Good, Bad, and Ugly (Titans)

The good: Offense, offense, offense. The patchwork OL played great 😊. Again, Gio Bernard quietly had a great game. Burrow- well, he just continues to make plays, as do our receivers. Auden Tate had some nice stretches for a first down. 

Special teams did well also. Nice run back on the last kickoff and Huber’s last punt was a thing of beauty.

Bad-Our defense got run over, literally, and still couldn’t tackle. But, they did enough to win.

Ugly: Our defense right before the half. Fortunately, the Titans couldn’t manage the clock to get a score, shockingly.

GOOD

Joe Burrow-He seems to have a standing spot here for me. It wasn't super flashy and the stats weren't gaudy but this kid has so much moxie. Made some serious throws yesterday.

Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate-Nice game by this trio. 23 targets, 19 receptions for 210 yards and a TD

Gio Bernard-4.1 YPC for 78 yards and two TDs from scrimmage. Continues to be one of the best pass blockers in the game. When Mixon returns, they need to find a way to keep using Gio.

Zac Taylor-We all like to beat him up but, he did a good job this week preparing this team for a very good Tennessee team with a broken down offensive line and the stank of Carlos Dunlap just starting to dissipate.

Jessie Bates-9 solo tackles, a pass defended and a big INT in the end zone. This guy is our must re-sign free agent this offseason.

Quinton Spain-As someone noted, the Titans aren't necessarily the benchmark on which to judge your offensive line but, they are still a legit NFL team. Spain came in with very little prep time and looked very, very good in there. I hope this is a sign of things to come and the Bengals can get him on a 3 year contract. Would be nice if they've found another piece for this beleagured line.

Hakeem Adeniji, Billy Price and Fred Johnson-Patchwork offensive line allows zero sacks and makes space for Gio to operate. Hats off to you, boys.

Logan Wilson-Not a super flashy performance and only registered two tackles but he is a very solid LB for us. They need to get more LBs to help him in the draft or in free agency unless Davis-Gaither and Pratt can dramatically improve.

Special Teams-Great effort with some big plays at key times.

BAD

Carl Lawson-Lining up offside is the dumbest penalty there is. Totally avoidable. Vonn Bell actually did something in the passing game and Lawson screws him over. Cost the Bengals a TD. He also needs to take better angles. He gets into the backfield so quickly but he often is nowhere near the QB and/or he overruns the play. If he can fix that, he could be prolific. He gets a lot of hits. I'd like to see those turn in to sacks.

UGLY

Run Defense-Titans had 200+ yards on the ground averaging 7.5 yards per carry. Shockingly, the Bengals are only the third worst rush defense in the league. Thank you to the Texans and Cowboys. This really needs to be addressed.

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

GOOD

Gio Bernard-4.1 YPC for 78 yards and two TDs from scrimmage. Continues to be one of the best pass blockers in the game. When Mixon returns, they need to find a way to keep using Gio.

Jessie Bates-9 solo tackles, a pass defended and a big INT in the end zone. This guy is our must re-sign free agent this offseason.

If Bernard goes back to 3 carries per game and blocking on third down Taylor is a moron.  This guy is a gamer.  He needs to be part of the gameplan because he's effective AND he takes some wear and tear off Mixon.  If they go back to giving Mixon 20 plus carries a game he is going to get hurt again.

What Jackson and Bates do as FAs will tell you a lot about if the team is actually moving forward.

6 hours ago, BengalBryan said:

Spain made a huge splash..Price playing good..Johnson playing good also..things looking great for this line

i just did a rewatch of offensive line 3x, johnson was the worst, price second worst, spain played well but was 3rd worst, then idiniji(sp) and redman has the best day.

this is based on did his guy make the tackel, did his guy get past him for pressure, and did he seemingly miss his assignment and let a guy run free, 

fred got beat like a fucking drum, but the gameplan and quick passes and designed roll outs prevented it from causing much issue.

just my non-professional analysis.

