2020 Offensive Potential

Our offense is playing well right now, and there's potential to get MUCH better.

1. The offense line:  This is the obvious one.  Yesterday, with 4 of the 5 starters out, they had their best game of the season.  This is encouraging.  If Billy Price, Adiniji (sp?) and one of the new guards can play well, that will open up the draft for us. 

2.  WRs:  This group is good.  Boyd and Higgins are the future, but it always seems like they're making tough catches.  If Zac and Brian can scheme some people open the WRs would look even better.  I think we're limited because of our line, but the number of contested catches is impressive.

3. Burrow:  He hasn't reached '05 Carson yet, but he's done more than I could have ever imagined.  Going into the draft I was concerned about his one year of production in college and his below average arm...none of that seems to matter.  He's had a great rookie season thus far, and if we can protect him better and have at least an average running game, the sky's the limit for this kid.  Hopefully Mixon is back after they bye,  but Gio has been producing -- hopefully the staff sees this and gets him more involved even when Mixon is back.  I'd still like to see Burrow's pass attempts come down some if we can run the ball more consistently. 

I like where these guys are going on offense, but there is a big difference between the top and bottom defenses these days.  Remember what Baltimore did to Burrow and that line.  Pittsburgh will try to do much the same.  We'll see if they have progressed that much.  Not trying to downplay their success, but be realistic about the tough road ahead.  Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Burrow does not have a “below average arm”. It’s not elite, but it’s above average. 

I disagree with that.  "below average" in the NFL is still top 5% of the human population (probably).  When I think about "arm", I'm thinking about how much stink you can put on the ball.  From an accuracy perspective, Burrow is great, I just don't think he can put the velocity on it that you see from other QBs.  Maybe I should have said below average for NFL starters.  Off the top of my head, here's who I think have a stronger arm.

Josh Allen

Cam

Darnold

Lamar

Ben

D. Watson

Dak

Daniel Jones

Wentz

Haskins

Stafford

Rodgers

Lock

Mahommes

Carr

Herbert

Kyler Murray

Jimmy G.

Russ

That's 18 out of 32 teams...that would be below average.  With that being said, having a below average arm doesn't mean you're a bad QB at all.

The offense is clearly a bright spot in 2020. It is limited by its lack of speed. We need to make an effort to increase speed at the skill positions in the off season. This and the O-line puts Burrow in a ten yard box. Amazing what he's been able to accomplish considering that opposing defenses can stack the box against him

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I like where these guys are going on offense, but there is a big difference between the top and bottom defenses these days.  Remember what Baltimore did to Burrow and that line.  Pittsburgh will try to do much the same.  We'll see if they have progressed that much.  Not trying to downplay their success, but be realistic about the tough road ahead.  Fingers crossed.

This is a great point.  If we can put up 20+ vs. Pittsburgh, that will be a nice accomplishment.  It all starts up front and if the pressure does get to Burrow, he can't panic like it did a couple of times vs. Baltimore.  I think the team as a whole will be more prepared and will play better.  I don't think we'll win, but we should be competitive. 

In addition to sizeable improvements on the offensive line, Burrow needs an above average pass catching TE. He has never been and never will be a big bomb QB who chucks the ball down the sidelines. He's an inside passer and a solid TE would be a huge help. The skill positions otherwise are in pretty good shape. Everyone says they need to add a burner and while I am not opposed, I am not convinced that will be of much value. Fix the offensive line, get a bonafide TE and this team will be trouble for any defense.

In the interim, I fear for Joe's health against those buttfuckers from Pittsburgh.

35 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

In addition to sizeable improvements on the offensive line, Burrow needs an above average pass catching TE. He has never been and never will be a big bomb QB who chucks the ball down the sidelines. He's an inside passer and a solid TE would be a huge help. The skill positions otherwise are in pretty good shape. Everyone says they need to add a burner and while I am not opposed, I am not convinced that will be of much value. Fix the offensive line, get a bonafide TE and this team will be trouble for any defense.

In the interim, I fear for Joe's health against those buttfuckers from Pittsburgh.

I don't disagree with this but I think it has to wait, this coming draft I hope we take DE and OL in 1 and 2, and fill out from there. I think in Burrow's 3rd year we can get him a top TE.

This offense is just fun to watch, and it's been a long time since I've said that. Every week there are at least 2 or 3 plays where I just say "Wow! How did they do that?"

And they need to find a way to keep Gio on the field when Mixon gets back. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't disagree with this but I think it has to wait, this coming draft I hope we take DE and OL in 1 and 2, and fill out from there. I think in Burrow's 3rd year we can get him a top TE.

I agree.  You can fish for a burner at WR from smaller schools late in the draft. 

3 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

The offense is clearly a bright spot in 2020. It is limited by its lack of speed. We need to make an effort to increase speed at the skill positions in the off season. This and the O-line puts Burrow in a ten yard box. Amazing what he's been able to accomplish considering that opposing defenses can stack the box against him

well if we fix the o-line, we dont need a pile of speedsters. as route design and time can get guys open, which is how it should be. but i get the point, currently it doesnt matter if anyone can be someone 40 yards downfield, burrow will be dead by the time he gets there.

i am so iffy on aj green because of this, i dont know if he has lost his skills or not, he was hampered by the hammy early and the 1.5 years off, but we still dont know his value since we are basically playing with 4 slot receivers as far as route tree goes.

