio Bernard-Is no Joe Mixon running the ball but is one of the very best RBs in the league is pass protection. Solid all around game, Gio.

Bobby Hart & Michael Jordan-Yup. I know. I can't believe it either. These two played very well today.

Billy Price-Other than John Ross and Dre Kirkpatrick, my favourite Bengal to pick on over the past five years. Aside from the two penalties, I actually felt he played well. Especially in the passing game.

Margus Hunt-Credit where it's due. The guy looked pretty good yesterday.

AJ Green & Tee Higgins-Both had solid games. Boyd, Higgins, Green is a legit WR group. If they had an above average TE, the "talent" positions on offense are very good.

Expressions-Watching Joe Burrow's face after driving the Bengals down the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

BAD

Darius Phillips-Gave up back to back 30 yard and 24 yard passes to lose the game. Good Morning Football mails their weekly prizes to the players (like Angry Run). We should do the same with Brewers. I suggest a used toilet seat. Darius now has two on their way to him.

LeShaun Sims and Vonn Bell-Two free agent busts. Especially Bell. I had high hopes for him but he couldn't cover a twin bed with a king sheet.

Dre Kirkpatrick-Got burnt like a mofo all game long. He came in for a play late in the game, Wilson targeted him, threw for the first down and then Firstpatrick left the field. Oh wait, he's not our problem anymore. Never mind.

Injuries-Wow! Bengals are starting to really stack up the injuries. Definitely isn't helping the results.

Expressions II-Watching Joe Burrow's face after watching Mayfield drive the Browns down the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

UGLY

4th Quarter Leads-Bengals have held fourth quarter leads in five of their seven games winning ONLY one of them.

Carlos Dunlap-He's acting like a real jerkoff. Unfortunately he cannot come to grips that he is way too slow to defend in today's NFL and can't just be happy the Bengals are still paying him $11 million to suck.

Lou Anarumo-This guy is gah-bage. We all know this was not who the Bengals wanted and I think it's time he's walked off the plank. Bad beatdowns are on the horizon against Tennessee and Pittsburgh. I can't see him surviving those two games. 

Pass Defense-Anyone that thinks William Jackson isn't a very good player needs to watch this game. Mayfield with 22 straight completions?!? Inexcusable.

48 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

BAD

Darius Phillips-Gave up back to back 30 yard and 24 yard passes to lose the game. Good Morning Football mails their weekly prizes to the players (like Angry Run). We should do the same with Brewers. I suggest a used toilet seat. Darius now has two on their way to him.

Better...a pack of smokes with this picture on it.

Remember Bengals 'chain-smoking tight end' Sean Brewer?

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Expressions-Watching Joe Burrow's face after driving the Bengals down the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Expressions II-Watching Joe Burrow's face after watching Mayfield drive the Browns down the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

It was fleeting on TV, but did anyone notice his reaction to the false start (called on Price, maybe was actually Fred, whatever - it was horrid)?  He was UP.  SET... and he let them know it.  Love it.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I had noticed in the first half that Miles Garrett wasn’t getting past Bobby Hart and was pleasantly surprised. He moved to the other side and promptly blew past Williams a few times. Hey, good on Bobby Hart.  We hammer him here, so kudos are in order.  Hope his injury isn’t too bad. 

I didn't watch Hart on all of the plays, but the couple where the replay was focused on Garrett, I noticed he was playing pure contain and Bobby really didn't have to do anything because the play was to the other side.  I don't want to crap on him too much here, I'm sure he played way above his head regardless.  What I do question is the Browns ever having Garrett doing straight stand-up contain.  On every play in the book I'd have a special symbol for him and his only directive is "go disrupt that shit".

20 hours ago, Spotto said:

Letting Mayfield look like Montana

I'm not so sure Cincy "let" Mayfield look like Joe Montana. As much as it kills me to say it, Mayfield was throwing darts all over the field and his receivers were making one spectacular catch after another. Maybe they were pulling shite out of their arses and played the game of the season but what they did was infuriatingly effective.

59 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

It was fleeting on TV, but did anyone notice his reaction to the false start (called on Price, maybe was actually Fred, whatever - it was horrid)?  He was UP.  SET... and he let them know it.  Love it.

Price had an "illegal snap"  ??? and I thought maybe he had double hitched the ball or something.

Maybe that is what you are referring to.  Cheap drama and chicken shit.

However, what makes my blood boil even more was Joe getting thrown around like a rat in a terrier's mouth

yet AGAIN.  That shit is old.

P.S. Price's snaps back to Joe were all over the place.  Joe looked like Davey Conception back there fielding

grounders and bad hops.

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

P.S. Price's snaps back to Joe were all over the place.  Joe looked like Davey Conception back there fielding

grounders and bad hops.

On the play to Green where he couldn't hold on to the TD pass Price's snap hit Joe right in the hands.  Burrow is great, but he's not perfect.  The final sack on Burrow was 100% on him.  He rolled right knowing Garrett was coming.  He held the ball forever and got hit.  Dumb.  He has to be better and get rid of that ball. 

45 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

I'm not so sure Cincy "let" Mayfield look like Joe Montana. As much as it kills me to say it, Mayfield was throwing darts all over the field and his receivers were making one spectacular catch after another. Maybe they were pulling shite out of their arses and played the game of the season but what they did was infuriatingly effective.

First I have to say that I absolutely can't stand Mayfield...he's in the same territory as Big Ben as far as I'm concerned...but...I have to agree with the above.  His throws were EXACTLY in the only place they could have been for success.  On many of the completions the coverage was actually very good, but somehow he managed to thread the needle and/or his receivers made impressive catches.  I know Phillips was the Sewer Brewer award recipient in many folks eyes, especially with the 2 game ending completions, but his coverage was actually pretty damn good...just sucks he couldn't get a finger on either of them.  Mayfield was a tale of two players yesterday...for as bad as he looked early, he looked awesome later...so props to him.  Very frustrating that somehow, struggling players always seem to have the game of their lives when they play us.  :(

Archived