12 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

i just did a rewatch of offensive line 3x, johnson was the worst, price second worst, spain played well but was 3rd worst, then idiniji(sp) and redman has the best day.

this is based on did his guy make the tackel, did his guy get past him for pressure, and did he seemingly miss his assignment and let a guy run free, 

fred got beat like a fucking drum, but the gameplan and quick passes and designed roll outs prevented it from causing much issue.

just my non-professional analysis.

In the future you can appear more professional with one easy trick:   Instead of saying "Fred got beat like a fucking drum" say "I give Fred a Not-Sucking-Ass Coefficient of 54.9"

Boom, analysis.

Jokes aside "No Sacks Allowed" would be a nice habit to get into but I have no illusions.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

In the future you can appear more professional with one easy trick:   Instead of saying "Fred got beat like a fucking drum" say "I give Fred a Not-Sucking-Ass Coefficient of 54.9"

Boom, analysis.

Jokes aside "No Sacks Allowed" would be a nice habit to get into but I have no illusions.

yea its a bit misleading, the offense is hampered by the need for quick throws. anything we planned deeper was a planned roll out to buy time, even pulling opposite side linemen to help block the roll out. some exceptions of course.

would be incredible to have a legit line with this QB. also an upgrade at WR in 1 spot would do wonders once thats fixed... until then it doesnt matter much..

17 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

anything we planned deeper was a planned roll out to buy time, even pulling opposite side linemen to help block the roll out.

Which begs the question of where these adjustments have been all season, but better late than never.  A slew of injuries making your team better probably isn't such a great thing in the long run but best not to think too deeply on it right now.  Take the W.

If they come out of the bye and give Shitsburgh a game I have to admit I should back off Taylor a little.  That would be a solid indicator of change because this is the kind of game we've been destroyed in over recent years.   Bye week, Stealers, prime time (ish).  Show up for this one & it would definitely make a statement.

Again, no illusions.  We took advantage of some favorable match-ups and a couple guys balled out.  That's usually a W but I don't think anything is "fixed" because of it.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

If Bernard goes back to 3 carries per game and blocking on third down Taylor is a moron.  This guy is a gamer.  He needs to be part of the gameplan because he's effective AND he takes some wear and tear off Mixon.  If they go back to giving Mixon 20 plus carries a game he is going to get hurt again.

How about finding ways to have both on the field at the same time?

33 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

How about finding ways to have both on the field at the same time?

Gio is out there with RB1 sometimes but in a split out of the shotgun.  If it's a draw it's to the other guy, he's almost always on some block/release option.  I don't think they trust most of our OL to pull for stretch runs or execute the screen plays & misdirection where a back like Gio typically makes hay.  That doesn't only suck for him in the run game because those same plays are how you slow down defenses that are selling out to get to JB.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Which begs the question of where these adjustments have been all season, but better late than never.  A slew of injuries making your team better probably isn't such a great thing in the long run but best not to think too deeply on it right now.  Take the W.

If they come out of the bye and give Shitsburgh a game I have to admit I should back off Taylor a little.  That would be a solid indicator of change because this is the kind of game we've been destroyed in over recent years.   Bye week, Stealers, prime time (ish).  Show up for this one & it would definitely make a statement.

Again, no illusions.  We took advantage of some favorable match-ups and a couple guys balled out.  That's usually a W but I don't think anything is "fixed" because of it.

well...

bengals have scored over 30 points in half of their games. thats a top 10 offense.

the other games being 27, 23, 13(tho robbed of 7 at end of game) and 3 against ravens.

tbh, as much heat as taylor has received for the losing, the offense. his offense, and his playcalling, have us a top offense more times than not. 

a rookie qb, busted line, #1 WR coming off nearly 2 years sidelines, losing your #1 TE early, an endless rotation at OL.. etc..

the fact we have scored over 30 points 4/8 times is damn near a miracle.

had this scenario been proposed before the season started, everyone would have been on board.

"offense will start slow with no preseason and little to no camp, after the start, only the ravens will keep them under 20 points, scoring 30+ points in half the games."

thats someone everyone would have taken.

the ravens and steelers have next level defenders up front, and scheme to match. you cant make an adjustment to beat out top defenses. you need to be closer in talent level up front, IMO

Archived