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I disagree with that.  "below average" in the NFL is still top 5% of the human population (probably).  When I think about "arm", I'm thinking about how much stink you can put on the ball.  From an accuracy perspective, Burrow is great, I just don't think he can put the velocity on it that you see from other QBs.  Maybe I should have said below average for NFL starters.  Off the top of my head, here's who I think have a stronger arm.

Josh Allen

Cam

Darnold

Lamar

Ben

D. Watson

Dak

Daniel Jones

Wentz

Haskins

Stafford

Rodgers

Lock

Mahommes

Carr

Herbert

Kyler Murray

Jimmy G.

Russ

That's 18 out of 32 teams...that would be below average.  With that being said, having a below average arm doesn't mean you're a bad QB at all.

No it certainly doesnt mean hes bad lol..

Joe Montana had about the same arm...JBs might be stronger..

Drew Brees never had a gun but threw

a few td passes..

His uncanny ability tp put just where his tall receivers can make a play stands out to me..

8 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Our offense is playing well right now, and there's potential to get MUCH better.

1. The offense line:  This is the obvious one.  Yesterday, with 4 of the 5 starters out, they had their best game of the season.  This is encouraging.  If Billy Price, Adiniji (sp?) and one of the new guards can play well, that will open up the draft for us. 

2.  WRs:  This group is good.  Boyd and Higgins are the future, but it always seems like they're making tough catches.  If Zac and Brian can scheme some people open the WRs would look even better.  I think we're limited because of our line, but the number of contested catches is impressive.

3. Burrow:  He hasn't reached '05 Carson yet, but he's done more than I could have ever imagined.  Going into the draft I was concerned about his one year of production in college and his below average arm...none of that seems to matter.  He's had a great rookie season thus far, and if we can protect him better and have at least an average running game, the sky's the limit for this kid.  Hopefully Mixon is back after they bye,  but Gio has been producing -- hopefully the staff sees this and gets him more involved even when Mixon is back.  I'd still like to see Burrow's pass attempts come down some if we can run the ball more consistently. 

Very good post to read..

A couple things..

1. Allways include Auden Tate in the mix..I dont know what he has to do to get the recognition that he is a bonavide threat now..

2.Billy Price...Hes everything youd like to have in a Oline leader..

Hrs dealt with injuries and now he isnt..

His 31" arms have allways been my concern ..

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

well if we fix the o-line, we dont need a pile of speedsters. as route design and time can get guys open, which is how it should be. but i get the point, currently it doesnt matter if anyone can be someone 40 yards downfield, burrow will be dead by the time he gets there.

i am so iffy on aj green because of this, i dont know if he has lost his skills or not, he was hampered by the hammy early and the 1.5 years off, but we still dont know his value since we are basically playing with 4 slot receivers as far as route tree goes.

On AJ..

Hopefully he can be a contributor 

by catching a better percentage ..

Like to see him make more contested catches cause hes not beating anyone down the field anymore..

Tates about to replace him imo..

Bengals will look to add another receiver in draft..

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I did not like the Sample pick when it happened and there were better players there that we could have really used. But frankly I have been impressed with Samples direction. He is catching the ball and going down tough. He has blown a few DBs out of their cleats in his downfield blocking as well. No, I don't see ProBowl or anything but I don't think we have seen the best out of him yet. I am all for upgrading any position where it can happen but I don't think TE is a top need. He is a pretty tough guy and he fights. We can always use fighters on this team.

32 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

I did not like the Sample pick when it happened and there were better players there that we could have really used. But frankly I have been impressed with Samples direction. He is catching the ball and going down tough. He has blown a few DBs out of their cleats in his downfield blocking as well. No, I don't see ProBowl or anything but I don't think we have seen the best out of him yet. I am all for upgrading any position where it can happen but I don't think TE is a top need. He is a pretty tough guy and he fights. We can always use fighters on this team.

Sample was a leader on offense at Washington even though they didnt target him much..

He was a great pass option blocker..

The Bengals are using him right and yes hes a fighter.

I said he reminded me of Heath Miller and he still does..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

No it certainly doesnt mean hes bad lol..

Joe Montana had about the same arm...JBs might be stronger..

Drew Brees never had a gun but threw

a few td passes..

His uncanny ability tp put just where his tall receivers can make a play stands out to me..

Totally agree.  I have no issues with Burrow at this point.  It's the offense around him, specifically the line and lack of competent speed at WR.  For me, his arm strength was a concern going into the draft.  I'm thinking about bad weather games in Cincy, Pitt, Baltimore and Cleveland and really trying to drive the ball in the wind.  Luckily, we haven't had one of those games yet and he may prove to be able to handle that better than Baker did yesterday.

Archived