Good, Bad, and Ugly (Browns round two)

2 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

First I have to say that I absolutely can't stand Mayfield...he's in the same territory as Big Ben as far as I'm concerned...but...I have to agree with the above.  His throws were EXACTLY in the only place they could have been for success.  On many of the completions the coverage was actually very good, but somehow he managed to thread the needle and/or his receivers made impressive catches.  I know Phillips was the Sewer Brewer award recipient in many folks eyes, especially with the 2 game ending completions, but his coverage was actually pretty damn good...just sucks he couldn't get a finger on either of them.  Mayfield was a tale of two players yesterday...for as bad as he looked early, he looked awesome later...so props to him.  Very frustrating that somehow, struggling players always seem to have the game of their lives when they play us.  :(

Yep, we all like to find somebody to blame for any given loss, but we really have to give credit where it's due, as much as it makes the puke rise up my throat. Mayfield and his receivers played a helluva game.

Odell Beckham JR is currently ranked 45th in receiving yards.  Can anyone explain why everyone keeps slobbering all over this guy?  He hasn’t been a top receiver in years.  Monday Night halftime we are about to get a report on him. Dude isn’t close to the best receiver on his own team. 

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Odell Beckham JR is currently ranked 45th in receiving yards.  Can anyone explain why everyone keeps slobbering all over this guy?  He hasn’t been a top receiver in years.  Monday Night halftime we are about to get a report on him. Dude isn’t close to the best receiver on his own team. 

Agreed...just saw a online news site picture of him with the attention grabbing caption that said "NFL SUPERSTAR out for the year with ACL injury"...I had to double check the dateline to see if it said 2016.

17 hours ago, Duluoz said:

I'm not so sure Cincy "let" Mayfield look like Joe Montana. As much as it kills me to say it, Mayfield was throwing darts all over the field and his receivers were making one spectacular catch after another. Maybe they were pulling shite out of their arses and played the game of the season but what they did was infuriatingly effective.

They did not pressure him or make him uncomfortable at all, Baker is not that good. Just watch him next week, he will revert back to the norm

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

They did not pressure him or make him uncomfortable at all, Baker is not that good. Just watch him next week, he will revert back to the norm

This.

The problem is less  our DBs (except maybe Bell who has disappointed) as it is a complete lack of pass rush.

This draft coming up would not even remotely disappoint me if we drafted on both sides of the line.

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

Agreed. Most of the Browns fans in my life are all in agreement that the Browns and Mayfield play better without OBJ because Mayfield doesn't feel like he has to force the ball to OBJ to keep him happy. 

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Yep, the lack of pressure is obviously on Cincy and allowed Mayfield to be as effective as he was...but then there were all those acrobatic catches that made me want to smash the remote...luck or skill, I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Yep, the lack of pressure is obviously on Cincy and allowed Mayfield to be as effective as he was...but then there were all those acrobatic catches that made me want to smash the remote...luck or skill, I'm not sure.

They made some great catches and Baker was dealing, but it's was like the Pro Bowl on defense.

3 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Another Good I don't want to mention...

Early in the game, Athens Joe floated one to A.J. short that floated into

a Brown's hands who flat out dropped it.

Im pretty sure AJ ran the wrong route. Looked like JB threw it to where he expected AJ to be. 

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Im pretty sure AJ ran the wrong route. Looked like JB threw it to where he expected AJ to be. 

AJ confirmed this in his presser - JB expected a come-back, AJ said he saw the corner "sitting" or something and decided to go.  It's fairly common for receivers to make a choice like that, it's up to the QB and receiver being on the same page and seeing the same things.  Given time they'd have probably been in sync and hooked up on the bomb.

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was Ross active? Another day on the sidelines?

No and Yes

No, he was not active.

Yes, another day on the sideline.

Put him out there as a decoy who, no matter how much he sucks, has to be accounted for just in case...

A bubblegum man on man cornerback.  Stay in this guy's pocket his whole route and keep your hands off him

until the ball hits his hands.  Couldn't be any worse in coverage on One Play a Day Darius or Toast Flop Pratt.

1/2 :ninja:

52 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Watching Cowheard completely change his tune from the start of the season to now is funny.....he's also not wrong about our defense.

At least he admits he was wrong.  With a mid ranked defense we would could win 9 games. As it stands I see maybe 3 more wins. 

I agree that Herbert, Murray and Joe B arrived just in time.  Add in Mahomies, Lamar and Trevor Lawrence and the future is bright.  Bunch of good to great old QBs about to retire soon.

I pray Lawrence avoids the Jets AND New England. I can’t imagine what kind of offers will be tossed around for the 1 pick. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

At least he admits he was wrong.  With a mid ranked defense we would could win 9 games. As it stands I see maybe 3 more wins. 

I agree that Herbert, Murray and Joe B arrived just in time.  Add in Mahomies, Lamar and Trevor Lawrence and the future is bright.  Bunch of good to great old QBs about to retire soon.  I pray Lawrence avoids the Jets. 

I really think if we can build the Oline and the Dline we have the makings of a very good team. 

I think Carlos is likely on his way out, Reader hopefully is the future at DT, draft a DE and a DT to be Geno's eventual replacement, then go get a RT and a RG and we are ok. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I really think if we can build the Oline and the Dline we have the makings of a very good team. 

I think Carlos is likely on his way out, Reader hopefully is the future at DT, draft a DE and a DT to be Geno's eventual replacement, then go get a RT and a RG and we are ok. 

Agreed.  That gets us near wildcard status.  I still think we need a new Burfict as well, one without the dumb penalties. It was a completely different team with Burfict at linebacker.  The impact Devins Bush and White had with their teams was immediate. Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds as well. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Agreed.  That gets us near wildcard status.  I still think we need a new Burfict as well, one without the dumb penalties. It was a completely different team with Burfict at linebacker.  The impact Devins Bush and White had with their teams was immediate. Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds as well. 

Agree on that too. I think we are a year away from being a playoff team and 2 from being able to win in the playoffs.

Archived