1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

For those who watch the games in more detail then I do - what is the status of the LB group?

Pratt seems to have gone disappeared and PFF rating this past week was awful. 

Pratt has regressed and I'm hoping its a sophomore slump. 

Bynes is the new A.J. Hawk.

Logan Wilson shows up once in awhile but otherwise, they give a whole new meaning to Who Dey.

Who Dey, indeed?

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Pratt has regressed and I'm hoping its a sophomore slump. 

Bynes is the new A.J. Hawk.

Logan Wilson shows up once in awhile but otherwise, they give a whole new meaning to Who Dey.

Who Dey, indeed?

The are not using the linebackers the right way,and the same with the d-line.bengals need a new defensive coordinator,in a bad way.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Hard to tell too much from the LB's considering who they've got playing in front of them right now. Until that DL group gets settled there are going to be issues in the back 7 regardless of who's in there.

This.  When the o-linemen are getting to the linebackers it’s hard to tell.  I like Wilson.  He makes a couple plays a game it seems.  Haven’t noticed him getting torched either. 

From what I’ve seen Wilson looks like a future occasional pro bowl player. The rest I think the jury is still out on. 
I still have hope for Pratt. This is only his 3rd year playing LB and he’s had a different LB coach every year. 

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

From what I’ve seen Wilson looks like a future occasional pro bowl player. The rest I think the jury is still out on. 
I still have hope for Pratt. This is only his 3rd year playing LB and he’s had a different LB coach every year. 

Yep...i dont like Al Golden either..

This group is young...

I still have hope for this unit...

Linebacker has got to be the weakest position on this team over the past two decades. When was the last time a drafted LB panned out and/or was developed? Here are the drafted linebackers over the past ten years:

Roddrick Muckelroy

Dontay Moch

Sean Porter

Marquis Flowers

PJ Dawson

Nick Vigil

Jordan Evans

Malik Jefferson

Germaine Pratt

Deshaun Davis

Logan Wilson

Akeem Davis-Gaither

Markus Bailey

I will give Wilson and Davis-Gaither a pass but, what a bag of dicks that group is.

Throw in the free agent linebackers over the past decade now...

Josh Bynes

Preston Brown

Kevin Minter

Karlos Dansby

AJ Hawk

Chris Carter

Nico Johnson

Michael Boley

James Harrison

Manny Lawson

Brandon Johnson

Thomas Howard

Yikes!

I think the current group has some promise but, the only way the group gets better is by adding solid players through the draft and free agency. I don't see that being a priority any time soon so let's hope this group develops. 

33 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Linebacker has got to be the weakest position on this team over the past two decades. When was the last time a drafted LB panned out and/or was developed? Here are the drafted linebackers over the past ten years:

Roddrick Muckelroy

Dontay Moch

Sean Porter

Marquis Flowers

PJ Dawson

Nick Vigil

Jordan Evans

Malik Jefferson

Germaine Pratt

Deshaun Davis

Logan Wilson

Akeem Davis-Gaither

Markus Bailey

I will give Wilson and Davis-Gaither a pass but, what a bag of dicks that group is.

Throw in the free agent linebackers over the past decade now...

Josh Bynes

Preston Brown

Kevin Minter

Karlos Dansby

AJ Hawk

Chris Carter

Nico Johnson

Michael Boley

James Harrison

Manny Lawson

Brandon Johnson

Thomas Howard

Yikes!

I think the current group has some promise but, the only way the group gets better is by adding solid players through the draft and free agency. I don't see that being a priority any time soon so let's hope this group develops. 

Wow that is a shit list!

Hopefully Logan Wilson changes that

in time..Davis-Gaither looks lost right now but he has speed..

Pratt might be solid as time goes on..

Yeah they need more quality backers.

Their top priority should be pass rushing DE, oline and wideout imo..

Can you find a good backer in round 4???

As BFITO pointed out, the Bengals have a terrible track record with drafting LBs, you can go back further and find more trash easily (Rivers, Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller, etc).  They also allow guys to leave who either looked like up-and-comers or the Bengals didn't know how to use properly (Ahmad Brooks). 

What I see this year is more of the same - they have guys with some talent but they don't seem to be put into situations they can succeed in, which is important for LBs who aren't allowed to freelance.  Pratt is a good example, the guy looks lost in coverage, like, completely out of it - but when his assignment is on run fits he often does just fine.  And Davis-Gaither has looked quite good on some plays and then on others he's like Pratt - looking around, throwing his hands up, seemingly asking what he's supposed to do.  You can pin some of that on the player but when it spreads across the unit you have to blame the coaches IMO.  You can point to Wilson as well, you can tell he has a lot of instinct and talent but a lot of the time he's not "in on the play" which appears to be because his assignment takes him away from it.  They have to get these guys into position to succeed by allowing them to stop "thinking/wondering" and have them just running to spots.  Maybe it's a matter of getting an elite LB who can get everyone aligned, but it's sad if you need a messiah to fix your problems, especially on defense.

I think Brooks was let go due to conduct issues. He was pretty good.  

Burfict, an UDFA, was the only one other teams worried about.  

A washed up AJ Hawk was one of the better ones which is sad. 

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

What’s the latest on Bailey?

He is pitching for the Twins. 

As far as Pratt goes, he is playing about as well as you would expect a 3rd round linebacker to play.   If you want a good linebacker you almost always have to draft in the first round. The problem with that is....

The Brown family has had terrible luck picking LBs in the first round.  Takeo Spikes being the only quality pick to be honest.  Rivers looked good until he was murdered by the Stealers. 

Archived