Fire Zac Shula and go after Jim Harbaugh...

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Except his Dad built winning teams centered around the trenches and very good coaches. 

His dad was a sub .500 coach with the Bengals and never won a playoff game. As the Owner/GM he was also sub .500 but did manage 2 AFC  Championships.

The problem is his teams never sustained success.  Kinda sad that during the 23 years of the Bengal’s “Heyday” they won only 5 playoff games. Worse is they haven’t won one since. 

Paul Brown’s legend was built before 1968. He never adopted to the promotional aspects of the league nor the fact the players deserved to be treated like professionals.  The growing power of the player’s union, celebrity of the players,  and advent of free agency were things he never adapted to. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Paul Brown’s legend was built before 1968. He never adopted to the promotional aspects of the league nor the fact the players deserved to be treated like professionals.  The growing power of the player’s union, celebrity of the players,  and advent of free agency were things he never adapted to. 

I think we can give PB credit for taking a new franchise and building a pretty good roster quickly (even with the Greg Cook misfortune). The 70's though they were up against the Stealers and Raiders who were pretty dominant. 

The game did pass him by and he was as stubborn as MB in that regard. I guess we should never say the game passed someone by, we should say they refused to adapt to changes in the game. The game, like all sports, like all business is constantly changing and adaptation is critical to success and long term sustained success. 

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think we can give PB credit for taking a new franchise and building a pretty good roster quickly (even with the Greg Cook misfortune). The 70's though they were up against the Stealers and Raiders who were pretty dominant. 

The game did pass him by and he was as stubborn as MB in that regard. I guess we should never say the game passed someone by, we should say they refused to adapt to changes in the game. The game, like all sports, like all business is constantly changing and adaptation is critical to success and long term sustained success. 

I don't think the game passed PB by, but management techniques sure did.  PB was always interested in guys who pressed the envelope on offense.  Apparently he fought with Bill Walsh all the time, but knew he was an offensive genius.  Sam Wyche got the call because of all of his innovations on offense.  Never forgot the game in '85 vs. the Cowboys where Wyche destroyed the famed "flex" defense.  He called crazy plays where RB in motion took a quick handoff up the middle and gashed the hell out of them.  Also the game where the Cowboys center called Tim Krumrie "Krummy" pregame.  Hoo-boy was that a mistake!

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I don't think the game passed PB by, but management techniques sure did.  PB was always interested in guys who pressed the envelope on offense.  Apparently he fought with Bill Walsh all the time, but knew he was an offensive genius.  Sam Wyche got the call because of all of his innovations on offense.  Never forgot the game in '85 vs. the Cowboys where Wyche destroyed the famed "flex" defense.  He called crazy plays where RB in motion took a quick handoff up the middle and gashed the hell out of them.  Also the game where the Cowboys center called Tim Krumrie "Krummy" pregame.  Hoo-boy was that a mistake!

I don’t think the X and Os were PB’s issue. He literally was run out of Cleveland by the players, not management.  He treated them like high school players at Massillon and that didn’t go over well.  The sport was blowing up in popularity, the players realized they had some power,  and they were not going to have their careers shortened on the practice field.   

Adjusted for inflation the average salary was about $165,000 in 1962.  The players were not going to be treated like crap regardless of who it was. Even Lombardi saw the writing on the wall when he quit in 1967. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

His dad was a sub .500 coach with the Bengals and never won a playoff game. As the Owner/GM he was also sub .500 but did manage 2 AFC  Championships.

The problem is his teams never sustained success.  Kinda sad that during the 23 years of the Bengal’s “Heyday” they won only 5 playoff games. Worse is they haven’t won one since. 

Paul Brown was a winner with Ohio State

Paul Brown was a winner with Cleveland

Paul Brown was a loser in Cincinnati.  After 1970 (it was an accomplishment getting to the playoffs in 3rd year), he accomplished nothing.

And he passed over Bill Walsh and he birthed a loser son.

1 minute ago, tibor75 said:

Paul Brown was a winner with Ohio State

Paul Brown was a winner with Cleveland

Paul Brown was a loser in Cincinnati.  After 1970 (it was an accomplishment getting to the playoffs in 3rd year), he accomplished nothing.

And he passed over Bill Walsh and he birthed a loser son.

Well!....your not wrong..

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Harbaugh will be fired by Michigan and then hired by a lower tier Uni. 

I think it wii be a “mutual” divorce then I think he comes back to the pros.  It won’t be with the Bengals though, MB wouldn’t  pay him enough. 

Just my opinion. 

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Harbaugh will be fired by Michigan and then hired by a lower tier Uni. 

I doubt he gets fired.  Michigan can't afford it.  They are bleeding cash like every other school and eating an extra $10M makes zero sense especially since his recruiting class next year is currently ranked #6 I think.  Set the new guy up in 2022. 

Archived