Hypothetical DC

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Huh? What makes you think that Mike Zimmer would choose to be a HC here? 

Zimmer isn't going to have a lot of options.  He's kind of bungled things.  His offense has always stunk and now his D isn't any good.  He's been given a pretty long leash in Minnesota and isn't getting it done.  I don't know why you would want him back as HC.  As DC, you bet.

Zimmer has been hamstrung by the fact he lost Bridgewater to injury early in his career, and then the team sold the farm to replace him. They never have really had a good QB there. I think Zimmer could be a great coach if he had a good QB. The lack of a good QB is what kills most coaching careers, so now that we have a good QB I think we could very easily convince Zimmer to coach here.

You could literally drive 2 hours north to mighty MAC country and pluck a better D-coordinator from some high school like Marion Local, Coldwater, or St Henry. Just pull him right out of one of those Mercer county bars half drunk and let them coach the Bengals defense. It would be a noticeable motherfucking upgrade.  

9 minutes ago, saphead said:

You could literally drive 2 hours north to mighty MAC country and pluck a better D-coordinator from some high school like Marion Local, Coldwater, or St Henry. Just pull him right out of one of those Mercer county bars half drunk and let them coach the Bengals defense. It would be a noticeable motherfucking upgrade.  

None of that changes the fact that this team is playing with about one and a half actual NFL defensive linemen right now. That's a pretty big problem. I'm all for change going forward, I'm just not sure how much it'll matter with that group.

22 minutes ago, spicoli said:

None of that changes the fact that this team is playing with about one and a half actual NFL defensive linemen right now. That's a pretty big problem. I'm all for change going forward, I'm just not sure how much it'll matter with that group.

Since when, going into the season everyone, including you, thought that the defensive line was the best unit on the team. 

There's talent but the play calling and formations don't always put them in the best situations to win.

Take the last play of the game, why would the coaches call a man to man, just call a zone and defend the end zone. The only play that can beat you is a touch down.... It's pretty basic stuff.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Since when, going into the season everyone, including you, thought that the defensive line was the best unit on the team. 

There's talent but the play calling and formations don't always put them in the best situations to win.

Take the last play of the game, why would the coaches call a man to man, just call a zone and defend the end zone. The only play that can beat you is a touch down.... It's pretty basic stuff.

Well, the Browns were sitting at a 42 yard FG and the Bengals probably wanted to keep them there.  Can't blame them for trying to win right there.  Mayfield had shredded the zone when the Bengals ran it, but Mayfield pretty much shredded everything the Bengals did in the second half. 

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Well, the Browns were sitting at a 42 yard FG and the Bengals probably wanted to keep them there.  Can't blame them for trying to win right there.  Mayfield had shredded the zone when the Bengals ran it, but Mayfield pretty much shredded everything the Bengals did in the second half. 

I don't understand that reasoning because at that point you have already given up the field goal. Just keep them out the end zone, play quarters, drop 8 guys in the end zone.

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't understand that reasoning because at that point you have already given up the field goal. Just keep them out the end zone, play quarters, drop 8 guys in the end zone.

A 42 yarder isn't a chip shot, and honestly I think the Bengals DBs are better man to man.  They are horrible in a zone.  Well, some of them are just plain horrible.  Looking at Sims and Phillips.

4 hours ago, saphead said:

If you're going to MAC Country, how about Joe Burrow's father?

Retired DC for Ohio University?

:ninja:

I'll give credit where credit's due, I thought the offense was really well coached yesterday. Some new plays AND they were executed fairly well. Play calling was creative and they weathered O-line changes like an NFL team should. 

As for defense, yeah, it's a disaster. It took them forever to hire Lou. There's a reason he was the only guy left. I'd replace him with Duffner for now

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

A 42 yarder isn't a chip shot, and honestly I think the Bengals DBs are better man to man.  They are horrible in a zone.  Well, some of them are just plain horrible.  Looking at Sims and Phillips.

True. Remember they missed the extra point

Archived