Letter from Michael Moore to President Bush

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
Friday, September 2nd, 2005
Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

[url="http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/print.php?messageDate=2005-09-02"]http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/...Date=2005-09-02[/url]

[quote]Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.[/quote]

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]= he may be rich, fat, and goofy looking...

But there isn't much Bush can say in response to this fuck up [/b][/i]

[img]http://www.seedsofdoubt.com/distressedamerican/images/graphics/Dissent-Bumper-Small.jpg[/img]

[quote]Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers?[/quote]

BJ,
Moore's is wrong again. <_< The Norfolk based Amphibious Assault Ship the USS Bataan has been running disaster relief eforts since Tuesday, the day after the Hurricane. The Bataan deploys the MH-53E Sea Dragon with crew compliment of eight. The helicopter is part of the Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 out of Corpus Christ, TX.
The unprecedented act by President Bush declaring the State of Louisiana a disaster area prior to landfall of the hurricane , allowed for the Bataan to respond so fast.

[quote]Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?[/quote]

Hey Mikey, as usual, your wrong again.

The National Guard rooted in the English and early colonial tradition of citizen-soldiers providing local protection and law enforcement, these Revolutionary War veterans and their families quickly organized into local militia units. Reflecting the provisions of the U.S. Constitution establishing the need for "a well regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state," the federal government passed the Militia Act of 1792 which required all able bodied men ages 18-45 to serve in their local militia units and provide their own weapons and equipment. It further authorized the Governor of each state to appoint an Adjutant General to enact the orders of the Governor and to supervise unit training and organization. [color="blue"]Reflecting the founding father’s distrust of a large standing army, it strictly limited the ability of the militia to serve outside of their state borders and placed effective control with the Governor rather than the federal government.[/color]

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]Reflecting the founding father’s distrust of a large standing army, it strictly limited the ability of the militia to serve outside of their state borders and placed effective control with the Governor rather than the federal government.[/quote]

[b]Lawman you do realize that is outdated don't you

Are you contending now that Bush did not send the Natl Guard to Iraq...

I have heard it all now :blink: [/b]

Thats a great letter. Is Moore actually going to mail it to the President? My only fear is that Moore used too many big words in the letter and Bush will get frustrated and wont finish reading it. :)

[quote][color="blue"]Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there[/color][/quote]

To nullify another one of Moore's innuendo's; lacking of military assets.

USNS Mercy, Comfort's sister hospital ship, is slated to leave San Diego for the Gulf Coast Sept. 7 to join the relief effort, Navy officials confirmed.

The carrier USS Harry S. Truman and dock landing ship USS Whidbey Island also are en route to the region to support operations, as well as the Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group. One of the group's ships, USNS Arctic, already is on station providing fuel and supplies for naval support efforts, Navy officials said.

USS Grapple also is on the way, with 31 drivers aboard to assist with maritime and underwater survey operations.

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 4 2005, 01:08 PM'][b]Lawman you do realize that is outdated don't you
Are you contending now that Bush did not send the Natl Guard to Iraq...

I have heard it all now  :blink: [/b]
[right][post="142081"][/post][/right][/quote]

see the pretty blue underline print

Army and Air National Guard members operating [color="blue"][u]under their state governors' authority[/u][/color] continued to make up the biggest percentage of the DoD response to Hurricane Katrina.

More than 320,000 National Guard soldiers and airmen from every state, as well as their equipment, are available to support emergency operations if needed, [color="blue"][u]thanks to formal agreements between state governors, officials said[/u].[/color]

LT. Gen. Honore :headbang:

BJ,

just some more info on the Guard

The National Guard serves both the state and nation in times of need, and soldiers and airmen in the Guard swear an oath to protect and defend not just the Constitution of the United States, but also of the State in which they serve. In peacetime, the Guard is commanded by the governors of the respective States and Territories (the District of Columbia National Guard is commanded directly by the President). We assist civil leaders during natural disasters, state emergencies and civil unrest. Civil laws, particularly the Posse Comitatus act of 1878, limit the use of Federal troops (to include Federal Reserve components like the Army Reserve and the Air Force Reserve) to enforce the law. The National Guard, when acting in its capacity as State troops, does not fall under these restrictions and thus can augment civil authorities in maintaining law and order.

[quote]Lawman you do realize that is outdated don't you[/quote]

In 1903, important national defense legislation increased the role of the National Guard (as the militia was now called) as a Reserve force for the U.S. Army. In World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, the National Guard made up 40% of the U.S. combat divisions in France; in World War II, National Guard units were among the first to deploy overseas and the first to fight.

If i were you, I would be calling for FDR's head :blink:

Nevermind, he's already dead -_-

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 4 2005, 01:07 PM']Makes me wish I was still on a gator freighter.

I prefer my bird farms (Carriers). Best description of Flight Deck OPS is truly "Poetry in motion" :D Especially at night. :headbang:

On the other hand, Bush admin actions are inexcusable, and there is a precedent for that. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]
[right][post="142080"][/post][/right][/quote]

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]The National Guard serves both the state and nation in times of need, and soldiers and airmen in the Guard swear an oath to protect and defend not just the Constitution of the United States, but also of the State in which they serve.[/quote]

[i][b]I didn't see illegally invade a soveriegn nation to steal Oil for the President on any of those duties....[/b][/i]

Archived